Setup & Software Discussions
2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AOR...

2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [xinux]  

RSS

xinux
(@xinux)

System specs

• 2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon G7 (MTM: 20QDCTO1WW)
  • 16GB RAM
  • Low Power FHD Screen
  • 256GB SSD (temporary)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019
  • Vertical stand made in meccano
  • Lenovo Thinkpad Dock Gen 2

eGPU hardware

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box

Hardware pictures

Work in progress

Installation steps (+ performance tweaking)

It worked out of the box. Been having some problems with connectivity, but firmware updates might have helped (TBD). 

Benchmarks 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38208483

Comments 
The purpose of this build is to try to move to a one-computer setup without compromises that I can use for both work and fun. 
The CPU performance of the X1 Carbon, when properly cooled, matches that of my previous desktop (4770k). 
While thunderbolt limits the GPU performance, it is still a big step up from my desktop Titan X
I've had a lot of (thunderbolt related) problems so far but haven't given up yet. 

Current problems

• Gaming Box fan stops spinning, requires 10 second power disconnect (firmware update might have helped)
  • Gaming Box fan sometimes seems stuck at 100% (firmware update might have helped)
  • Gaming Box randomly disconnects from laptop, requires restart (firmware update might have helped)
  • Gaming Box LEDs mostly don't work (thank god)
  • Gaming Box has coil whine when idle (can't be helped)
  • USB Devices connected to the thinkpad dock intermittently lose power (only when egpu is also connected)
  • Horrifying noise artifacts using my Dragonfly DAC connected to the thinkpad dock
This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@valentin_yeo)

I have a very similar setup. I've switched to the DCH drivers which seem to have eliminated a problem where the laptop would randomly freeze. Fingers crossed. 
Did you use the notebook version of the driver? 

How is your setup now 2 months later after this post? Running smooth? 

I am also currently testing using the Gaming Box as a docking station. I've plugged all my peripherals directly into the Gaming Box and removed the Lenovo Charger so that there is only one cable going into the X1C. 

Recent 3D Mark https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/40109916

Could you also elaborate on your power plan on windows? Are you using the Lenovo Intelligent Power one?

This post was modified 1 week ago

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7 Gen. | i5-82650U | 16 GB | 1 TB SSD | FHD | Win 10 Home | Intel UHD 620 | TB3 | NVM 43
Aorus Gaming Box 2070 RTX | F1.3 | H2D Update |

ReplyQuote
xinux
(@xinux)

Posted by: @valentin_yeo

I have a very similar setup. I've switched to the DCH drivers which seem to have eliminated a problem where the laptop would randomly freeze. Fingers crossed. 
Did you use the notebook version of the driver? 

How is your setup now 2 months later after this post? Running smooth? 

I am also currently testing using the Gaming Box as a docking station. I've plugged all my peripherals directly into the Gaming Box and removed the Lenovo Charger so that there is only one cable going into the X1C. 

Recent 3D Mark https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/40109916

Could you also elaborate on your power plan on windows? Are you using the Lenovo Intelligent Power one?

Nice to see someone else running this setup! 

I'm pretty sure I'm using the desktop drivers. 

Overall the setup is running smooth enough to keep it, but it's not without problems.
Most days I keep it docked, and it can run fine for days without hiccups. Then I slightly move something on my desk and the egpu disconnects. This wouldn't be such a pain in the ass if it weren't for the need to unplug the egpu power for 5 minutes every time this happens. 
The USB connectivity problems are now very rare, and it seems strange, but I think it got better after updating my nvidia drivers

It's been a while since i tried, but I've had no luck using the USB ports on the gaming box (they always fail under heavy load). In any case it doesn't have enough ports for me. But good luck and I would be very interested to hear if it works out for you. 

I have no Lenovo software installed, and I'm mostly using the "Best performance" setting on the power slider. 
One thing I have changed is that I have applied a 25w power limit on the cpu; with no power limit it often reached 100c. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@valentin_yeo)

I have abandoned the idea of using the USB ports on the gaming box. Crashed the first time i opened a game. 

I am also now running the notebook drivers DCH. No crash so far today. Not sure if there's a difference. Just testing. Desktop seemed stable too.

I use the lenovo intelligent power plan as it seems to be quite a good all around plan that works for battery optimization when off the plug and everyday work stuff on the plug as well as gaming on the plug. When the laptop is plugged in it's also got a 'best performance' option which when selected boosts fps in games by 10-20% or so. However the laptop does get very hot and you can hear the fans working. That's why for the most part i leave it on an option called 'better performance' which gives me decent FPS in most games but the laptop stays around 75 C. Also the fans are not audible in this setting. You only hear the gaming box then. Which is so much quieter after the firmware update.

I had throttle stop at -100 but have turned that off nor now when on the plug just to eliminate one more variable while i am trying to get this system stable. I have also turned off most hardware acceleration on most of my programs. I had a lot of crashes with brave browser when playing videos hardware accelerated but that was before DCH. Kind of ridiculous the length you have to go to but i like the setup a lot otherwise haha. So yeah sticking with it.  

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7 Gen. | i5-82650U | 16 GB | 1 TB SSD | FHD | Win 10 Home | Intel UHD 620 | TB3 | NVM 43
Aorus Gaming Box 2070 RTX | F1.3 | H2D Update |

ReplyQuote