Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" Macbook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaw...

2018 15" Macbook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  2
  RSS

Infer
(@infer)

Hi,

I'm using almost identical setup as @Mac_editor; MBP 2018 15'' with RP560X, Vega64 + Razer Core X Chroma, macOS 10.14.4 + Windows 10. 
I'm repeating the step 5-7 and I still don't get my external monitor to work. After hot plug I get code 12, I uninstall Vega in device manager, reboot system and I get only internal screen with code 43 for Vega in device manager.
I tried all tb3 ports. 

Any ideas how to get this fixed?

MBP 2018 15'' with RP560X, Vega64 + Razer Core X Chroma, macOS 10.14.4 + Windows 10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@infer DDU all GPU drivers and retry. Ensure you are using drivers from bootcampdrivers.com as described in the procedure. Hope that helps.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife

Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

Posted by: mac_editor

@infer DDU all GPU drivers and retry. Ensure you are using drivers from bootcampdrivers.com as described in the procedure. Hope that helps.

Done that, used DDU from safe mode, using bootcampdrivers.com. I even wiped bootcamp installation, installed fresh windows 10 ltsc version to make sure crap updates are not messing with me.
Weird thing is, I got egpu working fine using Asus ROG XG Station2 with the same GPU inside. I switched to brand new Razer cause of failing psu in asus and everything broke.

MBP 2018 15'' with RP560X, Vega64 + Razer Core X Chroma, macOS 10.14.4 + Windows 10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@infer Okay. In my testing, I never encountered Error 43, so I am not sure what the best course of action from there would be. I presume when rebooting, you are rebooting with the eGPU plugged in (not hot-plugging the second time).

Consider trying nvidia-error43-fixer and see what happens. Wow me for suggesting this for an AMD card.

This post was modified 2 months ago

----
Command Line Swiss Knife

Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Error 43 may indicate a GPU hardware defect, but not necessarily. To be sure, it's best to test the GPU in another system and/or another GPU in your system.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb They could probably test the GPU on macOS as well. They also mentioned that the GPU was functional in the XG Station 2. Not entirely certain what could be the cause.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife

Multiple Build Guides
----

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor, it's strange.
I never had a case where an eGPU  behaved in any way different to another eGPU. I could only guess there has been a change meanwhile in hardware or software.
When it's working in MacOS, it's a software problem for sure.

@infer
Can you verify it's working on MacOS?!
What exactly do you mean with "failing psu in asus"?

PS: This is not Cartman in your Avatar?! Hehe. "Respect my authoritah". "How can i reeaaach theeese kids?"

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

In my limited experience error 43 can be power related or driver related. 

You mention a failing enclosure, have you tested the Gpu elsewhere since swapping enclosures? 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

This could be, too. When you get an Error 43 and it doesn't vanish with next boot: Something is wrong and need to be repaired. Either hardware (e.g power) or software (e.g. driver)

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

Posted by: OliverB

@mac_editor, it's strange.
I never had a case where an eGPU  behaved in any way different to another eGPU. I could only guess there has been a change meanwhile in hardware or software.
When it's working in MacOS, it's a software problem for sure.

The only hardware change was changing enclosure from Asus ROG XG Station2 to Razer Core X Chroma.

@infer
Can you verify it's working on MacOS?!
What exactly do you mean with "failing psu in asus"?

Yes, it's fully working in macOS. DeusEx Mankind Divided High/Ultra around 100 fps stable for extended period of time. It was also working perfectly fine in Asus enclosure, however the built-in psu started to fail and I had to hardwire desktop 1000W psu to both 8pin power sockets to keep it from shutting down. Asus customer support is a joke when it comes to egpu enclosures so it was quicker to buy new one at this point...

PS: This is not Cartman in your Avatar?! Hehe. "Respect my authoritah". "How can i reeaaach theeese kids?"

Yeah dat Cartman 🙂 imma police officah an' u gonna respecta ma authoritah! 

This could be, too. When you get an Error 43 and it doesn't vanish with next boot: Something is wrong and need to be repaired. Either hardware (e.g power) or software (e.g. driver)

Well power seems to be completely fine, as putting the GPU in macOS to full load is stable, no hiccups, no fps drops. Also why would idling GPU produce power error.
So I would be rather looking for software issue, however I'm clueless where is the mistake, especially that I run egpu with asus for past 8 months or so. 

There's one more weird thing, when I'm uninstalling Vega from device manager after hot plug and restarting system with eGPU connected keyboard/mouse lights up then when windows starts to load it suddenly goes dark. At this point I have to use MacBooks keyboard and touchpad to log in. Then I get the code 43 for Vega and there's no peripherals in windows I have connected to enclosure.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I don't have enough experience with your set up parts but drivers can become corrupt, so it could be a case of reinstalling a couple of times.

I discovered error 43 was power and driver related when... once my drivers corrupted, and another time I couldn't get my 1070 to work and was getting really stressed for about 30 mins until I realised I hadn't plugged the power cables back in.

You mention peripherals - wild guess - I wonder if they are drawing too much power/causing interference somehow? Have you tried without them connected?

---

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

No luck, 

1. I cleared all drivers with DDU,
2. Removed all peripherals and repeated steps 5-7

Still nothing.

Edit:
even tried shorter tb3 cable. Same thing.

And another weird thing, with all peripherals disconnected, I had weird anomalies under windows. Couldn't use space for example... T2 issues?

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@infer
You could give my bootcamp gude a try. It has been developped with the exact MacBookPro Model as yours. It's very simular to @mac_editor's guide with very small differences. First of all and most important: Start a fresh installation of Windows 10 (Build 1803 or newer).

Note: Your confirmation that it works in MacOSX is a 100% proof that the problem is not hardware or power related. It's software issue, like colliding drivers or corrupt Os.

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

I'll give it a try, will perform another installation of windows today.

Another thought is, I recently updated to 10.14.4, I wonder if that has to do with anything...

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Infer

Another thought is, I recently updated to 10.14.4, I wonder if that has to do with anything...

Error 43 is not MacOSX related. It's alone between your hardware and your Windows software.

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

Posted by: OliverB

Error 43 is not MacOSX related. It's alone between your hardware and your Windows software.

I was rather thinking of changes to boot manager... I noticed a different load times, and whenever rebooting windows, I no longer had to hold option key to select windows partition. It went straight back to windows.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@infer
You are saying the problem happens with the Razer Core Chrome, but didn't occur with the Asus Station. Did you once try the Asus Station after the problem came up? The result would give a definite answer whether the problem is correclated with the eGPU enclosure.

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

I'd rather avoid doing that, as with asus I had to hardwire external desktop psu. But well, I may have to reassemble that solution...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Error 43 is usually linked to insufficient power to the graphics card. However in an eGPU that connects to a host system with same brand dGPU, it's likely due to driver conflict. In your setup, I would say the system chose drivers that work well for the Radeon Pro dGPU. This drivers don't have good compatibility with the RX Vega 64 eGPU and cause error 64.

You mentioned you ran DDU but did you also disable Windows auto-install of device drivers? If not, it's best to do so in order to choose the exact set of drivers that work with both Radeon Pro dGPU and RX Vega 64 eGPU. Currently the modified Adrenalin 19.3.3 from Bootcampdrivers.com is the best for your 2018 15" MacBook Pro.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

Posted by: itsage

Error 43 is usually linked to insufficient power to the graphics card. However in an eGPU that connects to a host system with same brand dGPU, it's likely due to driver conflict. In your setup, I would say the system chose drivers that work well for the Radeon Pro dGPU. This drivers don't have good compatibility with the RX Vega 64 eGPU and cause error 64.

You mentioned you ran DDU but did you also disable Windows auto-install of device drivers? If not, it's best to do so in order to choose the exact set of drivers that work with both Radeon Pro dGPU and RX Vega 64 eGPU. Currently the modified Adrenalin 19.3.3 from Bootcampdrivers.com is the best for your 2018 15" MacBook Pro.

I have disabled windows auto-install in DDU, I'm also using latest adrenaline drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, 19.3.3.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: itsage

I have disabled windows auto-install in DDU, I'm also using latest adrenaline drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, 19.3.3.

@infer
Because you don't have any issues in MacOSX, power problems and hardware defects can be ruled out.

In this case we can safely assume it's a software(driver,OS) problem. Please use a fresh installation of Windows 10 (Build 1803 or newer) and then follow one of the build guides here.

Also, it would be great if you could test another eGPU (your old Asus Station?) with the system. The result could give an answer to the reason for the problems.

EDIT: I just saw that you don't want to do it because it's some work. This is normal, if you are looking for errors and want to analyse them, this is always combined with some work. So, if a fresh installation does not help, you must change hardware components in order to find the one that causes issues.

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

Hi,

Got the windows working. Now, the way it's working, I'm clueless. 
What I did, yesterday I used the most recent 1903 iteration of windows. I was following again the steps  of @OliverB. After clearing AMD drivers from safe mode, i booted to windows, hotplugged eGPU and tadaaa... No Code 12, no code 43. 
But... No image on external monitor as well. I went back to macOS, works like charm. Being desparate i tried HDMI cable instead DisplayPort. WORKS. I checked DP cable with older monitor and my wifes msi laptop, works just perfect.

Hell, i was so desprate i ordered new monitor 34'' 21:9 samsung just to rule out faulty monitor... Why it works over HDMI in windows only is beyond me.

Thank you all for help 🙂

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@infer
Hotplugging the eGPU after Windows is fully loaded is the most reliable way.
If it should happen then, that the screen goes black this may have to do with your monitor configuration. Try to check the Graphic Options, if there is something like "Show only on 2". If yes, just extend it.

ReplyQuote
Infer
(@infer)

@OliverB, the point is, before every single time i was getting code 12/43. Following your instruction or not.
Yesterday, I received new monitor, i connected it using DisplayPort cable. Plug n play in macOS. Wouldn't work in bootcamp though.
So i downloaded brand new 1903 win10 image. Installed it. Went step by step your instruction, and when hotplugged eGPU, it didn't return code 12. No errors at all. But monitor wouldn't work either, not with DisplayPort cable.
I switched to HDMI cable and it started to work.
Why DisplayPort works in macOS, but doesn't work in windows?
Why HDMI works in macOS and in windows?
I'm clueless, but nonetheless happy i got windows working.

Btw i only need external monitor, so instatly set show only on 2 🙂

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

So i downloaded brand new 1903 win10 image. Installed it. Went step by step your instruction, and when hotplugged eGPU, it didn't return code 12. No errors at all.

@infer thank you for your feedback

@itsage, @eightarmedpet, @mac_editor, @kelvin_tan
Please note: This verifies an educated guess by me, that an older Windows system is more prone to Errors, esp. Error 12.

It happened to me, too. I started eGPU with some older installation. Once I reinstalled a new Windows, all problems from before: Gone.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@oliverb that's good to hear! Although I think it may be a combo of Windows version and Macbook year, because funnily (actually not funny at all) my windows instal corrupted again last night and had to do a fresh instal of 1809 and I had error 12 until I installed rEFInd.

Getting a bit sick of all my issues, I really ought to sell my monitor but its just too nice, either that or sort out an enclosure which I can fit my TB3 card into.

---

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@eightarmedpet
A pity for your 5k Monitor. It would almost break my heart...

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@oliverb its broke my heart, but not my spirit (yet...)
I should have bloody bought your Asus, think I'll hunt out a Mantiz Venus now... 

---

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb its borked my heart, but not my spirit (yet...)
I should have bloody bought your Asus, think I'll hunt out a Mantiz Venus now... 

It's sold unfortunately and I won't sell my other Asus before December.
What's the problem with the Mantiz Venus?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

No problem with the Venus at all! I will be able to fit my TB3 card inside it as well as an SSD which I like the idea of - so a full on docking station.

---

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mymantiz_john any chance of buying direct? Amazon.co.uk doesn't list them.

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I hear that Mantiz Venus is not the most silent enclosure. Some people are modding it to be more quiet.

ReplyQuote
 of  2