2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 // external SSD
- 2019 13" MacBook Pro (Intel Iris Plus) + 16 GB of RAM
- macOS 10.15.7 Catalina
- Win 10 (Version 20H2, build 19042.572, External SSD - Samsung T5)
- random external display
- Seamless plug and play.
- Routine to install and run Windows from external SSD (plenty of tutorials online, manageable). Installed Windows I found from the official MS website (did not care to try older versions), installed appropriate Bootcamp drivers.
- Plugged eGPU after restart, Windows did not seem to register it (or did not show that).
- Restarted and waited for windows to load drivers. First time it either froze or I forgot to switch source on the monitor Probably forgot. Second restart: Mac display stuck on Windows logo, external Monitor works through direct HDMI connection from eGPU though.
- Installed latest AMD Adrenalin drivers from the bootcampdrivers.com
- Restarted and everything looks fine. To prevent flickering windows logo to show on the MacBook screen, I restart it into windows in a closed state, and hold Option key on external keyboard. Internal display did not light at all.
No error 12, all TB ports work, no issues so far. Will test on games and will report later, if any will appear.
Love it <3
Running Windows from external SSD is a risky thing. I do not recommend keeping your work or any important files on it.
@mindaugas_kucinas I am glad you got it to work on Windows! Certainly gives me some hope! I might just return my Nvidia GPU and go AMD! So from what I can see you are running the latest build of windows, plugged in the egpu and had some errors...all you had to do was restart to let those drivers get updated and then got additional drivers from bootcampdrivers?
Hey @roy_plaz, this is what I did, in the right order:
- installed latest windows
- installed bootcamp drivers
- did Windows update, to have everything to date
- restarted with eGpu plugged in (with hdmi from monitor directly to egpu)
- installed AMD Adrenalin drivers
Thinking back, I had no real errors, except my human stupidity. I have 2 hdmi connections to the same monitor. One goes from the laptop through adapter. Second one goes from the egpu. After first restart monitor remained black and I assumed that my system froze, but I just had to switch the source through menu on the monitor.
is it working as well with internal monitor?
I tried to install latest windows 10 (20H2) with all the updates, and latest bootcamp drivers ( Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Oct2020-BootCamp-Red-Edition.zip ) but still have Error 12 when I plug in eGPU