Setup & Software Discussions
2019 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 1...

2019 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [Gideon Brillantes]  

RSS

(@gideon_brillantes)

System specs

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 - Intel Core i7-9750H, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q 4 GB, 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 500 nits, IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™ HDR 400

External Monitor - LG 27UK850 27" 4K UHD IPS Monitor with HDR10

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X Chroma

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

Still working out a few kinks with this setup, however, @prasys does provide a starting point with the following steps:

1. Be sure to update all the frimware via Lenovo Vantage-  this includes the BIOS & TB3 Frimware
2. Go to BIOS and disable Thunderbolt security - else it gets all cranky 
3. Uninstall drivers using  DDU . It's important that you do not let the computer to use the stock Lenovo drivers , otherwise you'll have a lot of issues when unplugging or swapping the graphics. 
4. Download Latest  NVIDIA Driver  (Pick the Mobile version) and have it installed 
5. Reboot!

Benchmarks 

Will add benchmark pictures when I have the chance and after I've work out the kinks in this setup. 

I will say that as of right now, I've been able to play Doom (2016), Far Cry 5, Arma 3 at a solid and reliable 60 FPS.

This last image demonstrates better performance when using the included USB-C cable from Razer.

Comments 

Prior to assembling this build, I had an old desktop PC, built in 2013, that currently has a 3rd gen i7, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, and a GTX 1070 as well as a SurfaceBook 2 15" with 16 GB DDR4 RAM and GTX 1060. This was great for for a while in college as an engineer student, I would be able to perform heavy Solidworks builds on my desktop and light building on the SurfaceBook. Furthermore I could continue using the SurfaceBook in tablet mode to take notes during class.

I switched over in order to better suit my current needs as I tend to travel more frequently for work. This build allows me to continue to enjoy an amazing gaming experience with the RTX 2080 Ti, especially at 4K, yet also keep my work assets accessible on the same system. The dGPU is still good enough for daily tasks, and and coupled with the 9th gen CPU and FHD HDR display provides excellent battery life. 

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@gideon_brillantes , thank  you for your build. Do note that your CUDA-Z host-to-device (H2D) bandwidth looks more like a downgraded 16Gbps TB2 link:

https://egpu.io/builds/#perf

Same link explains things to check to get full 32Gbps-TB3 performance:

32Gbps-TB3: to achieve ~2254MiB/s H2D (Nvidia) or ~2550MB/s (AMD) requires the correct TB3 enclosure firmware, a 40Gbps TB3 cable , NO additional active TB3 enclosure ports and a x4 3.0 host PCIe port (not x4 2.0). U-CPU systems must be in OPI 4GT/s.

This post was modified 2 months ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@ben_thompson)

@nando4 Looking at the photos I don't think Gideon is using the enclosed 70cm cable that comes with the Core X Chroma (I know that cable is a lot shorter than I thought it was going to be - so that could be the issue.

@Gideon how is the noise from the Gen 2. I received one last week but it's going back as the fans were too noisy and far too active even when I wasn't doing anything. 

I've replaced it with a Razer Blade Stealth as I worked out I could cope without the CPU grunt. I build report will follow later

2019 Razer Blade Stealth (16gb, replacement 1tb NVme, MX150)
Razer Core X Chroma (replacement SF750 PSU, Noctua NF-S12A FLX Fan)
EVGA 1080 to be replaced by Gigabyte 2080 TI Windforce OC once it arrives

ReplyQuote
(@gideon_brillantes)

@ben_thompson

Good point about the included USB-C cable for the Core X. I'll try using that one instead and return the results once I've changed it out. 

Fan noise is minimal and only engages when I'm playing a game. Even then it isn't too loud.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@gideon_brillantes)

Thinking I should update this thread:

Since the last post, I've swapped the USB-C I was working with initially that was giving me 16 GB data transfer rates and now seeing those improved rates as shown in the graphics in the OP.

Only problems I'm still seeing at this time is inconsistent fps in some games. Recently began playing the new COD MW and have run into issues with the graphics glitching out in some scenes or >40 fps in one game then <30 fps in the next (Ultra settings at 4K). Totally could be the fault of the installation files and will probably look into reinstalling the game entirely (scan and repair reports no issues). Outer Worlds with the same settings was  gimmicky at first but has improved since. 

As some have reported in other forums/threads/sites, the use of the eGPU will most likely perform at one tier lower than what it is capable (i.e. my 2080 Ti eGPU demonstrates the performance of a normal 2080 GPU) so I'm maintaining relatively low standards for the setup I have going through the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
(@fellar031)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @gideon_brillantes

Thinking I should update this thread:

Since the last post, I've swapped the USB-C I was working with initially that was giving me 16 GB data transfer rates and now seeing those improved rates as shown in the graphics in the OP.

Only problems I'm still seeing at this time is inconsistent fps in some games. Recently began playing the new COD MW and have run into issues with the graphics glitching out in some scenes or >40 fps in one game then <30 fps in the next (Ultra settings at 4K). Totally could be the fault of the installation files and will probably look into reinstalling the game entirely (scan and repair reports no issues). Outer Worlds with the same settings was  gimmicky at first but has improved since. 

As some have reported in other forums/threads/sites, the use of the eGPU will most likely perform at one tier lower than what it is capable (i.e. my 2080 Ti eGPU demonstrates the performance of a normal 2080 GPU) so I'm maintaining relatively low standards for the setup I have going through the eGPU.

Hey,  how is it going on now? It might be great if you could add the thermal pad on VRM since i recall that most of the laptop doesn't have it except the razer blade 15..

ReplyQuote
(@ryan_holle)

@gideon_brillantes

Have you observed any issues with USB peripherals connected to the Chroma no longer working on start-up and requiring a restart?

ReplyQuote