2018 MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14.x & Win10 [mac_editor]  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 2, 2018 6:48 pm  

System Specifications

• MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
  • CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-8850H)
  • GPU(s): Intel UHD 630, Radeon Pro 560X
  • macOS 10.14.x Windows 10

eGPU Specifications

Installation

The installation process is usually straightforward if you use one of the solutions on this forum.

For macOS

Native compatibility: This eGPU setup has official support and does not require any additional software-work to get working. It is also easy to connect multiple such eGPUs.

Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh for High Sierra (10.13.4+) or use the Prefer External GPU option in Mojave.

For Windows 10

Drawback: Unable to use internal display, but performance gains worth it on external monitor(s).

The setup process is simple:

• Download a copy of AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.
  • Disconnect all internet connectivity and devices from Windows.
  • Use DDU to uninstall Apple-provided drivers. It is recommended to do so in Windows Safe Mode.
  • Boot back into Windows and install the downloaded drivers.
  • Once the Radeon Pro 560X is up and running, reboot into Windows with eGPU plugged in or hot-plug.
  • Ideally, the eGPU should begin functioning. If not, connect to the internet and let Windows set up the device.
  • You will lose your internal display, so only plug in an eGPU which has a monitor connected.

Benchmarks

Some interesting benchmarks on macOS:

Valley, Radeon Pro 560X

Valley, RX 480

LuxMark, Radeon Pro 560X

LuxMark, RX 480

Comments

I only use the eGPU for testing purposes at this time, but my experience and benchmarks make the following clear:

• Compute performance over 560X: ~2.4x.
  • Valley really does not do well on AMD cards, and both cards perform better on the bench in Windows.

Windows benchmarks will be added soon.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote