2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th, 6C, H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th, 6C, H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [phila-delphia]  

RSS

phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)

System specs

Lenovo Yoga c940 15" / i7 9750H / GTX 1650 Q-Max /16 GB RAM / 1TB NVME SSD

eGPU hardware

RTX 2070 Super Gigabyte Windforce OC @ Razer Core X Chroma

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

In general it all went plug and play, the most important steps were:

1.) Disabeling Fast Startup in Energy-Settings

2.) Installing the same dirver for internal & eGPU (which can be tricky if both are nVidia -> uninstall cards and install both from one driver VS. install dGPU, connect eGPU an install with the same dirver)

3.) Disabeling internal GPU will prevent small freezes/hickups every few seconds (via Hardwaremanager if you want to switch on the fly / via bios if you prefere much longer battery time on the go)

Benchmarks (external LCD)

Comments

With the current setup I finally am close to the dream of having a real all in one solution. I use the c940 on the go a lot, still at home - by just plugging in two cables - I can use allmost all of the advantages of a desktop and multimedia setup thanks to the fact that the Razer Core Chroma X allows to plug in so many peripherals (including external SSD & Raid & Monitor & LED projector).

I am still somewhat puzzled, that my former Yoga 720 connected to the same eGPU produced better FPS than my Yoga c940 does. Please feel free to comment on this thread: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/less-egpu-performance-with-better-notebook/ Its especially the games that use DENUVO anti tamper protection, that run very bad on my setup.

This topic was modified 6 days ago

Lenovo Yoga c940 15": i7-9750h / GTX 1650 Max-Q / 16 GB RAM / 1 TB NVMe @ Razer Core Chroma: RTX 2070 Super / 1 TB SSD / 2 TB RAID 1 / AOC C3583FQ / LG 1500 / G 604 / G 613 / Sony MDR 1000

Mini i5, itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@phila-delphia, Have you checked the PCH and its temps during gameplay? If it gets close to 80 degress Celsius the Thunderbolt 3 connection through here may get throttled. I found a motherboard photo on notebookcheck that shows an uncooled PCH chip.

Last but not least is the incredible insights @nando4 shared in one of his builds. He mentioned the BIOS optimization for Thunderbolt 3 connection is very lacking on H-CPU systems (except the 15" MacBook Pro). I don't know how feasible it is to produce a patch.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)

@itsage, Thank you for bothering to hepl me and thank you for the insight shared. The PCH chip in indeed uncooled - I will give it a look after I return home end of the week and see if there is something I can do about it! I will also read nando4s article!

Thx again for yout help! I will report back!

All the best!

phil

Lenovo Yoga c940 15": i7-9750h / GTX 1650 Max-Q / 16 GB RAM / 1 TB NVMe @ Razer Core Chroma: RTX 2070 Super / 1 TB SSD / 2 TB RAID 1 / AOC C3583FQ / LG 1500 / G 604 / G 613 / Sony MDR 1000

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)

@itsage, I had chance to check the PCH temperature. It will hover at 57-61°C when the TB3 is under gaming load... So that`s not the issue. I suspect the bad 9750h Bios nando mentioned in his build. Still I thank you very much!

All the best!

phil

itsage liked
ReplyQuote