2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10  

RSS

Spiderpubes
(@spiderpubes)

System Specs:
The same as the topic title, running through an external 1440p 144hz monitor.

eGPU hardware:
Razer Core X Chroma, making use of 2 of 4 USB slots at the moment. - I've seen people complain that the USB slots are unreliable with frequent drop outs. I had experienced that when I plugged my monitor's USB cable in to adjust the RGB, however when I changed the light mode to something more simplistic the reliability issues disappeared and the monitor hub was able to be used as well.

Hardware Pictures:
When I have more posts.

Installation Steps:
So going into this build I was expecting it to be a giant pain with Error 12, etc. I did not run into a single problem and the entire experience was basically plug and play. Mac OS worked perfectly as to be expected. Windows too, just about.

Previously I have used bootcamp on this same laptop and without an eGPU it never recognized the internal graphics, just the 560X so I wasn't really expecting any use of that graphics anyway. I don't see why you would want to use it either with a desktop grade GPU sitting in an enclosure?

I kept the eGPU unplugged as I installed Windows 10 OS Build 18362.30, everything went without a hitch, installed boot-camp drivers and restarted. Updated Apple software. Everything stable. I downloaded the April Red drivers from bootcampdrivers, booted into safe mode, ran DDU, turned off the computer, plugged in my eGPU and booted windows.

There was no hanging boot loop, no errors, except no image displayed on my monitor of course. Installed the bootcampdrivers, display turns on, everything working, internal display works too. Easy. I went into the display settings and turned off the internal display because I don't need it and disabled the 560X in device manager so all graphics are handled by the 5700 XT. Put my macbook into clamshell mode and forgot about it. Everything just works.

Benchmarks
I can't post photos yet,

Resident Evil 3 Remake: 114fps on high settings 1440p

CS:GO: 60fps on low/medium/high settings 1440p. UNTIL I found a fix which upped it to 200/300fps:
I don't know if it just runs poorly with the 5700 XT or the i9 8 Core's single core performance is so bad it's dragging me down. In-game the card runs at the level it should, but the CPU hovers around 5% usage, I was struggling to get over 60fps. After pulling all of my hair out and thinking "man this card cost me $750 AUD and it can't even play CS:GO" I found a fix that seems to work. In task manager I went into the details tab and modified the 'affinity' settings for CS:GO and unticked CPU 0 and set the priority to high. Instant 200/300 fps

Comments
Fan noise is a problem still under Windows, using ThrottleStop and modifying the Turbo Boost Power Limits has reduced it slightly, but I'm still looking for a fix for this.

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AngryJedi
(@angryjedi)

Have you been able to get the iGPU to work and to attach the iGPU as the primary card for the internal display?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote