2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT ITX @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eG...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT ITX @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

Jong Eugene
(@jong_eugene)

Posted by: @itsage

@jong_eugene, I'm using the original power adapter (240W) that came with this VisionTek mini eGFX. I have been using this eGPU enclosure with an ITX RX 580 for a year and an ITX RX 5600 XT for 5 months without power issues. Power Delivery (45W) is less than ideal for my 2019 13-in MacBook Pro. The PCIe power connector is 6+2-pin so it will work with either 6-pin or 8-pin cards.

@itsage, so it is safe to buy a ITX RX 580 or else 5600XT without worry about the default power adapter next? Could ignore what have been recommended on VisionTek's website Laugh  

I'm on budget low side, do you have any idea what type of ITX RX 580 card I should get? Also does modified BIOS would worked on MAC environment/Win Bootcamp?

thanks for the speedy replies, appreciate it very much Inlove  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jong_eugene, There's no retail ITX RX 580 in US from what I recall. Your best option is to go with a VisionTek ITX RX 5500 XT. The 4GB version should be under $200 new.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jong Eugene
(@jong_eugene)

@itsage, yah most RX 580 are on mining side. thank you very much i will try hunt a RX 5500 XT ITX next Smile

sorry for pinging you too much today, would this worked with VisionTek?or is have to be a specified brand i.e PowerColor etc

RX 5500 itx

This post was modified 10 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jong_eugene, If it's more than $200, I'd say look for the PowerColor ITX 5600 XT at $300 new. As long as the card is ITX and has a TDP of 150W or less, the enclosure will be able to handle it.

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jong Eugene
(@jong_eugene)

Posted by: @itsage

@jong_eugene, If it's more than $200, I'd say look for the PowerColor ITX 5600 XT at $300 new. As long as the card is ITX and has a TDP of 150W or less, the enclosure will be able to handle it.

thank you very much @itsage 

You are great, nice hearing from you recommendation!

ReplyQuote
Jong Eugene
(@jong_eugene)

I saw youtube link as per below it seem to be PowerColor egpu casing are very identical with VisionTek as well.

But his gpu is really a monster, RX 5700, I thought RX 5600 should be the max it should go with. Oops puzzled...

This post was modified 9 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jong_eugene, I believe there's a very short run of that unit and it was only available in the South Pacific. The RX 5600 XT is not that far off in terms of performance. I've been using one 8 hours a day at my work office. It's reliable and quiet. The only issue is macOS (crashes in sleep mode). 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I have been running this eGPU setup with Windows 11 for the past month through several previews updates and all remains stable. Ethernet, mouse and keyboard connection through the secondary Thunderbolt 3 controller [JHL6240] are actually working more consistently compared to Windows 10. In Win10, the input devices have a slight delay while the Thunderbolt connection gets initiated.

ReplyQuote
 of  2