2018 15" MacBookPro TouchBar RP560X + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming BOX) + Win10  

RSS

decopastorius
(@decopastorius)
October 27, 2018 7:34 pm  

Thank you for the incredible wealth of information on the site - it helped me tremendously in setting up this system with basically no real knowledge. I just finished my setup and it is working flawlessly.

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
2018 MBP / Touch Bar
15"
i9 2.90GHx
MacOS Mojave (updated)
Win 10 on Bootcamp - 1803 (just updated, already installed)
Radeon PRO560X

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)
Aorus GaminBox
NVIDIA GTX 1080

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)
Installation was (almost) a breeze. I took a LONG time to figure out that the very first connection between the eGPU and the computer had to be BEFORE starting Windows OS, while the following re-boots are all as explained in other posts, basically waiting for 2-3 Windows Circles to go by.

Steps (already had Bootcamp and Win 10 installed)
1 - Connect eGPU (turned ON) to Laptop via TB3
2 - Turn laptop in Win 10
3 - Use GEFORCE to install drivers
4 - Re-boot
5 - Disconnect eGPU from laptop (before Win comes in)
6 - Connect eGPU at 2-3 Windows boot-up circles
7 - Working!!!

If it wasn't from the long time it took me to try it on BEFORE turning Win 10 on for the very first install, this whole thing would have literally taken 10 minutes. Very happy

The only downside is that my BT mouse will not work if the eGPU is connected - couldn't find any solution to this or others with the same problem.

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Performance Information
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 2223.37 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 1738.55 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 2664.39 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 2247.84 MiB/s
Device to Device: 105.233 GiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 8640.92 Gflop/s
Double-precision Float: 281.187 Gflop/s
64-bit Integer: 487.098 Giop/s
32-bit Integer: 2711.6 Giop/s
24-bit Integer: 2145.64 Giop/s

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)
This is my wife's computer. She uses Rhino 6 with Vray for rendering and it was taking a LOOOONG time do get anything done. Much, much faster now

Thanks again  for the amazing information shared by this community! I doubt i'd have been able to get this going without you

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote