2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [OmegaMalkior]  

RSS

OmegaMalkior
(@omegamalkior)

System specs

• Lenovo Yoga C940 14" (UHD 4K Display)
  • Intel Ice Lake i7-1065G7 / 15w TDP (boost up to 25w)
  • Integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics 
  • 16GB RAM (LPDDR4X-3733MHz)
  • 512GB SSD (32GB Optane)

eGPU hardware

Hardware pics

Installation steps 

• Your basic eGPU + laptop installation as the Core X is plug and play with it's included TB3 cable (troubleshooting comments at the end)

Benchmarks (All ran on external monitor)

• CUDA-Z:
  • GPU-Z:
  • 3D Mark Time Spy score:
  • Overclock used to reach said score without crashing:

Comments

This GPU was gifted by a friend in this GPU crisis for which I'm greatly appreciative. The performance expected on a 1440p 144Hz monitor I knew it wasn't going to blow me away, but matter of the fact is for games like Halo MCC/Doom 2016/Crysis 3 it did perform quite well for expectations and trouble-savings sake. Troubleshooting tho was a bit of a pain on my C940 14 with the Core X. First, GPU wasn't detected by the C940 no matter how many times I unplugged/restarted/reinstalled TB3 drivers. Turns out if was just that the Core X needed it's motherboard connector unplugged and re-plugged for a while (not the external PSU connecter btw). After that it finally got detected in Device Manager. However, performance was ok in some games, but in games like Doom Eternal it was pretty horrendous at first. That's when I decided to go to GPU-Z and noticed that it was only running in 1x lane:

instead of the 4x lanes eGPUs normally run at. Just needed to re-seat the GPU a couple of times inside the Core X making sure it was properly seated and finally got it to work at 4x. Now, onto my real nightmare, which was this. Had I seen this video the day I had gotten my entire setup together I would have saved countless hours trying to look for what was causing both my internal and external keyboards to lag so hard. After all of that troubleshooting (which took hours of Googling since I knew little about GPUs overall), now I could finally enjoy my setup. Everything in the Core X runs quiet while the C940 14 is a jet engine in max performance mode CPU wise as always. The only caveet being that for some reason Vulkan games actually performed relatively poorly for expected performance (Doom 2016 OpenGL = 130 FPS, Doom 2016 Vulkan = 80 FPS), whereas on my past laptop (which was an HP Spectre x360 15 with a 10750H w/ GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q) I got actual performance increases significantly there. Doom Eternal in some parts gives good FPS at some areas getting (72 FPS 1440P) while others not even at 1080p with res scaled did it stay stable at 60 FPS. Overall in all other games I tried tho, performance was honestly pretty solid apart from Vulkan. Apart from the troubleshooting issues at the beginning, the experience truly is plug in play, as no crashes are seen during games, no need to disable the iGPU on my part as well, and can even hot plug and un-plug if needed to without issues as well (tho sometimes a sign out to sign in is necessary to have all apps running on the eGPU, but that's only a minor setback). In conclusion, after having sold my Spectre 15 2020 (returned to HP due to some QC issues) and had almost lost all potential to game (Iris Plus is meh for gaming) until this week, feels good to come back after a 6 month heavy gaming hiatus. 

Note: And yes, I do use my internal keyboard with no external one since I don't like any external one's currently in the market (chiclet > mechanical) and I'm an avid user of the C940's touchpad as well together with my Viper Ultimate Smile

2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mangowuzhere
(@mangowuzhere)

Never thought I'd see someone's setup making mine look cleaner. 

2020 14" HP Spectre X360 14 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 // quick and dirty test [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OmegaMalkior
(@omegamalkior)

Posted by: @mangowuzhere

Never thought I'd see someone's setup making mine look cleaner. 

Buy me a longer TB3 cable to push the eGPU back + a dock and we'll talk by then XP

2019 14" Lenovo Yoga C940 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote