2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Duo) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Duo) + Win10 2004 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

Nicolas Specht
(@nicolas_specht)

I plan on doing a setup with the same graphics card and the adt-link r43sg + wavlink adapter. My MacBook Pro is the 2019, 13 inches base model. Hope everything goes smooth. Just waiting for the parts to came com china(AliExpress). Sorry for the english. 

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SG * M.2-TB3) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ssssim
(@ssssim)

@itsage I'm thinking about attempting to adapt the front case/grill and fan of the Node Duo adding a 500-600w PSU (or higher if needed) to work with two 1080ti's (multi-blower type) on a late 2014 27" iMac with TB2. You reckon cards would fit in case width wise? Also would the Node Duo work on this iMac with the fixes provided on this site? Know anyone who uses it on TB 2 iMac?

I've been running a BizonBox3 with one 1080ti and it's been working well with c4d, Octane, Adobe Ae and Pr for a few years. Will be using Redshift soon too.

More power is wanted and was looking at adding another separate eGPU to the set-up but not sure if another TB connection would be recognised or cause issues as this iMac has only one TB 2 Bus. The Node Duo sounded like a it could be a possibility. Thoughts?

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 4 GHz Intel Core i7. Bizon Box3, Gigabyte Nvidia 1080ti

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ssssim, The width of Node Duo has plenty of room and two double-slot GPUs should fit side by side no problem. The length is what needs modifications. You can remove the cooling fan and its bracket completely to accommodate longer cards. I have tried multiple AMD eGPUs (daisy-chained) through my 2013 Mac Pro which is a Thunderbolt 2 host. For compute work, I believe you should be fine. I'm not sure how well multiple Nvidia eGPUs would work through either Purge-Wrangler or automate-eGPU EFI however.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ssssim
(@ssssim)

@itsage, Thanks for the info. So the fan does not need to be reconnected once removed as the box will be open at the front and have enough ventilation. That's what I'm thinking, am I right?

As Otoy is soon to release Octane X which works on macOS, two powerful AMD cards should be an option soon so it's great to know that you've had success with those cards. It's worth a try with the 1080's at least with Purge-Wrangler or automate-eGPU EFI .

Do you think a second separate TB3 eGPU box will work on my iMac with one TB Bus, one that isn't the same as the Bizon Box3? I'm not sure if two won't work period or if because that it will be a different enclosure that is what might cause issues.

Do you think a 500W PSU would be enough or should I go with 600W or higher?

This post was modified 1 month ago

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 4 GHz Intel Core i7. Bizon Box3, Gigabyte Nvidia 1080ti

ReplyQuote
ssssim
(@ssssim)

@itsage, Happy to say Node Duo case worked. Now have two 1080ti's connected to my late 2014 iMac TB2. Using a Corsair 850W PSU. Working well with C4D and Octane with quicker render times. Thanks for the help with this.

This post was modified 1 month ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ssssim, That's excellent! We'd love to see this build when you have time. I'm sure many would like to know the performance of x2 PCIe on the two GTX 1080 Ti going through a single Thunderbolt 2 connection.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@itsage, I missed the add in card update, that's great to see it working! Such a shame they hobbled the Node Duo with the odd power supply choice.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet, It is a limitation to get it certified for Thunderbolt 3 expansion enclosure rather and an eGFX. The included 150W power adapter can probably handle some ITX cards. I'm thinking an RX 5500 XT ITX would fit this power envelope nicely.

AKiTiO had the foresight to make the power plug on the mainboard a standard PCIe power 6-pin. We can any use any power supply to run this enclosure and GPUs. This enclosure really has it all, DisplayPort passthrough, second TB3 port, and 60W upstream Power Delivery.

ReplyQuote
 of  2