2019 15" MSI Prestige 15 (GTX1650) [10th,6C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTi...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 15" MSI Prestige 15 (GTX1650) [10th,6C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

zovc
 zovc
(@zovc)
Eminent Member

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I'm interested in this laptop.

Have you verified the PCI-e Lane behavior with the other M.2 slot? I was hoping to get this laptop and kit it out with a very fast 2TB drive and the Sabrent 8TB drive that came out recently. Still wanted to utilize an eGPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@zovc, I was not able to get the M.2 eGPU going with this MSI Prestige 15 so I didn't get a chance to see whether the second M.2 slot was a x4 PCIe connection.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
zovc
 zovc
(@zovc)
Eminent Member

@itsage, I tried asking a MSI rep here in Taipei and he told me that each SSD will use "two or three" lanes, which led me to believe he wasn't really sure what he was talking about. So I guess each NVME slot can only use x2 or even x1...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Geoffroy Ramier
(@geoffroy_ramier)

Hello @itsage,

Very nice build Smile

I have an MSI Prestige 15 too but with a GTX 1650 Max Q, and I would build an egpu. I have also a 2 TB3 ports and 2 nvme ports (one free).

Can you explain to me the difference between internal (GTX1080Ti eGPU FHD INT) and external in your table? I don't understand if it's TB3 vs NVME or TB3 vs Desktop.

I hesitate a lot between the TB3 and the nvme (ADT Link R43SG/TB3), because of the big drop in perf explained in several benchmarks (between 20 and 30% : https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/build-m2-vs-thunderbolt/ ). Did you test TB3 vs NVME on the Prestige 15?

From what I understand, the 40 Gbit of the TB3 is fake because Intel restricts it to 22 Gbit while with the NVMe it is 32 Gbit. Is it correct ?

The problem with nvme is that you have to open the back cover to connect, which limits portability or the plug and play side ...

I'm not afraid to make plastic modifications (the nvme port is really good placed for that cf picture). But I don't really know how to do, I would really like to have the nvme perfs (if they are really better than the TB3 on this laptop) while keeping the portability of this laptop which is of very very good quality I think Smile

Do you know any solutions, examples of builds like this ? I was thinking of creating a topic to ask for advice eventually.

I thought of an nvme card to a female TB3 port that I will fix on the interior side to add a clean home made TB3 port but which would not be limited to 22gdps (if it's the case) but I didn't find it...

Forgive me if there are any spelling mistakes, I am French.

Hope you can help me, good evening everyone Smile

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@geoffroy_ramier, eGPU FHD INT is loopback mode, using the GTX 1080 Ti to accelerate the internal display of the laptop. It works through Nvidia Optimus (GTX 1080 Ti eGPU + Intel iGPU). I had the GTX 1650 dGPU disabled through Device Manager so that the Intel iGPU powering the internal display for this mode to work.

I was not successful in getting the M.2 eGPU adapter to work with this MSI Prestige 15. The M.2 NVMe connection would have been faster than Thunderbolt 3 but like you said it becomes less portable. I would say to get a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure such as Mantiz Saturn Pro so that you have Power Delivery and an expansion dock on top of the eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Geoffroy Ramier
(@geoffroy_ramier)

Oh I'm sad ... I don't know if I'll give it a try. First, There was the plastics problem and if you tell me that the nvme way didn't work for you ...: / I'll ask other builders. Thank you for your answer ! Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  2