2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon G7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [xinux]
- 2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon G7 (MTM: 20QDCTO1WW)
- 16GB RAM
- Low Power FHD Screen
- 256GB SSD (temporary)
- Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019
- Vertical stand made in meccano
- Lenovo Thinkpad Dock Gen 2
Installation steps (+ performance tweaking)
It worked out of the box. Been having some problems with connectivity, but firmware updates might have helped (TBD).
- downvolted cpu by -90mV and disabled power throttling using ThrottleStop
- installed latest nvidia DCH drivers (currently v431.60)
- installed gaming box F1.3 firmware
- installed gaming box H2D firmware
when attempting to install the H2D firmware, i got an SDK_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND error.
this was solved by temporarily installing a legacy thunderbolt driver, found here:
(thanks to William Lam for this solution: https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2019/04/new-thunderbolt-3-to-10gbe-options-for-esxi.html)
- repasted cpu with liquid metal
tutorial videos for the previous gen by der8auer:
- removed extra filter from bottom intake
The purpose of this build is to try to move to a one-computer setup without compromises that I can use for both work and fun.
The CPU performance of the X1 Carbon, when properly cooled, matches that of my previous desktop (4770k).
While thunderbolt limits the GPU performance, it is still a big step up from my desktop Titan X.
I've had a lot of (thunderbolt related) problems so far but haven't given up yet.
- Gaming Box fan stops spinning, requires 10 second power disconnect (firmware update might have helped)
- Gaming Box fan sometimes seems stuck at 100% (firmware update might have helped)
- Gaming Box randomly disconnects from laptop, requires restart (firmware update might have helped)
- Gaming Box LEDs mostly don't work (thank god)
- Gaming Box has coil whine when idle (can't be helped)
- USB Devices connected to the thinkpad dock intermittently lose power (only when egpu is also connected)
- Horrifying noise artifacts using my Dragonfly DAC connected to the thinkpad dock
Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts