Setup & Software Discussions
2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th,8C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

2019 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [9th,8C,H] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [ttamnogard]  

RSS

ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
2019 Macbook Pro 15", i9 9880H with Intel UHD Graphics 630, Vega Pro 20, 10.14.6

Freesync 25 Dell 240hz monitor connected via DP through eGPU..

eGPU hardware
 (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)
Razer Core X, Radeon VII, Zikko TB3 cable (6.6ft)

Hardware pictures

Coming Soon!

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Direct connection, no install required for OS X

For Boot Camp, using latest bootcampdrivers.com stuff... DDU to clean up the drivers.... do NOT have anything plugged in (power only). Once Vega 20 software updated etc, shutdown... plug in eGPU... boot up in Windows... installs drivers... reboot.... 

DO NOT hot connect eGPU... must always be connected at shutdown and boot up.

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

Forthcoming

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

When in OS X, running in loopback shaves a ton of time off of most video editing apps (final cut pro test forthcoming)
In Windows, can maintain 240fps on Fortnite using Low or off settings and epic range... 

MBP fan runs a bit and I get the turbo fan bug when shutdown but Wattman works great and temps are well within range even after heavy gaming.. no thermal throttling noted after 1-2 hours of gaming.

I'm new to the eGPU game. This macbook is going to be my eldest's daily driver. Therefore my next build is the Razer 4k OLED... want to try the Radeon Vii with the Razer and possibly checkout out what the future will hold for the navi and next gen NVIDIA gpu...

This topic was modified 3 months ago

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

4k OLED razer on its way. I am going to do a video either tomorrow or Wednesday of my eGPU setup...

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

ended up going with a used 2018 mini that I was able to score cheaply. 64gb of ram, 2tb i7... definitely slower on TB3 than the MBP... it's an 9th gen i9 versus an 8th gen i7.

I wasn't sure if I should create another build as there are others already on here.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ttamnogard Nice score! Definitely post a new build because the 2018 Mac mini is quite different in configuration. Try macOS Catalina Beta so that you get Boot Screen support through the eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@itsage

will do. The MacBook pro is my daily driver so it is being retired from the eGPU game. Since the i7 is a beast as it is and the 64GB of ram is way too much for my needs, it's perfect for me to mess around with. I totally get the "no iGPU, no problems" methodology behind this rock star platform. Since thermals were poor, I am not surprised by the lack of mac pro (trash cans). I wonder what sort of beast the new mac pro will be

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@itsage

I ended up going with a PC gaming system so I can spend more time playing with these eGPU setups without disrupting my need to rage quit! The Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT showed up... tonight is blocked off to rebuilding the mac mini for this GPU... 

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ttamnogard That’s an excellent plan to enjoy the weekend!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@jason_thacker)

@ttamnogard

Hello, did you get the Chroma version or just the X?  Im hear that having the extra ports will cause issues.  Thanks in advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote