2017 15" Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB (MX130) [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1650 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5c ) + Win10 1909 [Ivan_gojak]
Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB 15.6"
CPU: i3-7100U 2.4Ghz
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
dGPU: GeForce MX130 2Gb GDDR5
OS: Win 10 64bit(1909 build)
eGPU : GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
eGPU enclosure: EXP GDC 8.5c A+E key
MS 400W external power supply
This version of laptop is highly likely to have wifi port whitelisted, so the steps would start with removing whitelist because this version doesn't support hot swapping which is necessary to avoid it.
1. Disable PXE boot , switch from switchable graphics to UMA in the bios
3. Enable ATX POWER on ur Beast
4. Open laptop, remove DVD drive/cover so u can easily pass ur cable and connect everything into slots.
5. Power ON ur eGPU, then power ON ur laptop
6. U should be seeing ur GPU inside Device manager as Microsoft basic adapter. Go ahead and download the drivers and install then. If ur lucky enough it will work like plug and play.
## ERRORS ##
1. There is no GPU in device manager? Try right clicking on display adapters and scan for hardware changes, try it couple of times , if it still doesn't show try rebooting , and repeating same process. It has to show eventually, if it doesn't u probably have ur WiFi port whitelisted or u can use nando's eGPU setup 1.35 and check if it is detected in preboot environment.
2. I can see my GPU inside device manager, installed drivers but i get error 43? Download nvidia-error-43-fixer and apply it.
3. Fixed error 43 , now i get error 31? Ur gpu is unstable for use on GEN3, buy nando diy egpu setup 1.35 and downgrade ur link speed to GEN2
4. Fixed error 43, card is working, but if i try to run graphically intensive workload , pc freezes and windows crashes with BCD_watchdog_violation? Ur gpu is unstable for use on GEN3, buy nando diy egpu setup 1.35 and downgrade ur link speed to GEN2
5. Any other errors that might occur are probably result of running on GEN3, downgrading to GEN2 gets u perfectly stable eGPU experience where only error 43 can occur which is easy fixable tnx to nando4. If u get error 12 (i never had it) it is probably not connected to GEN speeds but to allocation of memory.
Additional stuff: Since this is 7th gen CPU it runs on GEN3 speeds and with this GPU (GTX1650) there is no way to get it to be stable. I tried everything suggested on the internet, did get picture on my external monitor twice , but it freezes and crashes after some time or in case of heavier usage. I also have Radeon HD 5450,an old GPU which works perfectly on GEN3 but is too weak for today standards. It is worth to notice that installation of HD 5450 was plug and play, no errors, perfectly stable.
WHITELISTED WIFI PORT:
When i was preparing to install eGPU for this laptop i prepared like it had whitelisted port, but was lucky mine didn't. In case u have it u will need EEPROM BIOS USB PROGRAMMER CH341A + SOIC8 CLIP to read ur BIOS chip which is located next to ur battery on the edge of motherboard, modify ur bios to remove the whitelist and flash it back on. Here is interesting thread/guide u can follow https://medium.com/@p0358/removing-wlan-wwan-bios-whitelist-on-a-lenovo-laptop-to-use-a-custom-wi-fi-card-f6033a5a5e5a
***If u cant enter into menu-setup in diy egpu setup 1.35 contact nando4
(last ss is from MX130 bm, ss before that is of GTX 1650 pc bm )
On DirectX12 it show 53 % less performance than same care running on x16 sloth, result of it being bottlenecked by x1 4Mbps connection.
ALL BENCHMARKS ARE PERFORMED ON EXTERNAL MONITOR.
All in all, this CPU is still bottleneck in most of the games, especially in esport titles which i mostly play. COD Warzone runs average of 27 fps low setting 1080p and did see some improvement with this upgrade, Valorant didnt see much improvement in fps but fps are more stable. I have yet to play some directX11 games but seems like this is perfect setup for them. If it could be stable on GEN3 it would be probably better but still it is only x1. If u have x4 sloth access and little bit better cpu u would get decent performance even on DX12.
It is till 100% better in performance then my dGPU MX130, so till i need it for my PC build it will be upgrade to my gaming.