2019 13" Lenovo Yoga 730 [8th,4C,U], 16GB + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Stati...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" Lenovo Yoga 730 [8th,4C,U], 16GB + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [ja nusz]  

RSS

ja nusz
(@ja_nusz)

Hi Guys!

It is not the first time I am doing this eGPU things. First time I did it in 2012 after my dGPU burned in Lenovo y460. I had some quite popular video at the time (over 200k views) running PE4H v2.4, GTX 560Ti, but it was taken down due to copyright claims Grin

So many years later after kids took over my desktop (i5-4670k, 16GB, GTX 970 connected to 4K 65' TV) I decided I need something better than Lenovo E440 that I also tweaked to maximum (i5-4200m -> i7-4810mQ; 8 -> 16 GB RAM;  Screen 1600/900 TN -> to 1920/1080 IPS; etc.) and it finally gave up on me after few years of heavy office use.

This time I was looking for something powerful on the go with option to dock&game, hence Lenovo Yoga 730 13' - best price to performance in this form factor.

I did liquid metal on it - ended up on eBay looking for cooling assembly replacement - it looks like copper, but it's NOT!

So time has come and I went on ebay looking for cheapest option - ended up with Asus XG station Pro for less than half price, and Zotac GTX 1070 mini blower edition - used for mining. that I upgraded with Arctic Accelero Twin turbo 3, due to high temp and noise. Massive back-plate made me mount Asus fans on the outside and run it without side covers - fans are spinning on ATX power with Noctual Ultra low noise adaptor going to max 71' at almost no noise, that is also sharing power with hacked Ikea/Noctua laptop cooling stand. Mr. Green

The loudest thing in this setup are laptop fans, but you cannot have everything. Smile

Few downsides to the build:

1. Asus XG can give only 15W of power - need to run it also on 65W laptop charger

2. Need to reboot every time I want to use it so it will use only GTX without intel GPU.

Setup:

1. Internal display - just plug in TB cable and it runs like a charm, of course with some performance hit.

2. External display - connect TB cable (in task manager iGPU and eGPU will be detected - dedicated display will be lagging even while moving chrome windows on the screen) after reboot - all works as it should - only eGPU as graphics devices is detected and works at full power.

Userbench:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23722113

Passmark: before and after eGPU

This is how it looks - little overclocked core +200, mem +350, power limit 112% - currently running RDR2 at medium settings - it looks awesome! 

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2019 13" Lenovo Yoga 730 [8th,4C,U], 16GB + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

Mini i5 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ja nusz
(@ja_nusz)

I accidentally burned my dedicated fans (connected pins opposite side to power cable) and had to improvise with 1x 120mm corsair connectd to 12V with ultra quiet noctua adapter. 

But finally I got 2x Noctua 80mm. 1st connected permanently, second one connected to XG board instead of one of the exhaust fans, runs only when it gets hot inside.

As a result - temps went down 9 degree. Unfortunately I have no comparison to stock Arctic fans. 

Actually, I made a direct comparison with stock fans and even with 5% over voltage is 6'C and 101MHz better 😀

This post was modified 3 months ago
2019 13" Lenovo Yoga 730 [8th,4C,U], 16GB + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote