Setup & Software Discussions
2019 15" MSI GS65 9SD (GTX1660Ti) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gami...

2019 15" MSI GS65 9SD (GTX1660Ti) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903[wei lu]  

RSS

wei lu
(@wei_lu)

System specs

• Model:                 MSI GS65 9SD
  • TB:                        JHL6340
  • Display:                1080P 144Hz
  • Internal GPU:       Intel UHD 630
  • Discrete GPU:      GTX1660ti (80W)
  • CPU:                     i7-9750H

spec

eGPU hardware

• Enclosure:           Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box
  • GPU:                    Gigabyte RTX2060 Mini ITX OC
  • Cable:                  Gaming Box's original accessories
  • Power Supply:     Gaming Box's internal PSU

Benchmarks

aida64 Benchmark

GPGPUgs65

Total War : Three Kingdom Benchmark: Battle

2060ext
1660ti
2060int

summarize

TTW

Hardware pictures

hwigs65

Comments

As the tests show, different applications create a large performance difference (GPGPU/Game).
There is no obvious bottleneck in the calculation, but the ideal frame rate is not obtained in the game.

Please forgive me for using Google Translate

This topic was modified 5 months ago

Aorus Gaming Box & RTX 2060

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Trek468
(@trek468)

Hi there - thanks for posting this!!! 

I'm hoping if you have that setup you might post a screenshot of  3DMark TimeSpy Benchmark (showing GPU score and CPU score).

Since learning of eGPUs and the complexity of variables that affect performance beyond what seems obvious, I am now trying my 6th different device.    After originally going from an ultra low power TDP 5 Watt laptop (which was of course purchased for a very different use case than gaming), I have tried laptops to include: Dell G7 17", Razer Blade 15 Advanced, HP Spectre x360, Lenovo ThinkPad P53, and all of them have had a trade off that I haven't been happy with.

After changing my focus from wanting my eGPU to do nearly ALL of the heavy lifting (all CPUs were relatively similar ~ i7-8750H to i7-9750H or thereabouts), I finally decided that fussing the eGPU and the inconsistency of driver issues isn't really where I want to be spending my time.  Instead, I decided that the  GTX 1660 Ti (laptop version) on the MSI GS65 Stealth-296 would give me good enough gaming to not really need to use my eGPU anymore (I have the Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition). 

After reading your build, it seems to confirm that having this build (and when considering the inefficiency/loss of potential when using an eGPU), I think I'm better off just selling my eGPU and GTX 1080 Ti and just sticking with the internal graphics card: GTX 1660 Ti, with an external monitor.

I bought the MSI GS65-Stealth today before I read your build...and I still have time to cancel my order if it's not the right laptop for me (but based on the above details, I think it is...)

Since I have been comparing all of my bench-marking on all of the above setups using 3DMark and Timespy, it would be awesome if I could see how this benchmark performs for you on your setup.  Specifically, I am curious to know the comparison as you did in your write up, comparing the internal to the external card, and then the external card with external monitor on this benchmark. 

I know we have different graphics cards, but both are near the top-end of consumer cards, and I'm more interested in seeing the trend for your setup on 3DMark.

Let me know if you can help - and thanks!  

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote