2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega16) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega16) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 19551 // Latest fast ring Win 10  

RSS

steek
(@steek)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

mid 2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega 16) [9th,8C,H], i9-9880H, Intel® UHD Graphics 630 igpu, Vega 16 dGPU/32G RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core X, sapphire nitro+ radeon rx 5700 xt

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

MacOS 10.15.3: plug and play, recognized the card immediately, soft eject and other functions work fine.

Win 10 Pro for Workstations 1903: Code 12 right after plugging the enclosure in, card recognized as generic adapter. Installed Blue drivers from www.bootcampdrivers.com, did NOT boot into safe nor ran DDU, just checked "Reset Card" flag, rebooted, clicked "Setup" again. Code 12 but card  model was recognized properly. Hot/cold plug resulted in Code 12, disabling PCIe devices didn't yield any positive results. Instead of playing with "pci.sys", I updated Win 10 to slow ring Insider edition, did not help. Updated to the latest Win 10 fast ring - 19551.1005, card is recognized with no problems on cold boot, both dgpu (internal monitor) and egpu work just fine. AMD  XConnect appears to be functional. Stress tests / benchmarks run fine, no artifacts or instability. Hot plug still results in Code 12, which is not a big deal, considering cold boot is stable.

At the end of the day, for my machine, it took an update to the latest Win 10 from the fast ring and installing Blue drivers from www.bootcampdrivers.com with "Reset card" option, no other actions such as Safe boot or DDU were needed.

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

3dmark, PCI Express bandwidth - 2.7Gbytes/sec

3dmark, Time Spy 8204

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

The cost of egpu setup ended up being around $750 (USD), which is reasonable for making gaming possible without buying a PC.

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega16) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 19551 [build link]  

jackxujh, Ningauble77, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
steek
(@steek)

19555 Win10 still works fine for cold boot

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega16) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 19551 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
load97
(@load97)

Thanks for the update. I'll probably be trying similar steps tonight on my new eGPU setup.

Are you able to stay on certain windows insider builds, or are you forced to move to the next build when they come out? Googling, I'm not having great luck with an answer. I'd hate to be on a build that works like you found, but then be forced to move to a newer build that might have more problems.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
steek
(@steek)

So, going out of Insider builds is not really possible. Even if you toggle that flag that says "stop flighting" on major release, you still have Insider version setup. 

The setup have been working fine for several months but weekly updates on Fast right have been irritating. So, when MS released Win10 2004, I tried to re-install it clean knowing that it worked on Insider builds but error 12 returned and no matter how I tries, I couldn't get it to work. It's silly but I had to return to Fast ring again to make it recognize the card and restore functionality. 

I'm honestly not sure what the difference in OS config when it's on Fast ring but it resolves the issue. 

ReplyQuote