- 2019 15'' Macbook Pro
- dGPU: Radeon Pro Vega 20
- CPU: Intel i9-9880H
- Win10: Installed with bootcamp
- Mac OS Mojave 10.14 (eGPU only available on Win10 because I'm using NVIDIA card)
- no external monitor, internal display only.
1. Assemble eGpu.
2. Installing win10 with Boot camp assistant.
3. Restart with win10
4. Uninstall AMD drive in win10 with DDU and reboot
5. Download the AMD drive from the official website, install and then reboot
6. Plug-in the eGPU, download the official NVIDIA drive, shut down the laptop
7. Un-plug the eGPU, boot the laptop with win10 and log in.
8. plug-in the eGPU, wait several seconds until the OS recognizes it
9A. To use the eGPU for gaming, search Display in start menu, find Advanced Graphic Settings, and browse your game executable file(*.exe). Set 'high performance' for it, which means the eGPU will be used.
9B. To use the eGPU for deep learning, you should download and install cuda & cudnn.
Host Pinned to Device: 2140.24 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 1769 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 2704.39 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 2118.88 MiB/s
Device to Device: 209.855 GiB/s
Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)
The performance loss due to TB3 is obvious, but my laptop is now like a gaming PC anyway. I can now train DNNs(deep neural networks) much faster.
Looks like we have a similar setup. Regarding "Step 5 - Download the AMD drive from the official website, install and then reboot" Which AMD drive did you download specifically? I used this site: https://www.amd.com/en/support and I installed the "Apple Boot Camp" driver under "Mac Graphics". Is this correct? I also have an AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20 dGPU.
Also, have you ever experienced the "Code 43" error? Or does your Windows always connect to your eGPU via the hotplug? Have you had your bluetooth or other devices knocked out due to connecting the eGPU?
MacBook Pro 15" 2019; Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4; iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB; dGPU: Radeon Pro Vega 20
macOS Catalina 10.15.1; Windows 10 Home1909 (BootCamp)
Oculus Quest with Oculus Link (Beta)