2019 13" Razer Blade Stealth [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gamin...

Notifications

2019 13" Razer Blade Stealth [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

To fully test the RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box, I needed a capable 4K G-Sync monitor. While my FreeSync 2 monitors are considered G-Sync compatible, I wanted to see if there’s a difference in smoothness during gameplay. The Acer Predator XB3 (XB273K Pbmiphzx) 4K 144Hz G-Sync monitor is an excellent candidate and was on sale for $850 at the local Micro Center. It’s a bulky monitor due to a cooling fan and blinders. Last component of this setup is the late 2019 Razer Blade Stealth. The best configuration for eGPU users is iGPU-only with the i7-1065G7 CPU set to 25W from the factory [$999 deal link].

System specs:

Late 2019 Razer Blade Stealth – i7-1065G7/Iris Plus Graphics iGPU/16GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

AORUS Gaming Box + RTX 2080 Ti + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable + Acer Predator XB3

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

There’s not much in terms of installation process. Other than removing the monitor stand to access the VESA mount, everything else was plug-and-play. The late 2019 Razer Blade Stealth is an excellent ultrabook. Razer has made some refinements to to make external graphics experience more seamless. The first change is Thunderbolt Security set to no approval, Thunderbolt devices will be automatically connected similar to Mac systems. There’s also Large Memory allocation in the Device Manager. This laptop also has NVM firmware version 72.0, the newest one I’ve seen.

I manually installed the latest Nvidia drivers. I also installed AORUS Engine and RGB Fusion to control the RTX 2080 Ti eGPU and lighting mode. It’s possible to use this eGPU with the Razer Blade Stealth in internal display mode but that would limit the RTX 2080 Ti capabilities.

AIDA64 confirmed the performance advantages Ice Lake provides for eGPU applications. Prior to this CPU, Nvidia eGPU through Thunderbolt 3 connection cannot reach higher than 2,2XX MB/s for H2D. There are two “Integrated Thunderbolt PCI Express” roots. Each can host two Thunderbolt 3 ports. Razer only made use of one in this Blade Stealth for a single TB3 port on the right side.

Benchmarks:

Razer marketed the 2019 Blade Stealth as a gaming ultrabook*. The asterisk denotes it needs an eGPU to do so. 😀 

Internal Display Mode FHD External Monitor QHD External Monitor UHD External Monitor

Comments:

I will be installing a larger NVMe drive on this Razer Blade Stealth to download games then run more benchmarks. First impression from these results is that we can expect gameplay at 144Hz FHD, 120Hz QHD, and 60Hz UHD.  

This topic was modified 4 days ago

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage

I believe Acer displays have a "show framerate" option to prove that gsync is working? In macOS the framerate is constant. Does it fluctuate in Windows during game play? Is it constant when not playing games?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joevt Yes, you are right. You may be able to see the yellow number in the top right corner of the screen in one of my hardware pictures. This number stays constant in Desktop and fluctuates during gameplay.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@itsage

I see it now, looks like it says "122" which is in the range of your benchmarks. That's very good for Thunderbolt eGPU.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote