Setup & Software Discussions
2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP555X) [9th,6C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP555X) [9th,6C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 [Othyn] // Vive VR  

RSS

Othyn
(@othyn)

System Specs

• 2019 15" MacBook Pro
    • Intel Core i7 9750H 6C/12T @ 2.6GHz (Turbo 4.5GHz)
    • Intel UHD Graphics 630 1.5GB
    • Radeon Pro 555X 4GB
    • 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    • 1TB Apple SSD AP1024M
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88)
  • Windows 10 Education 1903 18362.356 (Education sits between Enterprise and Pro)
  • HTC Vive

eGPU Hardware

Everything kept stock. I parted off and sold my old i7 6850K custom build (sad times) and U3415W as I no longer required it, keeping only the SSD's for external enclosures/home lab servers and the GPU with the intention of pairing it up with my 2014 15" MBP over TB2. I should point out I loved playing with my Vive on that machine. That was a year ago, and a lot happened imbetween to slow my plans. I have since got a new 2019 15" MBP (the one listed) and decided its time to pull the trigger and get the 980Ti roaring back into life for a VR session with my Vive once again.

Hardware Pictures

Razer Core X GTX 980 Ti Installation

Laptop Setup (Temporary) VR Setup

Installation

So, as I was using an NVIDIA card with Catalina, macOS is out of the window. Thanks for that, corporate greed.

Strangely enough, this was a breeze with Windows though. I was setting myself up for all sorts of things reading on here, but it was all plug and play.

• Setup the Razer Core X with the GTX 980Ti, which was a doddle if you've ever worked with computers before or not.
  • Then setup bootcamp, letting it do its thing and installing. Adding it to the local AD that I run with the home lab (a little HP G8 Micro) using my old desktops Edu key.
  • Once in bootcamp with everything setup how I like it, thank you Ninite as always, I plugged in the Razer Core X and installed the NVIDIA drivers, reboot.
  • Done! Everything just worked, using an accelerated internal display, as I sold my U3415W (again, sad times).

I was quite suprised. Beyond setting games to run on the 'High Power' GPU under windows Graphics Settings for Classic Apps, it was completely plug and play.

One thing of note, the eGPU HAS to be plugged in after the windows boot screen has passed, otherwise its infinite black screens for you!

The only game I am having trouble with is Minecraft. There was a post on Jira that I would love to reference, but I cannot for the life of me find it again. It states that Minecraft will only ever run on GPU 0 and its a known bug, although little has been done to fix it. And, as I don't have an external monitor, I cannot access the NVIDIA control panel to enable the context menu for forcing it to run on the NVIDIA GPU. No amount of setting the java binaries within the minecraft folder under Windows Graphics Settings will make it run on the eGPU.

All other games are working fine, plethora of normal games; CS:GO, Cube World, Factorio, etc. VR Games; Beatsabre, Audioshield, VR Home, etc.

Benchmarks

Apologies for the non-screenshots.

Before After

Configuration Setting the correct GPU Trying native resolution

Comments

Overall a seemless and good experience. Allows me to game and play VR just like my old custom build, in a much smaller, more cost effective and enjoyable format. Would highly recommend to anyone looking to do something similar!

This topic was modified 2 days ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@othyn Welcome aboard and excellent build guide! Nvidia cards typically have a much easier setup in Boot Camp. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

Othyn liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@othyn

Updated title of build to remove macOS since eGPU cannot be set up with that version (could confuse others when searching for builds in the table, since this is added automatically).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Othyn and itsage liked
ReplyQuote