2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th, 8C, H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th, 8C, H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.2 [sdanaher19]  

RSS

sdanaher19
(@sdanaher19)

Hello all, I have worked the last several months finalizing this build using my daily driver MacBook Pro that I travel with a couple hundred nights a year + an at-home eGPU setup that substantially enhances my gaming performance at home.  Here it is!

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

Nearly fully-specced 2019 15" MacBook Pro

2.4ghz 8-core i9 (Boost to 5ghz)

2TB HD

32GB Ram

Vega 20

27" Samsung 1440 144hz curved monitor (Connected to eGPU)

Caldigits TS3 Dock connected to this is: [Samson G Track Pro microphone (USB), Audeze Mobius Headset (USB-C), Corsair Wireless Mouse Receiver (USB)

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core Chroma X Enclosure with: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT eGPU

Customization to Razer Core X Chroma: replaced case fan with Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX and replaced PSU with Corsair SF600.  

Decibel levels at system idle about 2.5 feet from eGPU is ~25db

TB3 Cable is Apple TB3 Cable, short length passive cable 

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for “attach files” button to appear. Or can link from say http://imgur.com )

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Almost entirely Plug and Play.  There were small hiccups along the way.  Notably 2:

1. Finding the right TB3 cord... originally I was using a longer active cord for the eGPU which for some reason was not maximizing the system and getting the same results.  Could have been not the cord and something else, but I was pretty intentional at making changes and re-benchmarking.

2. the CalDigits TS3 dock... I got CoreAudio overloads + dropouts with the Audeze Mobius plugged into the 10GBPs USB-C port... and none in the 5GBps port (front).  No idea here, but tested tehi back and forth with Console open... something was wrong with using the back part.

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

Unigen Valley: https://imgur.com/oTx8fVy

GeekBench 5 OpenCL: https://imgur.com/ScDpS2a

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

I actually only play (occasionally) World of Warcraft Classic, that said the improvement  in graphics over the Vega 20 is awesome.  I play at full max settings (except SSAO: off) in WoW now at 1440p intentionally maxed at 120hz, it looks incredible for the game.

This topic was modified 1 week ago

2019 MacBook Pro 15" i9, 32gb, 2tb, Vega 20 + Razer Core X Chroma w/ Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700 xt

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@sdanaher19 Thank you for sharing this build! You can download and run CL!ng in macOS to confirm full Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth when using a cable longer than the included .5m. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote