2019 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 1...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [Gideon Brillantes]  

of  2
  RSS

Gideon Brillantes
(@gideon_brillantes)

Posted by: @prasys

@gideon_brillantes

Looks like Lenovo did not fix it in Gen 2 either. Do you have frame rate drop issue with two monitors (i.e laptop internal + external). I realised that I need to toggle Intel HD on/off , otherwise there would be huge frame drops if I use two monitors 

I only disabled the 1650 and it's been working fine since then. I wouldn't recommend disabling both the Intel GPU and 1650 (definitely caused problems) but otherwise with the 1650 off I don't have issues with framerate. Although I have to say the 2080 Ti does have occasional hiccups for some reason (inconsistencies in FPS in game).

2019 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

prasys liked
ReplyQuote
sxm078100
(@sxm078100)

are you able to run both 1650 and 2080 Ti simultaneously?( enough Pcie lines on motherboard to support it, if using 2 Nvme SSD and wifi card).  I wanted to see if I could split my Machine learning workload among both GPU's.

sxm078100

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Chenggang Li
(@chenggang_li)

@gideon_brillantes

Hi, I have the same setup, do you have any problem booting the laptop with egpu plugged in? Mine is Razer Core X Chroma with RTX 2070 Super. I have to connect it after windows is loaded.

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Gideon Brillantes
(@gideon_brillantes)

@chenggang_li, yeah that's how's it's been for me. No workaround unfortunately.

2019 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jestorx
(@jestorx)

Great write up and walkthrough.

I also have a Extreme Gen 2 and am using a Razer X Chroma but I'm using the eGPU to run my peripherals (mouse, keyboard) running to an external display and not using the Gen 2's display when gaming or otherwise (just when travelling with no eGPU). 

My setup includes a Rx 480 8GB as I'm only playing older games like Diablo 3. 

I have had some pretty impressive failures in the system though, complete system shutdowns 3-4 times. Heat isn't the issue, the internal and integrated graphics from the laptop are both disabled. 

I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing older games or because the older card doesn't have as much support so if you have any tips I'd be open to them.

Regardless, great review and thanks for the info!

ReplyQuote
Biraj G.c
(@biraj_g_c)

@gideon_brillantes

Love this setup. I am planning to do one for my self. I have a x1e gen 2 and am strictly on budget. This is the setup im planning on getting

Lenovo X1 extreme gen 2, i7 9750H 16 Gb

AOC 27g2 flat screen 

Lenovo booststation gpu with RTX 2060 6gb (probably already released cause i can find it on their site and they are actually selling it) its 599 for the bundle and has space for sata ssd so i thought that it might be good. plus its from lenovo so hopefully might cause a little less problem.

now i have a couple question: 

1. x1e has a 135w charger is the 100w from razer chrome enough to charge the computer while gaming intensely( or atleast not drain the charge)?

2. When you say to uninstall the driver from the computer that probably means the internal 1650 max-q, but when you say install it from the website do i install the driver for the same 1650 max-q? and if thats the case will connecting the egpu automatically install the driver itself onto the computer? 

3. i see you say the transition from the internal to external graphics is pretty annoying. how do you do it? do you connect it and then boot your computer or boot your computer and then connect it? 

4. And as for the fps drop do you think maybe using short cable for thunder bolt 3, using just one external monitor and using power cable(135w) at the same time work? 

ReplyQuote
Gideon Brillantes
(@gideon_brillantes)

Posted by: @biraj_g_c

@gideon_brillantes

Love this setup. I am planning to do one for my self. I have a x1e gen 2 and am strictly on budget. This is the setup im planning on getting

Lenovo X1 extreme gen 2, i7 9750H 16 Gb

AOC 27g2 flat screen 

Lenovo booststation gpu with RTX 2060 6gb (probably already released cause i can find it on their site and they are actually selling it) its 599 for the bundle and has space for sata ssd so i thought that it might be good. plus its from lenovo so hopefully might cause a little less problem.

now i have a couple question: 

1. x1e has a 135w charger is the 100w from razer chrome enough to charge the computer while gaming intensely( or atleast not drain the charge)?

2. When you say to uninstall the driver from the computer that probably means the internal 1650 max-q, but when you say install it from the website do i install the driver for the same 1650 max-q? and if thats the case will connecting the egpu automatically install the driver itself onto the computer? 

3. i see you say the transition from the internal to external graphics is pretty annoying. how do you do it? do you connect it and then boot your computer or boot your computer and then connect it? 

4. And as for the fps drop do you think maybe using short cable for thunder bolt 3, using just one external monitor and using power cable(135w) at the same time work? 

1. As long as you're using the Original USB-C cable that came with the Core, it'll keep the X1E topped off without an issue. Even during heavy duty load, the laptop will lose little to no charge.

2. Just disable the internal GPU. When the eGPU is connected, the laptop will only recognize that eGPU card. Even if you had both internal and external GPUs enabled, Geforce Experience will download the necessary drivers for both, as it'll recognize both GPUs.

3. Boot PC then connect. This is probably the most successful method, but you may still run into issues. But once it's connected, it's usually good to go, even if you close and reopen the laptop shell. If you close it, usually it will keep the monitor on.

4.  The single TB3 cable that comes in the box is plenty. You should be able to get by with that alone. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2