2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box...

Notifications

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 2004 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

AMD Radeon eGPUs don’t always play well in Windows Boot Camp, especially in the latest versions. Currently Windows 10 18362.295 and older are the safest for Radeon users. My 2019 13-in MacBook Pro is running Insider Version 2004 OS Build 19041.1. Error 12 is a pertinent issue unless I either downgrade to the safe version or perform a PCI.sys system file replacement (thanks to @bas_timer).

System specs:

Mid 2019 13″ MacBook Pro – i7-8569U/Iris Plus Graphics 655 iGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Gigabute Gaming Box + RX Vega 56 Nano + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + TB3 to Dual DP Adapter + HP Z27q Monitor

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

All components in this build have native eGPU support in macOS so it was straight forward. The RX Vega 56 Nano Gaming Box can power the HP Z27q 5K monitor with ease through the dual DisplayPort cable connection. I also tested loopback eGPU acceleration by powering the 5K monitor through a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DP adapter. This arrangement worked in both macOS and Windows but best performance is through the eGPU directly.

Running Windows 10 2004 is a real challenge to get this Radeon eGPU to work. I had to replace the PCI.sys system file with the one from Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO (OS Build version 18362.30). Once that was done, my 2019 13-in MacBook Pro can handle both Radeon and Nvidia eGPU through hot-plug. In order to do cold-plug, I rely on EFI boot loaders. Through many different builds, I’ve found @goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI works great on non-Apple T2 Macs while @aa15032261‘s modified apple_set_os.efi loader works well on Macs with Apple T2 chip.

The process of replacing a single file seems simple but it’s not so with system files. I had to first take full permissions of the original pci.sys then renamed it. Next was to extract then copy the “good” pci.sys from the ISO over. Read this discussion for more detailed instructions and a readily available pci.sys file.

Benchmarks:

For loopback mode testing, I used a Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter to power the HP Z27q 5K monitor. It was connected through the opposing TB3 controller to the eGPU TB3 connection. This same monitor was then used in external mode through two DisplayPort connections off the RX Vega 56 Nano eGPU. Here are the synthetic numbers in Luxmark, Unigine, and 3DMark.

Loopback Mode External Monitor

Comments:

RX 5700/XT are more power efficient and perform better in external monitor mode. They don’t work very well in internal display/loopback mode however. There are also many hardware failure reports than typical. Given how good Vega drivers are in both macOS and Windows, I would highly recommend them over Navi options.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@itsage

great work thank you 

I was hoping to do the same with my gaming box but could not find a reasonable priced Vega 56 nano. So I decided to go for 5700xt. 
It needs some patience till drivers mature a bit.

However in my opinion the 5700xt performance is not bad. 

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-13-macbook-pro-8th4cu-rx-5700-xt32gbps-tb3-netstor-hl23t-plus-win10-1903-itsage/#post-72943

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-13-macbook-pro-8th4cu-rx-5700-xt32gbps-tb3-netstor-hl23t-plus-win10-1903-itsage/#post-72247

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

B. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

C. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tsakal Were those results through an external monitor or internal display/loopback mode?

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@itsage

My 4K LG ext monitor  and and the 2018 mbp 13.

for the cost of the 5700xt and more importantly the 0 noise it hardly gets above 37 dB at about 1 m away, is more than ok.

what do you think?

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

B. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

C. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
jazzdogg
(@jazzdogg)

Hey @itsage, I'm running a 2019 13" (same specs as yours except its an i5) and I'm trying to install the 5700XT in Windows. It's working great in Mac OS however running into the Error 12, even after fresh installing W10 1903 V1, DDUing, and installing the AMD drivers. I did try your "modified apple_set_os.efi loader" link, but I couldn't even get it to appear on boot after following instructions. Currently running in loopback until I find a monitor to connect it to (just moved countries, so starting fresh!). Any ideas specifically to the 13" 2019? I went through the Error 12 thread, however it was hard to find any tips relevant to this specific MBP. I'd tremendously appreciate any thoughts 🙂

2019 13” MacBook Pro (8th,4C,U) + Radeon RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jazzdogg If you are running Windows 10 1903 18362.30 to .295, the setup procedure is as followed:

1. Boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP through Terminal. Open Startup Security Utility to set Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media [in Option Boot]
  2. Download and install Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO (version 18362.30) through Bootcamp Assistant [in macOS]
  3. Run DDU with Admin privileges to disable Windows auto-installation of drivers [in Windows]
  4. Download apple_set_os.efi v0.5 then mount and copy to EFI partition per install instructions [in macOS]
  5. Connect eGPU to one of the right-sided Thunderbolt 3 ports then power on [System OFF]
  6. Boot into Windows via apple_set_os.efi loader v0.5 / no user interaction required [boot screen]
  7. Confirm a new Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager then install Radeon drivers [in Windows]

This would allow both cold-plug and hot-plug of the Radeon eGPU in my experience. The iGPU remains working through the use of apple_set_os.efi so that internal monitor mode with eGPU acceleration is possible. If the modified apple_set_os.efi doesn’t work, you can try a different boot loader solution by @goalque, automate-eGPU EFI. Simply replace step 4 and 6 accordingly to @goalque‘s installation and boot up procedure.

ReplyQuote
jazzdogg
(@jazzdogg)

Ah, thank you @itsage. That's greatly appreciated, and that almost worked flawlessly. I've now run into a Code 43 "Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems.". I read on other threads you've come across this one before. I tried installing older drivers than the most recent (the latest drivers were yesterday, funny enough) but oddly the one before that said it couldn't detect any hardware, and the even older drives before them with the older GUI and installer worked however same error code 43.

How have you been dealing with error code 43?

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom. It's truly appreciated. 🙂

Edit: Here’s the troubleshooting steps so far... uninstalled versions of the firmware using DDU in Safe Mode, tried different ports on the machine (using the right back port primarily with the eGPU), uninstalling / reinstalling device in device manager, hot plugging - although this just went back to error 12 all over again. 

Oddly, sometimes the card was not detected at all after uninstalling the driver with DDU. Full power cycling didn’t help, although going back to a manual restore point seemed to bring it back to the generic video card in the device manager. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

2019 13” MacBook Pro (8th,4C,U) + Radeon RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jazzdogg I have encountered error 43 on Radeon cards before. It’s a fairly random occurrence. Sometime the best thing to do is to wait for Windows to sort itself out. The RX 5700/XT cards are more concerning because the drivers for them are not good. Worst case scenario it may be hardware issue.

Another option is to boot up through modified apple_set_os.efi without the eGPU connected. You can then hot-plug the RX 5700 XT eGPU once Windows fully loads. My 2019 13-in MacBook Pro running 18362.295 can handle hot-plug very well with both Nvidia and AMD cards.

ReplyQuote
Vladas Gineitis
(@vladas)

Hi, I need yours advice 🙂

I have 2012 Mid MBP Retina 15 + AORUS Gaming Box GTX1070. And as you know there isn't possibility to use Nvidia EGPU with Movaje or Catalina, so I'm wondering is there is some GPU in the market that I can swap with my GTX1070 (plug-n-play)?

PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB HBM2-NANO Edition - I cant find it...

What do you think about - Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Pulse ITX - 4GB GDDR5 RAM ? Do you think it will fit in to AORUS Gaming Box?

Thanks and sorry for my English 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote