Setup & Software Discussions
2019 13" Dell XPS 13 9380 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + W...

2019 13" Dell XPS 13 9380 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [packetheavy]  

RSS

packetheavy
(@packetheavy)

System Specs

• Dell XPS 9380
  • 13.3" 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) InfinityEdge Touch Display
  • Intel Core i7-8565U
  • 16GB LPDDR3 @ 2133MHz
  • 512GB NVMe
  • Windows 10 1809

eGPU Hardware

• Razor Core X
  • MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
  • Cable Matters 6.6ft Active Thunderbolt 3 Cable

Installation Steps

Updated OS, BIOS and Thunderbolt drivers to latest, plugged in enclosure and installed the current Nvidia driver, everything worked fairly consistently out of the box.

Benchmarks

Using externally connected displays (3 x 1440p)

CPU-Z
GPU-Z
CUDA-Z

Using externally connected display (1 x 1440p)

Superposition 1080p Medium
Superposition 1080p High
Superposition 1080p Extreme

Using internal display (1 x 2160p)

Superposition 2160p Optimized

Comments

The installation was trouble free, I do experience some startup issues every once in a while where the eGPU isn't correctly detected by the system however either a restart or a manual scan for hardware changes will clear this up. I don't typically plug and unplug my GPU with the system either on or asleep and prefer to just shut down each time.

I came from a TB16 dock where I was having issues with USB device lag (specifically keyboard and mouse), I figured i'd try the USB port on the RTX to run my peripherals however I still see the same issues, devices that do not rely on real-time communication like network and external drives work just fine using that route.

Overall i'm pretty happy with the setup, I get strong desktop performance over my 3 x 1440p displays and a single cable solution for docking and charging.

This topic was modified 6 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

thorne402 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
chrismantle
(@chrismantle)

Which TB3 drivers did you use? I just got the same laptop, and I’m having huge issues with my thunderbolt drivers, code 12 and random BSOD.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mergingcultures
(@mergingcultures)

@packetheavy

This sounds like the exact setup I am looking for.

I travel a lot for work, and I want to get home and be able to do some video editing. So, I think this will work well. Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote