2018 15" MacBook Pro RP560X + Vega [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14.x & Windows 10 [mac_editor]  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 6, 2018 1:54 am  

System Specifications

• MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
  • CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-8850H)
  • GPU(s): Intel UHD 630, Radeon Pro 560X
  • macOS 10.14.x Windows 10

eGPU Specifications

Installation

The installation process is usually straightforward if you use one of the solutions on this forum.

For macOS

Native compatibility: This eGPU setup has official support and does not require any additional software-work to get working. It is also easy to connect multiple such eGPUs.

Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh for High Sierra (10.13.4+) or use the Prefer External GPU option in Mojave.

For Windows 10

Drawback: Unable to use internal display, but performance gains worth it on external monitor(s).

The setup process is simple:

• Download a copy of AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.
  • Disconnect all internet connectivity and devices from Windows.
  • Use DDU to uninstall Apple-provided drivers. It is recommended to do so in Windows Safe Mode.
  • Boot back into Windows and install the downloaded drivers.
  • Once the Radeon Pro 560X is up and running, reboot into Windows with eGPU plugged in or hot-plug.
  • Ideally, the eGPU should begin functioning. If not, connect to the internet and let Windows set up the device.
  • You will lose your internal display, so only plug in an eGPU which has a monitor connected.

Undervolting Vega

For my reference Sapphire design, I had the following goals:

• Efficiency: I am using a 600W supply, less than the recommended 650W.
  • Consistent Performance: Tying into efficiency, power throttling means inconsistent performance.
  • Overclocking Comes Free: If I can, overclock a little.

The results were positive, as can be seen in the following GPU-Z capture:

My settings:

• Clocks: Core -> Untouched, Mem -> +145 MHz to 1050 MHz, and haven't tried to push even.
  • Voltages: Core -> -150 mV, could go lower too I think, Mem -> -240 mV, excessively lowering voltage may cause hard-lock at 500 MHz.

Benchmarks

Some interesting benchmarks on macOS (Valley: 1440x900 Ultra 8x):

Valley, Radeon Pro 560X

Valley, Vega 64

LuxMark, Radeon Pro 560X

LuxMark, Vega 64

Comments

My experience and benchmarks make the following clear:

• Compute performance over 560X: ~6x.
  • Valley really does not do well on AMD cards, and both cards perform better on the bench in Windows.
  • Vega has tremendous potential when undervolted. On the reference cooler, I was able to manage about 70-75°C at 1600/1040 MHz with 200-220W GPU-only draw. I'm sure I could push clocks higher but not by much as loudness is a factor as well. I have steeply undervolted, at least ~-150mV. I am not a hardcore clocker, so as long as the GPU maintains it's advertised 1600+ frequency I'm ok.
  • I have looked into overclocking/undervolting on macOS and might build a little tool to achieve the same on macOS, but Mojave is generally great at handling the GPU. I am on a 600W supply, which is below the recommendation, but undervolting does make a world of difference.

Windows benchmarks will be added soon.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Trusted Member
November 6, 2018 2:11 am  

very nice! wondering if win10 internal display limitation is for all 2018 15" MBP ?

For Windows 10 Drawback: Unable to use internal display, but performance gains worth it on external monitor(s).

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 6, 2018 2:14 am  

@esatamacmodular Yes, when coupled with an AMD eGPU internal display doesn't function.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 6, 2018 3:36 pm  

Nice build! It's too bad about the internal display. I no longer have the 2018 15" MacBook Pro to test but here's an idea if you'd like to try. In my 2016 15" MacBook Pro + dual RX 580 eGPUs, I disabled the PCIe controller to the TB3 ports that's not in use. The PCIe controller 1901 to dGPU was disabled too. In your build though we need the dGPU to be enabled and working.

My suggestion is to boot into Windows with @goalque's EFI solution and no AMD eGPU connected. Make sure at least one PCIe controller is disabled and Large Memory allocation is present in Device Manager. Hot-plug the RX Vega 64 eGPU and see whether the system would detect and prompt you to reboot.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 7, 2018 3:09 am  

Have added some data on undervolting/GPU performance in Windows after some tuning.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sam.mcbride
(@sam-mcbride)
November 14, 2018 4:12 am  

Great work! Do you think the set-egpu script will work with macOS 10.14 with an Nvidia card? (I have the 1080ti/Mantiz Venus/macbook pro 15 in 2017)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 14, 2018 4:13 am  

@sam-mcbride Mojave has the feature built in and for the time being set-eGPU does not work on Mojave.

Though for NVIDIA you need to wait for web drivers. 

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member
November 22, 2018 10:17 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

Nice build! It's too bad about the internal display. I no longer have the 2018 15" MacBook Pro to test but here's an idea if you'd like to try. In my 2016 15" MacBook Pro + dual RX 580 eGPUs, I disabled the PCIe controller to the TB3 ports that's not in use. The PCIe controller 1901 to dGPU was disabled too. In your build though we need the dGPU to be enabled and working.

My suggestion is to boot into Windows with @goalque's EFI solution and no AMD eGPU connected. Make sure at least one PCIe controller is disabled and Large Memory allocation is present in Device Manager. Hot-plug the RX Vega 64 eGPU and see whether the system would detect and prompt you to reboot.

@itsage: I have this setup, of course, there is no internal display. Im willing to try things. Disabling 1905 unfortunaly didn't help. This Error 12 only comes when I hotplug the Vega eGPU:

macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-asus-xg-station-pro-evga-gtx-1080-ti
2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-rtx2080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-gtx1080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-rtx2080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-vega5632gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro
macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-razer-core-x-evga-gtx-1080-ti-2
macbook-pro-15inch-2018-aorus-gaming-box-gtx1080

ReplyQuote
3mVideo
(@3mvideo)
November 26, 2018 6:33 pm  

Tell please after Upgraded power supply 350W up-dating-> 600W  you received charging for MacBook Pro 15"  in 87Вт?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 26, 2018 6:34 pm  

@3mvideo No, power delivery does not change. That is dependent on the enclosure firmware.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
3mVideo
(@3mvideo)
November 26, 2018 7:54 pm  

thanks! you very much helped me!

ReplyQuote
(@kelvin_tan)
November 30, 2018 5:10 pm  

Curious as to how you managed to undervolt the memory in your Vega.

So far the general consensus is Vega's memory voltage are hard coded in the BIOS. The memory voltage in wattman etc does nothing but states the floor voltage.

Also another question for you - in your opinion would you go for a blower or fan style GPU for tb3 enclosures?

I've been mulling a _sidegrade_ from a blower style Vega 56 to a fan style 1080Ti for an eGPU build (Mantiz Venus), but am a little hesitant about it because generally fan GPUs tend to do worse(in terms of heat, hence performance) in a small enclosures. What are your thoughts?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 30, 2018 5:29 pm  

@kelvin_tan I'm a novice at overclocking/undervolting and my goal was just to reduce power draw. I just looked at this for reference and used Wattman:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6wzd7v/megathread_every_stable_underclockundervolt_of/

If the statement about HBM is true then likely it is only the core clock affecting my temps. then. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think blower-style cards are way too noisy and hotter. Just go for fan cards. They should cool just fine. Enclosures typically have some ventilation for the fans. I don't think one could go wrong either way (I'm satisfied with my blower-style card, but the other fan cards I have are significantly cooler and quieter).

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

Kelvin Tan liked
ReplyQuote
(@kelvin_tan)
November 30, 2018 6:05 pm  

Thanks for the reply. My reference Vega 56 is running wee toasty so yeah might try the blower 1080ti, since it's it's difficult to get ahold of a reference NVIDIA.

Appreciate all the help and work on egpus!

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
donluca
(@donluca)
December 6, 2018 12:04 am  

• I have looked into overclocking/undervolting on macOS and might build a little tool to achieve the same on macOS, but Mojave is generally great at handling the GPU. I am on a 600W supply, which is below the recommendation, but undervolting does make a world of difference.

Any news on this tool for undervolting/overclocking on macOS? 😀

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
December 6, 2018 12:14 am  

@donluca Haven't had time to investigate it, and it seemingly relies on retrieving a soft power play table from the Windows registry first (which I'd want to remove as a dependency). Details:  https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

In the above link, I'm not sure if modifying the controller is needed (could override with codeless kext). Anyway, patience is all I can offer at this time ;p

Meanwhile you can try the method mentioned at that link.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

donluca liked
ReplyQuote
donluca
(@donluca)
December 6, 2018 12:17 am  
Posted by: mac_editor

@donluca Haven't had time to investigate it, and it seemingly relies on retrieving a soft power play table from the Windows registry first (which I'd want to remove as a dependency). Details:  https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

In the above link, I'm not sure if modifying the controller is needed (could override with codeless kext). Anyway, patience is all I can offer at this time ;p

Meanwhile you can try the method mentioned at that link.

Thank you so much  for the reply. I'm close to making the move to a new Mac Mini + eGPU and I'm planning on a Sonnet 350W + Vega 56 and wanted to make sure I get the most out of this combination!  No hurry however, I'm still saving up enough cash 😛

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote