2018 15" MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 2, 2018 7:53 pm  

Kudos: This build would not have been possible without @itsage.

System Specifications

• MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
  • CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-8850H)
  • GPU(s): Intel UHD 630, Radeon Pro 560X
  • macOS 10.13.6 Windows 10

eGPU Specifications

Installation

The installation process is usually straightforward if you use one of the solutions on this forum.

For macOS

• Run purge-wrangler.sh.
  • Choose option to enable NVIDIA eGPUs.
  • Once the script completes, system should be able to use eGPU.

Booting with the eGPU plugged in may result in both screens glitching out temporarily, but once at the login screen, the system will function normally. Ensure that if you have a monitor plugged in to the eGPU, it is set as the primary display. Hot-plugging the eGPU may result in a black external display, which can be fixed by logging out and in.

Bonus: 4K at 60Hz over HDMI 2.0 works fine on macOS with NVIDIA eGPUs it seems.

Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh for High Sierra (10.13.4+) or use the Prefer External GPU option in Mojave.

For Windows 10

The setup process is simple:

• Disconnect all devices from the system.
  • Hot-plug eGPU at the Windows spinning circles.
  • Let Windows install drivers.
  • Update to the latest drivers as necessary.

Things to note:

• Booting with eGPU plugged in results in a disabled internal display.
    Workaround: Plug the eGPU in at the spinning circles during Windows boot every time.
  • If the eGPU was hot-plugged and any other device was plugged into the remaining Thunderbolt port (or vice versa), system will crash.
    Workaround: Boot with eGPU and device plugged in at the cost of losing internal display.
  • The right side ports worked best for me, as the Aorus firmware can be finicky. For other enclosures, the left side ports may work as well.

Benchmarks

Some interesting benchmarks on macOS (Valley: 1440x900 Ultra):

Valley, Radeon Pro 560X

Valley, GTX 1070

LuxMark, Radeon Pro 560X

LuxMark, GTX 1070

Comments

I only use the eGPU for testing purposes at this time, but my experience and benchmarks make the following clear:

• Compute performance over 560X: ~3.3x.
  • Valley does really well on NVIDIA cards in both operating systems.

Windows benchmarks will be added soon.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ricc and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member
November 3, 2018 1:09 am  

Comparing gpus: Perhaps you are interested in some interesting results I got from of 3dMark resp. Radeon 560X - Radeon 580 - GTX 1080 Ti, the latters one with eGPU. The differences grow by "time and complexity" of the particular tests.

3dMark06:      29405 -  35626 - 36262
3dMarkVantage: 22566 -  36739 - 54186
3dMarkTimeSpy:  1717 -   3712 -  7780

macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-asus-xg-station-pro-evga-gtx-1080-ti
2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-rtx2080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-gtx1080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-rtx2080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-vega5632gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro
macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-razer-core-x-evga-gtx-1080-ti-2
macbook-pro-15inch-2018-aorus-gaming-box-gtx1080

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
Odine
(@odine)
November 7, 2018 6:23 pm  

First of all, amazing job.

So always that you want to turn on your macbook on windows mode have to disconnect and connect thunderbolt 3 on spinning circles? Can't you just have thunderbolt 3 connected without have to be always disconnecting and connecting? 

I have 10.14.1 macOS and im not sure if I can make aorus gaming box 1070 work on macOS. Because of that im wondering in getting aorus box 1070 or aorus box rx580, mi idea it's just have all connected to the box and just turn on macOS o windows without major problems.

I just need signal on external monitor on macOS, don't really need EGPU for macOS, but yes in windows, because I want egpu for windows gaming.

Thanks you in advance.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 7, 2018 6:28 pm  

@odine you can leave the box plugged in while booting if you don’t care about internal display in Windows. macOS Mojave needs web drivers which aren’t available yet. Use High Sierra or wait for updates.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
Odine
(@odine)
November 7, 2018 6:33 pm  
Posted by: mac_editor

@odine you can leave the box plugged in while booting if you don’t care about internal display in Windows. macOS Mojave needs web drivers which aren’t available yet. Use High Sierra or wait for updates.

Thank you for that fast reply.

So for external monitor I can let it always connected right?, And to use macbook monitor I'll have to connect egpu on spinning circles, that's right? (Sorry about my bad English)

Im wondering about buying a hub from amazon with usb and HDMI, so when I need the external monitor for macOS I just connect it, and when I wanted to play on windows just connect the box, I think that could be an option.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 7, 2018 8:42 pm  

@odine That's right. Leaving the eGPU plugged in while booting works fine for me. Other Macs may have other problems (such as Code 12), but for the 2014 and 2018 15", it works fine.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
dingdaoning
(@dingdaoning)
November 12, 2018 11:40 am  

Hey, thanks for the tutorial. Are you running Mojave? When i run purge wrangler i get this:

Latest Available Driver: 17G3025

Your macOS Build: 18A391

Recommendation: Major OS version discrepancy detected.

Patching not recommended.

Did you have this issue? Should I go ahead with the patch?

/Daniel

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member
November 12, 2018 12:34 pm  
Posted by: dingdaoning

Hey, thanks for the tutorial. Are you running Mojave? When i run purge wrangler i get this:

Latest Available Driver: 17G3025

Your macOS Build: 18A391

Recommendation: Major OS version discrepancy detected.

Patching not recommended.

Did you have this issue? Should I go ahead with the patch?

/Daniel

No, I wouldn't do it. nVidia GPUs are not supported in Mojave. Further you can see clearly that @mac_editor is running High Sierra (10.13.6).

macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-asus-xg-station-pro-evga-gtx-1080-ti
2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-rtx2080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-gtx1080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-rtx2080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-vega5632gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro
macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-razer-core-x-evga-gtx-1080-ti-2
macbook-pro-15inch-2018-aorus-gaming-box-gtx1080

ReplyQuote
dingdaoning
(@dingdaoning)
November 12, 2018 5:07 pm  

Well he is also saying:

Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh for High Sierra (10.13.4+) or use the Prefer External GPU option in Mojave.

So it is not entirely clear imho, but yeah I'll have to wait I guess 🙁 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 12, 2018 5:26 pm  

@dingdaoning That is a general statement for setting eGPU preference (what eGPU being used does not matter). Can be confusing I guess :p bad me, but it's clearly mentioned in the script guide as well, that Mojave does not have web drivers.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
wtlucky
(@wtlucky)
November 24, 2018 4:32 am  

I have tried this, maybe it could help you.   After I finished this guide, I have used the  DDU to uninstall the Radeon Pro drivers that came with Apple Boot Camp drivers 6.1 (part of Boot Camp Assistant in macOS). After the macbook restarted, every thing is fine, both the internal display and the external display are work.  But the internal display use the default microsoft graphic card.  In this way you do not need to disconnect and connect thunderbolt 3 on spinning circles.  
I will not do a lot of work on the internal display, usually use it to show some texts. And I play games in the external display. So this is perfect for me. 
At last thanks @mac_editor to write this guide.   It has saved a lot of time for me.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 24, 2018 6:19 am  

@wtlucky I am aware of the internal display working if dGPU is a basic adapter - however eGPU cannot be used on internal display (to accelerate games, etc.) in this config. so I omitted mentioning it. Thank you for bringing it up on this thread.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote