Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Macbook Pro 13" (Intel Iris Plus 65...

2018 Macbook Pro 13" (Intel Iris Plus 655) + Asus RX Vega 64 @ 32 Gbps-TB3 + Razer Core X + Mojave 10.14.1 + Bootcamp Win10 [spiderweb]  

RSS

spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
Dec 3, 2018 11:41 pm  

MBPSetup
eGPUSetup

System specs:

2018 Macbook Pro 13" i5 Quad Core 2,3 Ghz. 16 Gb RAM. 1 Tb SDD.
Intel Iris Plus 655 iGPU
Samsung CJ791 34" UltraWide 4K Thunderbolt Display
Mojave 10.14.1
Bootcamp Win10 (October Build)

Benchmark (OS X):

Civilization VI in-game benchmark (3440x1440):
iGPU: 5-8 FPS
eGPU: approx. 30 FPS

Cities Skylines (Steam) (3440x1440) Graphics High:
iGPU: 5-10 FPS
eGPU: 60-80 FPS

Geekbench:
OpenCL: 133 005

Benchmark Bootcamp (Win10):

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Steam):
3440x1440 Highest: 38 FPS
                      High:      45 FPS
2560x1080 Highest: 51 FPS
                      High:      56 FPS

First tried this game with the original graphics drivers with no luck. Resulted in crash claiming something about insufficient resources for the graphics driver. The "fix" was to disable Direct X 12 from the game menu and after that I managed to run it with poor results: 10-30 FPS with all the above mentioned settings. Installed fresh drivers from bootcampdrivers.com and finally the performance was up to the expected level. Now running graphics driver version 25.20.14011.1003 included in the Bootcampdrivers.com Edition 18.11.1.

Unigine Valley:
3440x1440
4xAA
Ultra
50.1 FPS

Unigine Heaven:
3440x1440
2xAA
High
63.1 FPS

Geekbench:
OpenCL 169 536 (vs. Mac OSX 133 005 !)

Installation:

Run Bootcamp installer as per instructions.

*** Unplug all peripherals during installation. ***

That's it.

Result:

Everything in OS X working as should.
Internal monitor missing in Windows.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Dec 4, 2018 9:05 am  

It would be great to see some pics of your set up and some benchmarks in games... I'm really curious as to whether I would see much of a performance boost going from my 2017 13inch MBP to wither a 2018 model or a Mac mini and would be great to see some game frames I can compare mine to...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
Dec 4, 2018 12:39 pm  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

It would be great to see some pics of your set up and some benchmarks in games... I'm really curious as to whether I would see much of a performance boost going from my 2017 13inch MBP to wither a 2018 model or a Mac mini and would be great to see some game frames I can compare mine to...

Updated pics.
If the CPU does not bottleneck your eGPU then there should be no difference. However, I am not that aware of connection differences etc. "more in-depth" tech talk.
-->

https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator

--> Comparison 13" vs 15" (shows the non-existent difference of CPU's in the graphics performance):

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
Dec 4, 2018 1:03 pm  

Great pics, feels like a bit of a shame to hide the core under the desk no?
Cheers for that video link, although my situation is slightly different as I have the 2017 which is only a dual core while the 2018's are quad.

That Bottleneck calculator tells me mines quite bottlenecked!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
Dec 4, 2018 3:21 pm  

I like my desk free from all irrelevant gadgets and cable spagetti. All I need from the eGPU is the TB3 cable.

Also damping the noise from the Vega and keeping the pumping red lights out of my face.

🤨

In my opinion quad core is the minimum for eGPU due to future proofing.

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
Dec 4, 2018 11:01 pm  

@spiderweb no Error 12 in Bootcamp?

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
Dec 4, 2018 11:44 pm  
Posted by: Notorious826

@spiderweb no Error 12 in Bootcamp?

@Notorious826 No problems whatsoever.

ReplyQuote
zharrief
(@zharrief)
Dec 5, 2018 10:15 am  

Did you daisy-chain the eGPU through the monitor?

I just recently got the same monitor, and already had the Razer Core X and Vega RX 64 Strix, but I have a 6-core 2018 MBP, and daisy chaining did not work no matter what I did (disabling the PCI controller for left side ports and the 560X results in no output from anything, even the eGPU). If I didn't disable the controllers then it would give error 12 on the Vega 64 card, but the 560X worked and drove the internal and the monitor without issue. When I plug the eGPU in by itself, without TB3 from the monitor, then it works, but I lose all my USB devices that are connected to the monitor (and the internal monitor doesn't work, but I don't care about that). Plugging them both in separately (not daisy chaining) leads to error 12 unless I get lucky on a boot after disabling left side ports. 

I also have a GTX 1070 Gaming X laying around and ran into pretty much the same issue. Shame, because if the GTX 1070 worked then I would have finally achieved a one cable solution: I could use displayport over USB-C when in Mac OS by passing the NVidia GPU and its macOS driver issues, and use the eGPU when in Windows for gaming.

Victory is so close... but so far away...

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
Dec 5, 2018 7:15 pm  

If you look closely at the picture you can see two TB3 cables (zip tied together) right next to right side TB3 ports on MBP.
One going to the Core X and the other one is connected directly to the monitor. eGPU is connected to the monitor via HDMI.

If I don't use the eGPU then I just switch the TB3 cable and enjoy the silence.

Using Sonos Play:5 as an external speaker (behind the monitor) which is connected to the monitor's 3,5mm audio jack.
Keyboard, mouse and headphones are all connected via bluetooth...

I guess this does not help you much since I'm not using any USB peripherals.
But what I've understood the past few weeks browsing this forum the 15" MBP is a totally different thing due to the dGPU so you might want to check some builds concerning the 15" model.

zharrief liked
ReplyQuote
QwilfishTrainer
(@qwilfishtrainer)
Dec 14, 2018 12:22 am  

So... everything is just plug and play? On both macos and bootcamp? : o

ReplyQuote
IronBreed
(@ironbreed)
Dec 21, 2018 2:36 pm  

Did you leave everything plugged in from the beginning of boot process? Never had issues with Error 12?! Lucky you

Macbook Pro 13" i5/16/512 - Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 with Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Nintendo Switch - Sony KD55X8505 - Denon AVR-X1300W - Wharfedale Crystal 3 - Klipsch R-115SW
iPhone X 64GB Space Grey / iPhone X 64GB Silver - iPad Pro 128GB LTE - Apple Watch Series 2 - Synology DS218+ - Xbox Live ID: Iron Breed PSN - ID: IronBreed

ReplyQuote
(@arvin_iero)
Dec 22, 2018 2:01 am  

Hi, love your build! I've been struggling to decide whether get a razer core x and vega 64 or build a pc instead.

I'm using same 13" MacBook Pro 2018, mostly for designing in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and learn a 3D with Blender/SketchUp.
If I connect it with an eGPU and 1400p ultrawide monitor to play some game such as Fortnite or GTA V, can I get at least 60 FPS in an ultra setting with the same setup as yours? Also, does your MacBook get hot and loud when gaming?

ReplyQuote
spiderweb
(@spiderweb)
Dec 22, 2018 12:38 pm  

Sorry for delayed replies

@qwilfishtrainer
Everything worked as plug and play. I had a brand new MBP so it had a clean Mojave install although after setting up everything (i.e. importing files from old system, pics, music, documents etc.) I ran update check and it was upgraded to 10.14.1 at that time. Now running 10.14.2.
I did not use any TimeMachine backup since I wanted to start fresh after 9 years of collecting useless files and programs. However, I doubt this has nothing to do with plug-and-play capability unless your system is "tweaked" with a number of apps, settings, scripts etc.

@ironbreed
When I use the eGPU in Windows - yes. Everthing can be plugged in from the start and no Error12. (please mind, that this is a 13" MBP without a dGPU).
As reported in the build guide the internal screen will not work in Bootcamp (just showing the Windows logo) so you need an external monitor.
The boot up process is stupid in practical level since I am using bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Meaning that I have to boot by using the laptop's own keyboard by pressing the option key since it will not recognize the bt-keyboard fast enough during bootup. So no software issues or anything, just that I cannot keep the laptop always on the cradle and just switch OS's. Another thing is about the Core X because it will not recognize Mac's own sleep mode 100%. It will shut down the Vega but the Core's PSU fans will keep on spinning - and I have to power off the whole eGPU box with the manual switch. This means of course again taking the laptop from the cradle, opening lid -> remove eGPU safely -> unplug -> switch Core X off -> set laptop to sleep or power off. So one could argue that sleep mode isn't really an option anymore at least the way it was designed to be just to click mouse or keyboard to wake up the whole system.

@arvin_iero
I have not played GTA V or Fortnite on my system so unfortunately I cannot check performance for you, but Youtube seems to be full of different performance reviews that might help you. The fact is that Vega 64 is the top end AMD GPU (for a regular customer with a reasonable budget) so it is what it is. Also the 13" quad core processor starts to  bottleneck most GPU's above Vega 64 performance so eventually you would have to get a better laptop in the future. My aim was to get the top-end GPU that will not bottleneck the CPU and see how far this setup can go.
So far I am really impressed with the performance and to reach that 51 FPS @1080 with Highest-settings in Shadow of the Tomb Raider is already to my understanding "something" as the game is really demanding for any system - let alone this system which is theoretically run on a laptop.
With the eGPU running the MBP does not get that hot in any graphic intensive gaming but when it needs extra kick for the AI in Civilization VI for instance then it might occasionally spin the fans a bit more but generally speaking I don't even notice it running. I don't monitor any temps or anything on it because my perspective is that it is meant for use, it's new and it is under warranty and I assume it to work on any loads whenever needed.
Perhaps somebody who uses more of the software you mentioned can give you more information on those rendering, 3D, Adobe -stuff. Perhaps those processes need more CPU, thus more MBP fans spinning? Don't know.
Generally the Core X is the loud one in the room or more specifically the Vega 64. Perhaps they will design some passive cooling system for Vega 64 and all you hear is the PSU. Now I just crank up the in-game volume, use headphones or listen music while playing. After all the Vega 64 is a power house and needs to be cooled down...

---------

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2019 to all!

ReplyQuote
(@arden_shibley)
Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2019 5:08 pm  

Love the under desk! 

I have some 3M Dual Lock I want to use, just need to confirm the adhesive can hold to the Core X over time. I tested it and it came unstuck from the little pelican I was testing with, the dual lock stayed on the underside of the desk. Haha

2018 15" MBP, 2.6GHz 32GB 1TB Vega Pro 20, Razer Core X, AMD Radeon VII (Waiting for OS X Drivers), MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Wave

ReplyQuote