2018 MacBook Pro 13" quad-core i7 Touch Bar + Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 + macOS High Sierra & Mojave [ikir]  

RSS

ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
July 24, 2018 8:56 am  

Hi guys, I didn't posted any build since a while (maybe still traumatized from Tech Inferno no-sense ban).

MacBook Pro 13" 2016+ has been my dream machine, I wanted a very little light but powerful machine with great display, touch bar (yeas I love it) and fast Thunderbolt for eGPU docking and series stuff. Now 2018 model just gets perfect finally with quad-core i7!

So I wanted to boost my eGPU as well, I'm a big fan of Venus and in my Italian channel I've covered this jewel with many videos, I really like the single cable dock with power, SSD, mouse, headset, display and GPU. Venus is quite small considered what it has inside, so when I had the insane idea of putting Sapphire last beast, Nitro+ RX Vega 64 inside of it I was already aware I needed some serious modding.

1. The fist thing is to change PSU, I used an awesome Enermax SFX Revolution 650W which can power everything, it is modular, compact and also cool. Here my "how to replace Venus PSU" video
  2. This card is too big to fit inside so I needed to remove left cover cracked, I cut it and with the screw I put it again after inserting the GPU, also I needed to cut the plastic on the right side that keep the cover in place.
  3. Even if the Sapphire card has a very efficient cooler, it is made for desktop machines, Venus can easily turn to a fireball with this inside, so I needed to change the cooling system: the standard fan now take fresh air from outside and a new installed (I needed to precisely cut the aluminum) beQuiet fan takes they hot air away. Also I remove the transparent plastic in the Venus cover because 2 of the 3 big fan of the Sapphire card takes air inside the box and need all the airflow.

You can see the final result in my last video!

I will post some result soon!

Italian complete article:  https://www.egpu.it/mantiz-venus-extreme-mod-con-sapphire-nitro-rx-vega-64/

13” 2017 vs 2018 (and Mojave beta):
Rise of the Tomb Raider jumped from 76 to 92fps in high 1080p
Deus EX Mankind Divided 4K max settings from 35 to 40fps

eGPU.it | LG 34" 4K 34UC88 curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

bluetech, mac_editor, damonhayhow and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
bonsaielectric
(@bonsaielectric)
July 27, 2018 11:08 am  

Amazing build, thanks for sharing!

Have you tried it in bootcamp btw? Would love to know how hard the setup is with an AMD card and the new MBP.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
kstl
 kstl
(@kstl)
July 27, 2018 8:49 pm  

+1 for the bootcamp question. I'm using a 2018 13" and want to, ideally, get an AMD card working in both MacOS and Windows.

2018 13" MBP TouchBar + RX580- [email protected] (AKiTiO Node Pro) + 10.14b & Win10
20" Apple Cinema Display

ReplyQuote
DeNachtwacht
(@denachtwacht)
Eminent Member
July 28, 2018 6:16 pm  
Posted by: kstl

+1 for the bootcamp question. I'm using a 2018 13" and want to, ideally, get an AMD card working in both MacOS and Windows.

I have sucessfully installed an NVIDIA GTX 1080 in both Boot Camp and macOS. It's not perfect yet but we're getting there. I hope they will release some new drivers soon.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
July 28, 2018 6:51 pm  

Thanks to everyone!
i’m sorry but haven’t tried Bootcamp yet! Not really interested but I will try for community purpose!

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
August 4, 2018 10:13 am  

Mojave beta and this new beast are really a dream performance wise! I’ve updated my first post with some gaming tests.

ReplyQuote
schmaexx
(@schmaexx)
August 7, 2018 7:37 pm  

Great to hear. Been hesitant, updating my 2018 Macbook Pro to Mojave. But on my MacBook Air 2012 and MacBook Pro 2012 it's running great, so I might make the jump soon as well.
How is sleep mode, when connected to the eGPU? Any issues there?

ReplyQuote
manzanita
(@manzanita)
August 7, 2018 10:59 pm  
Posted by: ikir
  1. This card is too big to fit inside so I needed to remove left cover cracked, I cut it and with the screw I put it again after inserting the GPU, also I needed to cut the plastic on the right side that keep the cover in place.

Great build!

I have one suggestion though, for other who want to insert this kind of Sapphire cards (Radeon Vega Nitro+ 56 and 64). 

The length of both cards is 31 cm (310 mm). Sappihre Nitro+ Rx Vega 64
The Mantiz specs indicates a maximum card length of 33 cm (330 mm).

The problem is that as @ikir indicates, it is impossible to insert the card because of the plastics that secure the cover. Basically the card can´t pivot in oder to get inside the housing. I found a solution fitting a Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 56 -It has the same length (310 mm)- into a Mantiz Venus without cutting the plastic left side. 

I removed the back plate from the Mantiz and insert the card carefully not to damage the logic board from behind using the free space that was occupied before by the backplate. Prevously I had connected the 2x8 pins of the card and then I fit the card in the slot.
Thus, you don´t have to remove the  left side of the Venus that secures the cover. Finally, after  I have secured the card in the slot, I screwed the backplate  again into place. It was a delicate work (at least for me)

I have to say that when I unboxed the Sapphire Card, I though to myself that it would be impossible to fit that beast inside the Venus. It´s really a big card.

Again, great modding!

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
August 8, 2018 5:21 am  
Posted by: manzanita
  1. This card is too big to fit inside so I needed to remove left cover cracked, I cut it and with the screw I put it again after inserting the GPU, also I needed to cut the plastic on the right side that keep the cover in place.

Great build!

I have one suggestion though, for other who want to insert this kind of Sapphire cards (Radeon Vega Nitro+ 56 and 64). 

The length of both cards is 31 cm (310 mm). Sappihre Nitro+ Rx Vega 64
The Mantiz specs indicates a maximum card length of 33 cm (330 mm).

The problem is that as @ikir indicates, it is impossible to insert the card because of the plastics that secure the cover. Basically the card can´t pivot in oder to get inside the housing. I found a solution fitting a Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 56 -It has the same length (310 mm)- into a Mantiz Venus without cutting the plastic left side. 

I removed the back plate from the Mantiz and insert the card carefully not to damage the logic board from behind using the free space that was occupied before by the backplate. Prevously I had connected the 2x8 pins of the card and then I fit the card in the slot.
Thus, you don´t have to remove the  left side of the Venus that secures the cover. Finally, after  I have secured the card in the slot, I screwed the backplate  again into place. It was a delicate work (at least for me)

I have to say that when I unboxed the Sapphire Card, I though to myself that it would be impossible to fit that beast inside the Venus. It´s really a big card.

Again, great modding!

Thanks mate  🙂 Yes there are alternatives ways fo fit the beast inside, anyway the other issue is the cooling. In my first test without the new fan and different airflow, Venus was becoming very very hot.
PS: can you leave me a like in the youtube video? thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@mostlikelynotarobot)
August 22, 2018 4:06 am  

Hi, @ikir. Just here to echo @schmaexx's question regarding sleep mode. On my own build, which is similar to yours (using an RX 580 instead of the V64), the fans will randomly and very loudly spin up when in sleep mode in macOS. Have you experienced similar issues?

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/fan-runs-full-speed-randomly-while-sleeping/

2018 MacBook Pro 13" | Mantiz Venus | RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
August 22, 2018 6:24 am  
Posted by: mostlikelynotarobot

Hi, @ikir. Just here to echo @schmaexx's question regarding sleep mode. On my own build, which is similar to yours (using an RX 580 instead of the V64), the fans will randomly and very loudly spin up when in sleep mode in macOS. Have you experienced similar issues?

I remember it happened to me too, also I had  the issue of the SSD disk getting ejected. I’ve removed sleep from settings when powered, so I didn’t experience this because the Mac doens’t sleep at all. I’m on Mojave now I can try again!

PS: i noticed that macOS continue to change connection during the sleep, from Venus Ethernet to Wi-Fi even if this time I didn't get the SSD eject.
Surely something wrong is happening during sleep.

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor
August 22, 2018 9:57 am  

I remember it happened to me too, also I had  the issue of the SSD disk getting ejected. I’ve removed sleep from settings when powered, so I didn’t experience this because the Mac doens’t sleep at all. I’m on Mojave now I can try again!

PS: i noticed that macOS continue to change connection during the sleep, from Venus Ethernet to Wi-Fi even if this time I didn't get the SSD eject.

From the logs in MacOS, you can always observe the " Dark wake " , as I stated in another Post, Intel will release a Fixed FW soon. Now it is under the signing process.

Mantiz: ShopFacebookTwitter

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
August 22, 2018 12:51 pm  
Posted by: Mymantiz_John

From the logs in MacOS, you can always observe the " Dark wake " , as I stated in another Post, Intel will release a Fixed FW soon. Now it is under the signing process.

Oh great! I didn't understand what fix is this, connection? SSD?
I activated again sleep in Mojave beta and it seems SSD ejects are gone, also these fans spinning but I need more testing.
Anyway connection seems to drop when in sleep

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
October 2, 2018 11:54 am  

@mymantiz_john
Any update on this?

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor
October 2, 2018 1:47 pm  

More 2~3 weeks. Waiting for Intel released.

Mantiz: ShopFacebookTwitter

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
October 17, 2018 11:20 am  

After some weeks with Mojave and my modded Venus I couldn't be more happy than this. I work with heavy project without issue, I play games with high/max setting with very high resolutions. Just unplug and I go with my MacBook Pro, plug wen I return on my desk for heavy work or gaming.
This is really awesome, I waited years to have this kind of performance and portability. Thanks Apple, Thanks Mantiz,  Thanks Intel.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
naglerrr
(@naglerrr)
November 1, 2018 9:58 am  

More 2~3 weeks. Waiting for Intel released.

Is there any news on this?

ReplyQuote
eddybear
(@eddybear)
November 19, 2018 3:35 pm  

@ikir any benchmark from your setup MBP + EGPU Vega 64?
I have the 2018 13inch MacBook Pro i5 quad core 2.4ghz 8gb ram (If I could turn back time, I would have selected 16gb) 
Anyway, I am deciding between Vega 64, 56, or even the RX590.. I'm just afraid with the MBP that I have, there might be some bottleneck issues if I go with Vega 64.
Just like you.. the idea that you can bring your laptop anywhere.. with the capability of do heavy load while at home is a dream come true 🙂 

by the way since it is Black Friday sale, Overclockers.co.uk  has 20% off on Sapphire Vega 56 pulse and Vega 64 Nitro+ and those 3 new games.. so I'm doing deep research before I pull the trigger.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
November 19, 2018 8:03 pm  
Posted by: eddybear

@ikir any benchmark from your setup MBP + EGPU Vega 64?
I have the 2018 13inch MacBook Pro i5 quad core 2.4ghz 8gb ram (If I could turn back time, I would have selected 16gb) 
Anyway, I am deciding between Vega 64, 56, or even the RX590.. I'm just afraid with the MBP that I have, there might be some bottleneck issues if I go with Vega 64.
Just like you.. the idea that you can bring your laptop anywhere.. with the capability of do heavy load while at home is a dream come true 🙂 

by the way since it is Black Friday sale, Overclockers.co.uk  has 20% off on Sapphire Vega 56 pulse and Vega 64 Nitro+ and those 3 new games.. so I'm doing deep research before I pull the trigger.

Sure I can post some benchmark, do you think about something specific? I can share valley, Geekbench and some metal games.

MacBook Pro 2018 should not have any particular  bottleneck since the CPU is very powerful. Go Radeon RX 590 for a budget solution and maybe an upgrade in mid 2019 when new Vega GPU should come out otherwise both Vega 56 and Vega 64 are very powerful card. Vega 56 doesn't force you to change PSU in many eGPUs and also it needs less ventilation. Vega 64 Nitro+ is very problematic in many cases.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member
November 19, 2018 8:31 pm  

@ikir
I got a new mbp 13 2018 2.7 16gb 1 tb paired with the gaming box rx580 and a Dell 29' 2k and the benchmarks i get are not as i expected and not better than what i got with my 2015 mbp 13 with TB2. With the mbp 23 2018 i get the 41fps (1040) on Heaven ultra setting 1080p  vs 39fps and 67.5 fps on the basic preset. Cinebench is at 62fps vs 61fps. Dirt Rally on macOS at 55 fps. 
I run macOS 10.14.1 (18B75)
Do you think that i need to change any setting?

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member
November 20, 2018 7:55 am  

@mostlikelynotarobot
Hi there, i have a setup similar to yours and i feel that my system is not performing to its best. Do you have any 
benchmarks that you can share. See mine below. Do you think that i need to change any setting? Thanks 

I got a new mbp 13 2018 2.7 16gb 1 tb paired with the gaming box rx580 and a Dell 29' 2k and the benchmarks i get are not as i expected and not better than what i got with my 2015 mbp 13 with TB2. With the mbp 13 2018 i get the 41fps (1040) on Heaven ultra setting 1080p  vs 39fps on the mbp 2015 and 67.5 fps on the basic preset. Cinebench is at 62fps vs 61fps. Dirt Rally on macOS at 55 fps. FCPX looks to perform a bit faster but similar to the mbp2015 but as the projects i quickly looked at were only 3.3 min the difference might not be apparent, i will revert when checking longer projects. 
I run macOS 10.14.1 (18B75)
Do you think that i need to change any setting?

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
(@mostlikelynotarobot)
November 20, 2018 8:16 am  

@tsakal
I don't have access to my eGPU until next week. I'll run the benchmarks then.

2018 MacBook Pro 13" | Mantiz Venus | RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member
November 20, 2018 9:11 am  

Thanks

ReplyQuote