2019 15" Dell XPS 7590 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Cor...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" Dell XPS 7590 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004  

RSS

jimmielin
(@jimmielin)

System specs 

Dell XPS 7590 (15", 1080p, i7-9750H, GTX 1650)

eGPU hardware 

Razer Core X, stock cable

AmazonBasics DP to DP cable for external display (Dell U2718Q 4K)

Hardware pictures 

N/A

Installation steps 

I did not use the OEM Windows 10 install, instead I prefer to do my own.

1) Windows 10 (Version 2004) vanilla install from the Windows 10 Download Tool.

2) All drivers stock (retrieved from Windows Update out-of-the-box), NVIDIA 3/12/2020 26.21.14.4270

3) Install latest AMD Drivers (5/15/2020 26.20.15029.27017) from website

4) Plug in eGPU, plug DP to GPU, reboot, good to go.

All three GPUs (Intel UHD, GTX 1650, 5700 XT) can be detected and usable (5700XT is the default).

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

External LCD.

AIDA64 GPGPU test reports 2594 MB/s bandwidth.

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

Can use internal GTX 1650 to run CUDA workloads with no issue and RX 5700 XT for gaming. Very happy, took much shorter time to set up than expected, although I have a clean Windows 10 install.

Thanks for all the datapoints here which led me to go ahead and try it out. I was a little adventurous as I bought an AMD card for an NVIDIA system. The RTX 3xxx series were out but I wanted this rig today so I bought AMD instead. Now I can have both CUDA and good performance from AMD.

2019 15" Dell XPS 7590 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bmd0
 bmd0
(@bmd0)

@jimmielin, I am trying to setup the exact same setup but the eGPU constantly disconnects. 

Did you to anything else to get yours setup? Also do you know what BIOS setting you have for TB3? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
jimmielin
(@jimmielin)

@bmd0, do you have an external monitor plugged into the eGPU? I haven't tested with only the internal display. When setting it up, I found that using the internal display + hot-plugging definitely did not work, so I just went for the external display and cold booted successfully.

I checked my TB settings in the BIOS. I ticked Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt Boot Support in the BIOS and chose User Authentication. For the Auto Switch I chose Auto Switch. I just permanently authorized the Razer Core at my first hot-plugging attempt - at that time the GPU didn't show up at all so I installed the driver (still nothing), then rebooted and it did.

2019 15" Dell XPS 7590 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bmd0
 bmd0
(@bmd0)

@jimmielin I am through an external monitor. I am fairly sure it is a hardware problem now, I have Dell coming to replace the mainboard hopefully in the next day or so which I think will resolve the problem. If not then I am out of ideas.

I ordered a XPS 13 9300 to test out, a) because I saw it in a shop and the form factor interested me and b) curiosity of how it would work with the eGPU and it was completely flawless, worked straight away which backs up my theory of a hardware problem. 

Good to know that you didn't do something that I was missing though, thanks. I appreciate it. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Alejandro Echeverria
(@alejandro_echeverria)

Hi, 

Running a similar setup with a AMD 5600XT

I see the card after installing driver, but not able to open AMD Software as it gives me a "no drivers installed....". 

Did you manage to install AMD drivers before pluging in the eGPU, but AMDs installer gave an error. 

Any ideas? Want to replicate this process, maybe it'll work. 

Thanks!

ReplyQuote