2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AOR...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [xinux]  

of  2
  RSS

xinux
(@xinux)

@valentin_yeo

Well, that's enough information for me to reinstall. As I'm on LTSC I can't update to 1903, sadly. 
I connected the gpu to check the driver version. Needed a reboot, and after that it froze after 2 minutes... 

I'm on the same nvidia driver version as you, though I haven't tried any newer version. 

2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Valentin Yeo
(@valentin_yeo)

@xinux

crazy! i feel like i should never update anything just to keep this gaming box running now. im sorry it doesn't work for you but can't think of anything else it could be. shame. 

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7 Gen. | i5-82650U | 16 GB | 1 TB SSD | FHD | Win 10 Home | Intel UHD 620 | TB3 | NVM 43
Aorus Gaming Box 2070 RTX | F1.3 | H2D Update |

ReplyQuote
Valentin Yeo
(@valentin_yeo)

This configuration now has started to become unstable for some reason. Getting crashes now all the time. Very annoying. 

Lenovo X1 Carbon 7 Gen. | i5-82650U | 16 GB | 1 TB SSD | FHD | Win 10 Home | Intel UHD 620 | TB3 | NVM 43
Aorus Gaming Box 2070 RTX | F1.3 | H2D Update |

ReplyQuote
kound
(@kound)

Hey everybody,

just wanted to ask if you managed to get this configuration working now?

I just got an Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 but I am a bit unhappy as there a number of issues with it (Flickering Screen, FAN seems broken, Firmware issues).

So currently I am thinking of replacing it with the X1 Carbon for mobility and Linux compatibility. But as I also want to enjoy newer Games Arous Gaming Box seems to a good Price-Value fit. The resulting system would have a lower CPU speed but more mobility and probably even better gaming capabilites.

But I want to gain a stable system, so were there any software/firmware updates that made the setup more stable or is still as unstable as described?

Would you recommend a buy now? (Your last post to answer a similar question sounded much more like no)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
xinux
(@xinux)

Posted by: @kound

Hey everybody,

just wanted to ask if you managed to get this configuration working now?

I just got an Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 but I am a bit unhappy as there a number of issues with it (Flickering Screen, FAN seems broken, Firmware issues).

So currently I am thinking of replacing it with the X1 Carbon for mobility and Linux compatibility. But as I also want to enjoy newer Games Arous Gaming Box seems to a good Price-Value fit. The resulting system would have a lower CPU speed but more mobility and probably even better gaming capabilites.

But I want to gain a stable system, so were there any software/firmware updates that made the setup more stable or is still as unstable as described?

Would you recommend a buy now? (Your last post to answer a similar question sounded much more like no)

I'm using and loving the X1 Carbon, also dual-booting windows and linux. Loving it for my programming work. 

I still have the egpu, but with all the weird problems, I can't possibly use it as a main (and only) machine for games. 
In the end I am now using my old desktop gaming pc at home for that. 

The gaming box works great most of the time, but that is not enough. 
Right now it's at a friends house, and I use it sometimes for coding shaders. I really should get rid of it. 

The "one machine" dream, for me, does not seem attainable yet. Maybe it will be with future updates to egpus & the usb standard. 

2019 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Andy Chu
(@andy_chu)

I just bought Lenovo Carbon Gen 8 and gigabyte gaming box 2080 ti.

i faced same problem that the screen freezed, keyboard and mouse not moving, had to hard reset the laptop.

i was using drivers downloaded from gigabyte web site, however, i didnt remember updated it and auto update was off, it is latest driver for nvidia now.  Maybe it was done by windows update.

after i remove my thumb print logon and use pin to logon, the problem seems to solve, it didnt freeze for two days which it used to freeze all the time.  Maybe it is luck, I will update again after more days of using it.

all bios and drivers are up to date, nothing else was done, it is working normal, at least for the two days 

I turned off the hardware acceleration in chrome. 

This post was modified 1 month ago
2020 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Andy Chu
(@andy_chu)

I turned on my X1 gen 8 with thunderbolt plugged in this morning.

The system is not so stable, the screen went off after entered windows for half an hour.

It is much more stable to connect thunderbolt to the laptop after windows is fully loaded.

Another issue I found was that if I press disconnect GPU and reconnected back, the graphic card driver in the device setting was disable, got to manually enable it to use it again. this maybe explained why someone's laptop don't recognize the gaming box after reconnect it.

This post was modified 1 month ago
2020 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2