2018 MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14.x & Win10 [mac_editor]
- MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
- CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-8850H)
- GPU(s): Intel UHD 630, Radeon Pro 560X
- macOS 10.14.x & Windows 10
- Sonnet Breakaway eGFX 350W -> 600W Corsair Upgraded
- MSI Armor RX 480 OC 4G
- Apple TB3 Cable
The installation process is usually straightforward if you use one of the solutions on this forum.
Native compatibility: This eGPU setup has official support and does not require any additional software-work to get working. It is also easy to connect multiple such eGPUs.
Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh for High Sierra (10.13.4+) or use the Prefer External GPU option in Mojave.
For Windows 10
Drawback: Unable to use internal display, but performance gains worth it on external monitor(s).
The setup process is simple:
- Download a copy of AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.
- Disconnect all internet connectivity and devices from Windows.
- Use DDU to uninstall Apple-provided drivers. It is recommended to do so in Windows Safe Mode.
- Boot back into Windows and install the downloaded drivers.
- Once the Radeon Pro 560X is up and running, reboot into Windows with eGPU plugged in or hot-plug.
- Ideally, the eGPU should begin functioning. If not, connect to the internet and let Windows set up the device.
- You will lose your internal display, so only plug in an eGPU which has a monitor connected.
Some interesting benchmarks on macOS:
Valley, Radeon Pro 560X
Valley, RX 480
LuxMark, Radeon Pro 560X
LuxMark, RX 480
I only use the eGPU for testing purposes at this time, but my experience and benchmarks make the following clear:
- Compute performance over 560X: ~2.4x.
- Valley really does not do well on AMD cards, and both cards perform better on the bench in Windows.
Windows benchmarks will be added soon.
purge-wrangler.sh ✧ purge-nvda.sh ✧ set-eGPU.sh ✧ automate-eGPU EFI Installer
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070