2019 15" Macbook Pro (Vega20) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10  

RSS

Scott Brookes
(@scott_brookes)

System specs

2019 15" Macbook Pro (Vega 20) [9th,8C,H] + Gigabyte GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 (1909)

Hardware pictures 

Coming shortly

Installation steps

Setting up BOOTCAMP

1. Install BOOTCAMP

2. Run the DDU software from bootcampdrivers.com and reinstall the current version of Red Radeon Drivers

3. Download the Drivers for GTX 1070

4. Plug eGPU in, wait for windows to create the Basic VGA Adaptor in Device Manager

5. Install the GTX 1070 Drivers

6. Disable the Vega 20 Graphics in Device Manager

7. Reboot Windows with the steps below

Setting up eGPU

1. Referring to the picture. I plugged in the Mouse into the lower left port. The Keyboard into the lower right port. External USB Drive (Game location) to the upper right port.

2. I had the Razer Core X eGPU plugged into a monitor with HDMI and loosely plugged into the upper left port on the computer.

3. I booted into Windows and at the spinning wheel I inserted the eGPU cable.

4. I was able to run ultra settings at 1080p on the monitor with the lid open or closed

Benchmarks

3DMark 1080p

Vega 20 (27” Thunderbolt Display) 2836 - GPUTest1 17FPS - GPUTest2 14FPS

GTX 1070 (Stock) (HDMI) 4222 - GPUTest1 27FPS - GPUTest2 25FPS (Mirrored Display)

GTX 1070 (Stock) (HDMI) 5702 - GPUTest1 36FPS - GPUTest2 32FPS (Extended Display)

Geekbench 5 is showing an improvement in Open CL up from 24K to 46K

F1 2019

Vega 20 - 45-60FPS Medium/High

GTX 1070 - 85-110FPS Ultra

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display

IMG 2515

Ok this one took a little bit longer for me to get working then I would of liked but it was actually much simpler then I thought it would be. First. There is definitely significant loss of FPS using the computer to process the video over thunderbolt but with the 1070 it was still completely usable for gaming. Second. I found the Thunderbolt Display to be dimmer then using a regular HDMI connection (im going to test the games I play again later with the Vega 20 and see if that is true with that.  It might just be that ive been on a brighter screen for the last week and need to adjust)

Installation

1. If you followed the steps that I put out above you will need to start the windows with nothing plugged in and go into device manager and enable the Vega 20 (you probably didn't need to disable it before but it was easier for me to do that before in order to not have to add all my games to high performance in the control panel), then turn off computer.

2. Plug your mouse, keyboard, External Game SSD (im running a Samsung T5) into the thunderbolt display.

3. plug the Thunderbolt Display into the right side (top) thunderbolt port (obviously with the TB2-TB3 adaptor)

4. have the top left TB port ready to go with the eGPU cable.

5. boot to windows, plug in the eGPU at the spinning dots.

6. change the resolution of the display to 1920 x 1080 (you have to use mirroring... I couldn't get extend to work)

7. in windows open the graphic settings and ensure the games you want to play as set to high performance on the eGPU

8. Start a game

Benchmarks (w/ Thunderbolt Display)

F1 2019

GTX 1070 - 55-70FPS Ultra

I will add some more benchmarks with the display later but at least that gives you an idea of the performance loss

IMG 2427

GPU1 is the Vega 20

GPU2 is the eGPU GTX 1070

-------------------------------------------------------

Oculus Rift S + eGPU + Macbook Pro

I purchased an oculus Rift S in the last couple weeks to run in boot camp and I haven't had any issues at all

I plug the USB cable with a USB C adaptor into the right side of the MBP (While powered off)

I Plug the eGPU Thunderbolt cable into the left side of the MBP (While powered off)

I plug the DisplayPort cable into the eGPU

Turn on the eGPU when the spinning wheel shows up on the Windows boot up

If you want to watch the display outside of the headset (for friends) you can plug an HDMI cable into the GPU or without that it will display on the MBP screen

I don't know what frame rates I was getting with the Oculus Headset but I do know that the CPU Never went more then 80-85 degrees in Half-Life Alyx 

Comments

I have a new display on order an MSI 32" 144 HZ display that I will try and get some more numbers on

I am also looking into upgrading the card in the eGPU to a 2070 Super, but im going to wait until I try the 144HZ display to see if I really want to

This topic was modified 5 months ago
2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote