2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 6600 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + m...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 6600 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + macOS 12.1 & Win11 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

My work-issued laptop is a 2019 13-in MacBook Pro. I've been using it in the office with a VisionTek mini eGFX + ITX RX 5600 eGPU [build link] in the past two years. Through different versions of macOS and Windows, it remains working very well for a dual-boot eGPU setup. The laptop has been at home more due to remote work and it needs an eGPU boost once in a while. 

This past week I was able to order an RX 6600 at decent price. The RX 6600 recently gained macOS support with the release of 12.1. The model I bought is XFX Swift 210 RX 6600. It was plug and play with my 2019 13-in MacBook Pro running 12.2 Beta. The more challenging connection is in Boot Camp with Windows 11. It required DDU and re-installation of latest Radeon drivers.

System specs:

Mid 2019 13" MacBook Pro – i7-8569U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

MasterCase EG200 + RX 6600 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

During the winter time, it gets cold in Minnesota so I tend to spend my work day in the Kotatsu. With an electric heater mounted under the table, it's very nice and cozy. As seen here, my dogs immediately entered sleep mode while I'm setting up the area for photographing. You could say thermal management at this eGPU setup is not optimal for performance.

Installation steps:

All components in this build have native eGPU support in macOS 12.1 Monterey so it was straight forward. The RX 6600 has 4 monitor outputs (3x DP and 1x HDMI). I only connected the HDMI cable briefly to test external eGPU performance vs loopback eGPU performance.

I'm running Windows 11. This particular version [OS Build 20170.1000] plays well with Radeon eGPU. In order to keep the iGPU and internal display working, I use the modified apple_set_os v0.5. This EFI boot loader works best for Macs with Apple T2 Chip. Older Macs work better with automate-eGPU EFI boot loader. Due to switching both eGPU enclosure and graphics card, I used DDU first to remove all Radeon drivers and PCIe port associations. Once that was done, I downloaded and installed the latest Radeon drivers. I did not encounter error 12.

Benchmarks:

MasterCase EG200 is the only eGPU enclosure so far with the higher throughput Thunderbolt 3 controller, JHL7440 [discussion link]. I was able to confirm in CL!ng the higher Device to Host speed.

Here are some numbers in Unigine and 3DMark through loopback and external monitor (Samsung 4K FrameTV).

Loopback Mode External Monitor

Comments:

The XFX RX 6600 with two large fans is very quiet during use. Performance in Windows so far seems identical to the reference RX 5700 eGPU I tested with this same 2019 13-in MacBook Pro a couple years ago. Radeon drivers have gotten better to improve loopback eGPU mode.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

cnon297, ARN, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Such a cool set up! Nice to see loopback performance has improved, I'd love to be able to buy a new GPU someday... 

This post was modified 7 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eightarmedpet, I hear you. Demand for Radeon cards aren't as high compared to Nvidia, but pricing is still way out of line.

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mattmatt
(@mattmatt)

@itsage, do you have an issue where your GPU fans will go to max speed when the computer is disconnected or off?

Having this issue currently.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mattmatt, I don't have that GPU fan racing issue in suspend mode you described. I have used it with multiple graphics cards (both AMD & Nvidia) as well as different host computers. Can you share the firmware version of the MasterCase EG200? Mine is showing 59.1 in the screencap (System Information > Thunderbolt).

ReplyQuote
mattmatt
(@mattmatt)

@itsage, do you know how to find the firmware version on Windows? Went through Device Manager and AIDA64. Can't seem to find it

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mattmatt, Do you have Intel Thunderbolt Control Center? The About tab should give some clue on the firmware version.

ReplyQuote
mattmatt
(@mattmatt)

@itsage, unfortunately, Thunderbolt Control Center just has the following

• Name
  • Vendor
  • Model
  • Power mode
  • Connection status

Will try to figure out another option

ReplyQuote
mattmatt
(@mattmatt)

@itsage, just got a hold of a Mac. Seem to have the same firmware

image (1)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mattmatt, Did the RTX 2070 fans went full speed when you disconnect from the MacBook Air? I know there are no drivers in macOS for it, but that could indicate if the racing fan issue maybe a firmware compatibility on the host computers. It's not a fun process to trace down the culprit, especially when there's little to no official resources and support from Intel and Thunderbolt vendors.

ReplyQuote
 of  3