2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [integrii]  

of  3
  RSS

integrii
(@integrii)

@ttamnogard - I am using the reference RX 5700 XT and I manually turn the fan up to hovercraft mode for optimal thermals.  Thanks!

@Eightarmedpet - I wish that the EFI boot stuff worked for me.  I installed the boot partition, then booted into it.  When I select to boot into MacOS, it just hangs forever at the screen below.  I do have the T2 chip disabled.

If I try just booting into Windows, I get an Error 12 on the RX 5700 XT even though both cards show up.

It probably isn't helping that my eGPU is a Razer Core X and only powers on when it finds a connection.  EFI boot can't see my card:

I believe all the other issues are connected to the chipset of the laptop because it appears to be directly correlated to bandwidth of some kind.  The eGPU takes up a ton of PCI lane bandwidth and causes the ports next to it to slow down.  So does the SSD I have.  If I put them on the same side, either the disk stops working entirely or the eGPU goes black.  I have to keep them on different sides and carefully connect other devices to the side which I think will have the most bandwidth left depending on the game's performance profile (heavy disk vs heavy gpu).  If the game uses both heavily (like star citizen), I have fallen back to installing it on the internal drive in the laptop - that makes a big difference and gives me much more PCI bandwidth to play with when connecting peripherals (a whole side).

If you have any suggestions on how to make my dual monitors work, I would love to hear it.  I hate windows and staring at the windows logo all day is lame!  Thanks!

This post was modified 10 months ago
2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@integrii My eGPU isn’t detected by the bootloader but that didn’t stop it working... you may need to disable sip and secure boot, oh and turn off FileVault (I think).

im using rEFInd which gets forgotten a bit but works perfect for me  🤷‍♂️

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
integrii
(@integrii)

@Eightarmedpet Thanks for the suggestion, but SIP is off for me already and from what I can tell, rEFInd is only a boot loader that makes it easier to find and use EFI files.  Do you still end up at a screen like the one in my screenshots?

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
integrii
(@integrii)

Update for today!  macOS Catalina Beta 10.15.1 works just fine when hot plugging the eGPU now!

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

This is awesome to see!

reg rEFInd - I designed a custom boot selector (just UI) so when I boot I select my OS and then it boots normally... and I need to use it to get round error 12.

Reading your set up it looks like you are not using any work arounds for either macOS or Windows? Or am I missing something?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
integrii
(@integrii)

I didn't do anything super special besides booting into MacOS before restarting into bootcamp.  I had to hot plug the eGPU in Windows the first time to get drivers to install too, I think.

I also still can't get the internal display to work in Bootcamp. When using rEFInd i can see the internal adapter AND the eGPU, but the external adapter is always stuck on error 12.  I just dont use rEFIind and let the internal display show a windows icon all day.

Maybe i am still missing something here.

I also always boot into MacOS and set the fan speed to Max before rebooting into windows to play games. 

ReplyQuote
St1000
(@st1000)

@integrii I think if you install graphics card drivers from bootcampdrivers.com your internal display will also work. It does for me.

MBP 2018 i9 32GB, 560X Razer Core X Chroma, AMDD 5700 XT. Win 10 (.295) Mac OS 10.15.1

ReplyQuote
Gunny
(@gunny)

I have the same setup as this and I more or less got it to work, in the sense that the card operates and I can use it, although not withoout significant issues that would probably make PC gamers like myself throw the setup away if not for the performance. One of the main issues I have is the native sound card/bus on the RX5700xt. Do any of you guys know how to get it to work, because the modified drivers used by @itsage for a similar build (the build I used to model my setup) give error 39 (invalid drivers) with the sound card if you use the Windows driver installer utility, which is the only way I got the card to work, because of AMD error 173.

Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2018. Intel i9 2.9 GHz and UHD 630, RX560X, 32 gigs
Razer Core X, XFX AMD RX5700XT (THICC II),

ReplyQuote
St1000
(@st1000)

I have same setup as you. If you use bootcampdrivers.com and follow instructions incl using enclosed utility to remove old drivers first, it should work. I got errors using amd installers but it installed fine with the modified bootcampdrivers.com drivers.  Sound works fine for me except in vr headset where it is distorted. But for all other uses it’s fine so I have an issue between steam VR and my headset headphone drivers (sound is fine in headphones outside of VR).

MBP 2018 i9 32GB, 560X Razer Core X Chroma, AMDD 5700 XT. Win 10 (.295) Mac OS 10.15.1

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jendrik Reiß
(@jendrik_reis)

i have the exact same setup, but I cant get it working.. can you play help me

Macbook Pro 2019 13Inch 2,4GHZ / WIN 10 1809 / MacOS 10.15.1
Razer Core X Chroma
Asus ROG Strix Rx 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
 of  3