2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 6600 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + m...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 6600 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + macOS 12.1 & Win11 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

mattmatt
(@mattmatt)

@itsage, yes the fans did go to full speed when I disconnected from the MacBook Air.

The GPU fan issue presents itself when:

1. the eGPU is plugged in to a powered down host computer
  2. the eGPU is fully disconnected from any computer

The GPU fans behave normally when plugged into an active Thunderbolt host.

It's strange that my unit (and @himefei 's) both experience this issue but not yours. Any thoughts on how to further troubleshoot?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Diego1
(@diego1)

I saw this post and was excited to try to get my eGPU to work on Windows for the umpteenth time. Installed Windows 11 fresh through Bootcamp, only to find out that I get error Code 12 when I connect the eGPU, same as before with Windows 10. I used DDU as described, and downloaded the latest Radeon driver but it won't install while error Code 12 is present.

2019 MBP16, Sonnet Breakaway Box 650, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

eGPU works fine in macOS.

I don't use any bootloader other than the original one from Apple. But I understand that the modified bootloader is not a requirement from the way you described it.

Most likely the reason why it works for you is because your machine is an MBP13 which only has an iGPU, and no dGPU to conflict with the eGPU. I'm pretty sure I could get my eGPU to work easily if I had a Mac mini or an MBP13. (The mini also has only iGPU and no dGPU.)

This post was modified 7 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@diego1, The Mac model is the determining factor in whether Boot Camp eGPU would be straight forward. I recall AMD eGPU on the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro was not a go with Windows 11. It worked for me in Windows 10 1903 V1.

@mattmatt, I don't really know if there's another troubleshooting step I can recommend. I tried several Nvidia and AMD cards on my EG200 without GPU fan racing issue. My guess is there's a slight difference in firmware between early production and more recent production units. Have you heard back from Cooler Master Support?

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lpr010429
(@lpr010429)

Hi @itsage, thank you for posting this build! I ordered a RX 6600 and while waiting for it to arrive, I am wondering whether you need to do the port switch every time to boot windows using loopback? Thanks!

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@lpr010429, Which Mac do you have? It depends on the specific Mac computer. On my 2019 13-in MacBook Pro which only has iGPU, I don't need to do the port dance/swap. The 2019 16-in MacBook Pro is the one I'm aware many people need to do the port dance.

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bbyBuho
(@bbybuho)

Posted by: @itsage

I'm running Windows 11. This particular version [OS Build 20170.1000] plays well with Radeon eGPU. In order to keep the iGPU and internal display working, I use the modified apple_set_os v0.5. This EFI boot loader works best for Macs with Apple T2 Chip. Older Macs work better with automate-eGPU EFI boot loader. Due to switching both eGPU enclosure and graphics card, I used DDU first to remove all Radeon drivers and PCIe port associations. Once that was done, I downloaded and installed the latest Radeon drivers . I did not encounter error 12.

Dear @itsage

I hope this message finds you well, excellent work and lovely Fotos. 

Would you be able to explain how to retrieve the 20170.1000 build of Windows 11 at your earliest convenience?

I have a June/summer 2020 13" MBP and a Sapphire RX 6600 that works very well in Windows 10, I tried Windows 11 with the latest version and continually received Error 12. 

Additionally, is the modified apple_set_os v0.5 going to be required for my device?

This comment is also curious - I used DDU first to remove all Radeon drivers and PCIe port associations. - is there a setting in DDU to disassociate PCIe ports?

I look forward to your response, thank you in advance.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bbybuho, It was a developer preview IIRC. Your 2020 13-in MacBook Pro is a different host machine than the 2019 13-in MacBook Pro in this build. I actually have the same laptop as you now, and the only Windows version that works for this 2020 13-in MacBook Pro with eGPU in Boot Camp is Win10 1903 V1. Anything newer and it would encounter error 12. You can see my build guide here.

ReplyQuote
bbyBuho
(@bbybuho)

Posted by: @itsage

@bbybuho, It was a developer preview IIRC. Your 2020 13-in MacBook Pro is a different host machine than the 2019 13-in MacBook Pro in this build. I actually have the same laptop as you now, and the only Windows version that works for this 2020 13-in MacBook Pro with eGPU in Boot Camp is Win10 1903 V1. Anything newer and it would encounter error 12. You can see my build guide here.

@itsage, thank you for the rapid response, I genuinely appreciate it. 

Two follow-up questions for you and the egpu forum group:

- Is DSDT patching an option for Windows 11 and has it been attempted by anyone, would you recommend I head down this avenue?

- Is there any reason to believe this mid-2020 MBP 13" will see Win 11 support in the near future?

This is a great machine and I certainly see it having a long future as a mobile gaming system, I hope we will be seeing support on Win 11, the MBP can certainly handle Elden Ring @ 1440p on Win 10.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bbybuho, DSDT override is only for machine without "Large Memory" allocation in Windows. The 2020 13-in MacBook Pro already has this Large Memory allocation through the Apple firmware so you don't need it. In other words, patching the DSDT on this machine through Boot Camp yields no benefits. I don't think Apple has any plans on improving the Boot Camp experience for Intel Mac users. They never officially support eGPU in Boot Camp mode so it's very unlikely they'll make things easier. If there's improvements, it will come from Microsoft through newer Windows versions.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

If RX 6600 works, why does Apple's website only list the RX 6600 XT? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  3