2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [cnon297]  

of  2
  RSS

Heidi Anderson
(@heidi_anderson)

@spectr,  do you know how you got your 2070 super to work? I seem to be having the same issues as you with the same macbook version (freezing when connected on most recent windows). If part of it was disabling bluetooth, are you able to re-activate it later? I'd kind of want to use it for controller and headphones.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Spectr
(@spectr)

@heidi_anderson I actually abandoned the project altogether and returned the 2070 super as well as the egpu case. I also testes a normal 2070 and 1080 and all three worked fine. Reason being the bad combination of TB3 efficiency loss and bottleneck caused by the weak CPU (weak for gaming that is, otherwise totally fine) in our version of the MBP. With RTX on I managed to achieve only minor performance gains over my dGPU 1070 Razer Blade 15 from last year, so in the end I decided to stick with it for some time longer, until maybe the new Razer PC (NUC + GPU combo) is released.

Anyways, I'm still happy to help: I resolved the freezing issue by disabling bluetooth and the built-in camera just as OP describes. It is possible to reactivate BT after the eGPU is connected and then use it with e.g. a bluetooth XBOX One controller. Windows version is also quite important. I installed the 1903 iso and blocked all updates from happening.

Sidenote: Since our base-model MBP has only two TB3 connections, that means that you have only one left for any connections (and should install Windows Bootcamp on the internal SSD). When I connected my keyboard & mouse, the MAC always crashed immediately. So I did all my testing either with the controller or external USB-mouse and the internal keyboard (instead of my Razer Black Widow lite).

If you have any more questions, fee free to ask. Cheers!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Heidi Anderson
(@heidi_anderson)

@spectr, Yeah I also kinda gave up on making egpu work with bootcamp, I think I'll just build a pc for windows gaming. I do like using the egpu+amd card in mac os though, super easy to use and my (super limited list) mac compatible steam games work well. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2