2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Windows 10 Spring 2020 Update is right around the corner so I tested my 2019 13-in MacBook Pro with Insider Version 2004 OS Build 19041.1. As per usual Nvidia graphics cards enjoy relative ease when it comes to eGPU setup in Boot Camp. I was able to hot-plug the AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box in Windows Desktop. Due to no support since 10.14 Mojave, we cannot use these Nvidia graphics cards in macOS.

System specs:

Mid 2019 13" MacBook Pro – i7-8569U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

AORUS Gaming Box + RTX 2070 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + TB3 to Dual DP Adapter + HP Z27q Monitor

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

While there's no need for any workarounds in Boot Camp, it's important to make sure Windows fully loads prior to hot-plugging the eGPU. As soon as the RTX 2070 eGPU was connected, Windows would freeze for about two minutes while it detected new components and configured drivers. Audio and Network icons in the Taskbar notification area shown as disabled during this process. Trackpad and keyboard were non-functional also. Once the Thunderbolt 3 connection was established, everything resumed as normal. There was no existing drivers so RTX 2070 showed up as "Microsoft Basic Display adapter" in Device Manager. I proceeded to download and install the latest DCH drivers from Nvidia website.

Once completed, the installer would prompt to restart the system. Don't click "Restart Now" button because with the eGPU connected, restarting the system into Windows would render the Intel iGPU disabled which causes a stuck Windows logo on the internal display. Close the Nvidia Installer and shut the Mac down manually then disconnect the eGPU. Boot into Windows without the eGPU connected to make sure iGPU and internal display are working first. If you want the eGPU connected prior to boot, you may use the modified apple_set_os.efi loader to keep the iGPU activated.

Benchmarks:

In order to test loopback mode, I used a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter to power the HP Z27q 5K monitor. It was connected through the opposing TB3 controller to the eGPU TB3 connection. This same monitor was then used in external mode through two DisplayPort connections off the RTX2070. Here are the synthetic numbers in Luxmark, Unigine, and 3DMark.

Loopback Mode External Monitor

Comments:

The RTX 2070 is one of the highest performing ITX cards currently available. It makes the AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box the most powerful portable eGPU. Internal display / loopback mode performance posted reasonable loss compared to external monitor mode. This is better than Navi eGPU performance in loopback mode.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I'm thinking my next set up I'm going to go back to Nvidia for ease of set up and loopback performance, I dont really need a GPU in macOS (although it is nice playing tomb raider games).

This post was modified 4 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 560 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet I agree. I was able to make the RX Vega 56 Nano work with this 2019 13-in MacBook Pro. If the Windows 10 version is not 1903 .30 to .295, there are a lot of work. I replaced the pci.sys with the one from Win10 1903 V1 ISO to restore hot-plug and AMD eGPU support.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote