2019 15" MSI Prestige 15 (GTX1650) [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Ra...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] 2019 15" MSI Prestige 15 (GTX1650) [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10  

RSS

(@thomas_nichols)

MSI Prestige 15 + Razer Core x Chroma + 2070 Super

{Prestige 15 A10SC (GTX 1650 Max-Q)} [i7-10710, 6C, U] + {RTX 2070 Super}  {32Gbps-TB3} ({Razer Core X Chroma} + {Windows 10 &} // {comments}

* OS - only for which the eGPU is being used. eg: Nvidia RTX is Windows only as they never had macOS support.

System specs (Prestige 15 15.6", i7-10710u, Intel UHD, GTX 1650 Max-Q, Windows 10)

eGPU hardware (Razer Core X Chroma, RTX 2070 Super MSI Ventus OC, Razer Core X Chroma  TB3 cable )

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. Or can link from say  http://imgur.com   BUT post the .jpg/.png image file rather than a link to it)

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

• Executive summary:  This was not a plug and play experience for me.  Setup (mostly failures, below) finally worked after updating my BIOS to E16S3IMS.108.  This BIOS was specific to my model (A10SC, 16S3;  MSI has drivers on their website).  Can't remember my original BIOS but it ended in 106.
  • I consider myself an amateur when it comes to computer stuff like this and this process was a challenge for me.  Not much info online regarding the Prestige 15. 
    • At first my laptop would not recognize the Razer Core X Chroma via thunderbolt 3 (TB3) connection.  Peripherals on the Chroma weren't working.  Everything was plugged in correctly.  My laptop would receive power, the eGPU would spool up, the enclosure would get colorful.  
    • Started by trying to update my drivers as everyone suggested.  This did not work for the most part.  
    • The rig was also giving me issues when plugged in.  It slowed down my system.  I couldn't update drivers without huge lag and loops that mostly resulted in me performing hard shutdowns.  GeForce Experience would freeze on me as well.
    • The order in which I plugged everything and powered them on didn't seem to make a difference.
    • After a couple hours of fiddling (uninstalling drivers, different orders of operation) I finally got the Prestige 15 to recognize the enclosure and eGPU.  Unfortunately it caused other things to stop working.  My 15's 2nd TB3 stopped recognizing peripherals.  My laptop's keyboard functionality got all wonky.
    • Got late - went to bed.
    • Next morning I tried all sorts of the same nonsense to recreate the TB3 recognition.  Didn't work.
    • Finally got the guts to update my BIOS.  Did it via a flash drive.  Updated to BIOS E16S3IMS.108 which I found on MSI's website.
    • Razer Core X Chroma was recognized almost immediately.  This thing works without issues.  Some lag in the beginning (maybe my laptop getting used to the eGPU?).  Not sure but it works great now!

Benchmarks 

• Don't know much about benchmarks or how to perform them.  Sorry :(.  Learning it will be my next project.
  • All I know is that the 2070 Super fans don't crank up much.  I'm probably not pushing it to its limits
  • UPDATE: Downloaded Time Spy demo. 7993 in Time Spy demo

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

• Battlefield 1 can be played on my laptops native 4K screen, Ultra settings, 50-60 fps.  I can play BF1 on my external 60Hz 1080p monitor (HDMI) on Ultra settings, 60fps easy, with Resolution set to 200%.  It's beautiful.  Beats the hell out of my Xbox One!
  • I first chatted with MSI who said the Prestige 15 was not compatible with eGPUs.  This is not true as there are other Prestige 15 setups on this site.
This topic was modified 4 weeks ago
2019 15" MSI Prestige 15 (GTX1650) [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4, itsage, mr.ribeiro and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote