2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 17763
MacBook Pro 15" 2019 with Vega 20 dGPU running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 with Bootcamp Windows 10 v17763
Samsung CJ79 34" 100Hz UWQHD Curved FreeSync VA QLED Monitor w/ Thunderbolt 3 (connecting via HDMI).
Plug and play, no issues.
I literally followed all the steps in the video from and it worked right away. After completing all the steps in the linked video I then plugged in my eGPU and it worked without issue.
- Heaven (4k widescreen, all settings maxed): 361/770
- 3dMark Spy (4k widescreen, all settings maxed): 2800/7500
- Borderlands 3 (4k widescreen, max settings): unplayable/40 fps
- Borderlands 3 (4k widescreen, medium settings): 30/60+ fps.
- Dragons Dogma (2k standard, max setttings) 30/60 to 100 fps (really depends on area)
- Total War: Warhammer 2 (MacOS) (2k widescreen, max settings late game save file) 15/60 fps
I have quite an old version of Windows 10 installed - this is because that was the version I bought when I first setup bootcamp. I am sure this helped. The 5600 is almost identical to the 5700 just less memory. Some oddities:
- I can not overclock the eGPU using the AMD Drivers and if I try using Afterburner it works for the memory but it doesn't work for the eGPU, in fact, according the Tech-Z it downscales the GPU to 1100 MHZ if I try and change anything. No sure what's going on there.
- My MacBook's fans run a full ball even when sitting in Windows. eGPU fans are fun so not sure why that's happening either. I would have expected a decrease in heat and noise. So something weird happening here.
Hope that's helpful as this site was very helpful to me building this box.
After another reboot the fan issue died down to what I would consider normal levels. The overclock is a mystery.
Also, I am able to boot into Windows directly with the eGPU hooked up, I cannot do that the other way around. I need to already have MacOS logged in for the eGPU display to work. Its a minor nuisance but if anyone knows the solution would love to know this as well. Thanks.
@rob_ogilvie, so got my replacement Razer today, plugged in a network cable and it didn't work under macOS, not tested under windows. Having said that, obviously something is going on since the screen flashes when I put in the network cable and take it out.
Chroma X seems a bit flakey to be honest.