Setup & Software Discussions
2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon G7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS ...

2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon G7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [xinux]  

RSS

xinux
(@xinux)

System specs

• 2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon G7 (MTM: 20QDCTO1WW)
  • 16GB RAM
  • Low Power FHD Screen
  • 256GB SSD (temporary)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019
  • Vertical stand made in meccano
  • Lenovo Thinkpad Dock Gen 2

eGPU hardware

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box

Hardware pictures

Work in progress

Installation steps (+ performance tweaking)

It worked out of the box. Been having some problems with connectivity, but firmware updates might have helped (TBD). 

Benchmarks 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38208483

Comments 
The purpose of this build is to try to move to a one-computer setup without compromises that I can use for both work and fun. 
The CPU performance of the X1 Carbon, when properly cooled, matches that of my previous desktop (4770k). 
While thunderbolt limits the GPU performance, it is still a big step up from my desktop Titan X
I've had a lot of (thunderbolt related) problems so far but haven't given up yet. 

Current problems

• Gaming Box fan stops spinning, requires 10 second power disconnect (firmware update might have helped)
  • Gaming Box fan sometimes seems stuck at 100% (firmware update might have helped)
  • Gaming Box randomly disconnects from laptop, requires restart (firmware update might have helped)
  • Gaming Box LEDs mostly don't work (thank god)
  • Gaming Box has coil whine when idle (can't be helped)
  • USB Devices connected to the thinkpad dock intermittently lose power (only when egpu is also connected)
  • Horrifying noise artifacts using my Dragonfly DAC connected to the thinkpad dock
This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote