2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Ra...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [phila-delphia]  

of  2
  RSS

phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)
Eminent Member

@wmilun

Thank you for sharing you details. Here is what I think/did:

Overheating:

- I got Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut. One pad sufficed for GPU and CPU. I used to use Cryonaut but the pad is far better as it is easy to put on, will last longer AND works with low amount of pressure.

- I onstalled Throttlestop and untervolt your CPU to about -125mV on Core and Cache.

Unpluging:

- I simply do not hotplug my notebook to TB3 because of the externel stroage that is connected to my Chroma.

- I have my GTX 1650 deactivated in Bios unless I want to "game on the go".

Crash on Startup:

- I disabled fastboot and "Use my sign-in options to automatically setting up my device" under Win 10 -> Settings -> Sign-in options -> Privacy 

- The most chrashes on Startup where due to my impatience. Having strapped HDDs (bitlocked) & Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard to the Chroma will result in longer booting times - especially with a clean restart or the restart after repluging my notebook.

Best regards

phila

2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Michael Gordon
(@michael_gordon)

Hi all,

I recently got this laptop, a c940 i7 model with 12gb of ram and a 1080p display. I got it for other reasons other than its thunderbolt capability, however I wanted to look into using it as a desktop replacement. I got a gigabyte 1050ti gaming box that worked previously with another laptop I had, however i can't get it to work with this one.

the first time I (hotplugged) it in, it was recognized and the mouse I had plugged into it was recolonized as well.

I then went to download the thunderbolt drivers and update the thing, however now it isn't working at all.

I know both the ports work bc I can charge with them and have a usb-c doc that works as well. However, all the egpu does now is charge the laptop. I'm stuck. Do you guys have any advice?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
phila-delphia
(@phila-delphia)
Eminent Member

@michael_gordon

First of all: If you have the model with GTX 1650 inside as I do, then I guess you will not benefit from the GTX 1050ti.

As to the reconigtion: I had this in the begining...

- be sure to disable fastboot/quickstart in Windows options and perform a fresh reboot. This helps in the most cases.

- you could as well uninstall the TB drivers completely and let windows do the job. It should install the drivers correctly.

Hope this helps!

All the best

phila

2019 15" Lenovo Yoga C940 (GTX1650) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2