2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 // external SSD
- 2019 13" MacBook Pro (Intel Iris Plus) + 16 GB of RAM
- macOS 10.15.7 Catalina
- Win 10 (Version 20H2, build 19042.572, External SSD - Samsung T5)
- random external display
- Seamless plug and play.
- Routine to install and run Windows from external SSD (plenty of tutorials online, manageable). Installed Windows I found from the official MS website (did not care to try older versions), installed appropriate Bootcamp drivers.
- Plugged eGPU after restart, Windows did not seem to register it (or did not show that).
- Restarted and waited for windows to load drivers. First time it either froze or I forgot to switch source on the monitor Probably forgot. Second restart: Mac display stuck on Windows logo, external Monitor works through direct HDMI connection from eGPU though.
- Installed latest AMD Adrenalin drivers from the bootcampdrivers.com
- Restarted and everything looks fine. To prevent flickering windows logo to show on the MacBook screen, I restart it into windows in a closed state, and hold Option key on external keyboard. Internal display did not light at all.
No error 12, all TB ports work, no issues so far. Will test on games and will report later, if any will appear.
Love it <3
Running Windows from external SSD is a risky thing. I do not recommend keeping your work or any important files on it.
@mindaugas_kucinas I am glad you got it to work on Windows! Certainly gives me some hope! I might just return my Nvidia GPU and go AMD! So from what I can see you are running the latest build of windows, plugged in the egpu and had some errors...all you had to do was restart to let those drivers get updated and then got additional drivers from bootcampdrivers?
Hey @roy_plaz, this is what I did, in the right order:
- installed latest windows
- installed bootcamp drivers
- did Windows update, to have everything to date
- restarted with eGpu plugged in (with hdmi from monitor directly to egpu)
- installed AMD Adrenalin drivers
Thinking back, I had no real errors, except my human stupidity. I have 2 hdmi connections to the same monitor. One goes from the laptop through adapter. Second one goes from the egpu. After first restart monitor remained black and I assumed that my system froze, but I just had to switch the source through menu on the monitor.
is it working as well with internal monitor?
I tried to install latest windows 10 (20H2) with all the updates, and latest bootcamp drivers ( Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Oct2020-BootCamp-Red-Edition.zip ) but still have Error 12 when I plug in eGPU
I have nearly the same setup. Main differences are that I run windows from the internal SSD and I have the 2018 MBP 13 inch with Touch-bar and 4 TB ports.
It was nice to see that a similar setup like yours would work nicely in advance. Now I can confirm it also worked easily for me setup. I actually did not install the bootcampdrivers.com drivers but the default ones Windows Update suggested to me and performance in games seems similar when I was comparing both drivers, the AMD drivers modified and signed by Microsoft and the BCD.com drivers.
I was wondering what you mean by starting with a closed lid. The only thing that works is opening the lid of my MBP and then starting, pressing alt when I see the apple logo, then choose my windows partition and after hitting enter immediately closing my laptop lid. Can you wake up your shut down system when the lid is closed as well?
Hot-plugging does not work for me either.
A really strange issue I have though. All games work, but those using Battleye Anti-Cheat (for example DayZ or PUBG). This is nearly a dealbreaker for me since I wanted to use the eGPU to speed up DayZ. It works fine without the eGPU attached to it. BCD did not help me either. By not working I mean BSOD, so complete System failure. I have contacted Battleye already, but with little hope. Could you maybe test a game that uses Battleye and give some feedback if it works? I am really wondering if it just dislikes some driver I have installed. Had to redo my complete BootCamp Installation..
Thanks and kind regards
Felix alias JokerOnMBP