Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.1 + Win10 [waubers]  

RSS

waubers
(@waubers)

System Specs:

• MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2018 "MacBookPro15,1" (A1990)
  • 2.6 GHz six-core Intel Core i7 Coffee Lake (8850H), up to 4.3 GHz
  • 16 GB DDR4
  • AMD Radeon Pro 560X
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
  • 512GB PCIe SSD / 500GB Samsung SSD (External) / 4TB WD SATA (External)
  • Win 10, ver 1903

eGPU hardware:

• Razer Core X
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8G
  • Razer included TB3 cable
  • Samsung 32" U32R59 + Old Dell 24" 1080p display

Installation steps Windows 10 (bootcamp)

1. Fresh install of Windows, patch up to OS Build 18362.295 (KB4512508)
  2. Immediately modified GPO to prevent automatic updates
  3. Create fresh restore point
  4. Install DDU
  5. Reboot into safe mode
  6. Run DDU, purge drivers, prevent auto install of drivers
  7. Reboot into normal windows, install new Radeon drivers from bootcampdrivers.com
  8. Reboot machine with eGPU enclosure attached

Comments:

I've not had any issues in macOS10.5.1 with the eGPU, EXCEPT if the displays go to sleep (note, this even happens when the laptop itself does not go to sleep), where the eGPU seems to go into low-power mode and doesn't come out correctly.  My "work around" is to change the "Energy Saver" setting for "Power Adapter" to be set to never turn off display:

This issue will hopefully be dealt with in a future patch.

As to Windows, everything works great if I boot into Windows with the eGPU attached.  If it's not attached, I get Error 12 when I connect it.  The system works fine if I close the lid on the laptop.  Likewise though, I get issues if the screens go to sleep in Windows, so I've disabled that.

Also note, with the system running macOS with the eGPU, a smattering of apps open, Safari open with 8 tabs (one of which is me writing this post), and a TimeMachine backup running (to a 4TB usb3 SATA drive) I'm consuming ~65w of power according to my UPS that the MacBook Pro, monitors, external drives and eGPU enclosure are all powered through.  I think that's pretty good.  With the screen saver on and no time machine backup that number falls to 52w.

I only mention this as a way to show how little power you're drawing to make me feel better about disabling sleep.

Fo contrast, Civ VI @ 1440p high quality playing against 7 other Civs, that power draw number is ~450w.  The Witcher 3 @ 1440p Ultra quality (highest I could go without falling below 60fps) was about 400w.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jplfaria
(@jplfaria)

@waubers I have basically the same hardware as you do, and I am trying to replicate all your steps. Still I can't seem to get rid of Error 12. A couple of questions if you can help:

1) "Installation steps Windows 10 (bootcamp)"
Are you installing/running Windows via bootcamp on an a partition of your Mac's SDD? Or using an external SSD?
I am running the recommended  Windows, patch up to OS Build 18362.295 with bootcamp installed on a Samsung X5 external SSD (also tried with a T5 external SSD). (have yet to try on partition on my Mac's SSD due to limited drive space with work projects).
Do you think running bootcamp of an external SSD can play a big role here? (As far as the SSD running Windows Bootcamp using too much resources and causing Error 12)

2) "Run  DDU , purge drivers, prevent auto install of drivers"
How are you preventing "auto install of drivers"?

3) "Reboot into normal windows, install new  Radeon drivers  from bootcampdrivers.com"
Can you tell me which exact version of the drivers are working or you? The latest November ones?
I tried multiple versions without sucess.

Thank you in advance for any help,

-

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jplfaria
(@jplfaria)

@waubers I can confirm your instructions worked for me thanks! I followed every single instruction in order.

Since I had doubts on some instructions, let me answer my own questions from my previous post for those having the same doubts:

1)Bootcamp installed on a Partition on my Mac's internal SSD. Using external SSD boot did not work for me (it would be great if someone else figure out how to get this working).
2)I also prevented drivers from automatically.
3)I am using the latest bootcamp November drives.

One thing I must say is that this set up is extremely finicky and unreliable at times. As I am testing and rebooting Windows multiple times I am always afraid it will be the last time it will work. I still get Error 12 at times.

The most consistent way to get it to work for me is by doing the following:
-Make sure nothing is plugged into any of the 4 thunderbolt ports.

-Connect eGPU t your mac when Windows is booting up, I noticed better results when I plug it in exactly before the Windows logo with the spinning dots show up on screen.

-Pray that it will work.

-If it does work, then you good to go and connect all your peripherals.

Now we need to pray some more for Windows and AMD to figure this out, so that we don't have to do so many workaround and use a version of windows locked to August.

This post was modified 6 days ago

ReplyQuote