2018 Mac Mini + RX5...

Share:

2018 Mac Mini + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10 & MacOS 10.14.2 [Gandalf]  

RSS

Gandalf
(@gandalf)
December 13, 2018 12:04 pm  

Sorry for bad language - english is not my nativ language 🙂

System specs

3,2 GHz Intel Core i7
iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
32 GB Ram
Mojave 10.14.2
Win 10 latest update

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X
Radeon RX590 Special Edition (Sapphire RX590 Nitro+)

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Mojave:
eGPU installation on Mojave is plug&play. I'm not sure if i had to reboot the macMini or it worked without reboot. The first reboot with the eGPU and RX590 took some time and it appeared like it had to start a few times over. Now everything works ok. It works ok because the RX590 is not supported from Apple. In the systemprofile the RX590 is called "Radeon Polaris" and nothing more. The eGPU menu identifies this eGPU as "AMD Radeon RX Ellesmere Prototype". More on this topic at benchmarks.

Win 10:
The installation on Win 10 was not that difficult. It's not plug&play but you don't have to change some stuff in the depth of your system. You boot the macMini without the eGPU and after you logged into Win 10 you connect the eGPU. Win 10 identifies the eGPU but don't use the correct driver. After I downloaded Adrenalin from Sapphire (or use the CD that is shipped with the card), i tried to install it. The Adrenalin installer first moves the required files in a folder of your choice. After you did this, you can start the setup in this folder to install Adrenalin and the required driver. The problem: Adrenalin can't find the RX590.

There is a little workaround. You have to use the windows device manager and select the display adapters. There should be listed 2: The UHD Graphics and some other strange name. You right klick on this entry and tell windows you want to install the driver. I don't remember the exact dialogs u have to click, but after a few clicks, you can select a location where the driver is. In this dialog, you can select the Adrenalin folder (or the CD) and select a driver in the folder: 64bit/Packages/Drivers/Display/WT6A_INF 

There are two drivers in this location - i selected a random one and the RX590 appeared in the device manager. Than i started the setup in the adrenalin Folder to install adrenalin. I'm not sure if you need adrenalin but i wanted to be on the safe side. After this installation everything works fine. I normally start Win10 on the macMini with the eGPU connected. There is no picture when you start the macMini until the login screen.

Benchmarks

This is my first post in this forum so i cannot upload pictures. I don't want to make spam posts so i will just write everything down. For Benchmarks i used Heaven Benchmark 4.0 from Unigine:

Mojave:
I connected the external Display directly to the eGPU. When i connected it to the macMini to the external Display and the eGPU with TB3, it appears to me that i Benchmarked the UHD Graphics and got may be 1/3 of the FPS.

Render:
OpenGL
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA windowed
Preset:
Custom
Quality:
Ultra
Tessellation:
Extreme

FPS: 33.8

Score: 852

Min FPS: 10.3

Max FPS: 66.6

This numbers are terrible for the RX590 and, in my opinion, it is a driver problem.

Win 10:

The following Tests are made with the external display connected to the eGPU.

Render:
OpenGL
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset:
Custom
Quality:
Ultra
Tessellation:
Extreme

FPS: 44.6

Score: 1124

Min FPS: 20.6

Max FPS: 100.8

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset:
Custom
Quality:
Ultra
Tessellation:
Extreme

FPS: 53.3

Score: 1342

Min FPS: 8.4

Max FPS: 107.4

Comments

If you think about buying the RX590 you first have to decide what you want to do with it. If you want to have it, to play under Win 10 than I would recommend it. I don't know how it compares to the RX580 under win10 but it is good enough for me. I didn't want to buy a 1,5 year old card when the new one is available.

The downside is, that the Mac Performance is bad. You can use it for some games or other stuff but you would not get the full performance until the driver Problem is fixed. May be there is a work around available? I didn't found one. Well I didn't really searched for one 🙂 The RX590 was released in Nov 18 and I didn't found a Mac driver.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage, california, nando4 and 1 people liked
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
December 13, 2018 3:38 pm  

This is an interesting write up - so you are not actually using any work arounds for Windows and the only issue you faced was getting the drivers installed correctly which I guess has something to do with the newness of the card?

I'd love my Mini to be this simple.

Also, pics please...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 13, 2018 3:53 pm  

The 2018 Mac mini can work fairly simple in Boot Camp as @gandalf described. You installed Windows 10 via Boot Camp Assistant with nothing connected. Once it's done you hot plug the Nvidia/AMD eGPU in Windows Desktop then start driver installation. Restart the Mac mini with the external monitor connected to the eGPU and it would work. The Intel iGPU would be deactivated when there's an eGPU present at boot.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Woodz
(@woodz)
December 15, 2018 11:59 pm  

It's weird that you say performance on Mac OS is bad with RX 590. I'm interested to hear if you've made any further progress or discoveries regarding this.

I'm interested in buying the same card and have a similar setup (MacBook Pro 15 Inch 2017, Razer Core X).

I messaged Sapphires support and they got back to me saying that the RX 590 is supported in Mac OS but would appear under a different name (Ellesmere XT), just like you've described here. The support agent sent me this, which I'm guessing is an extract from an internal testing document they have.   https://imgur.com/a/Wg3sTfF

MacBook Pro 2017
Razer Core X
AMD ????????

ReplyQuote