2019 16" Macbook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 21H2  

RSS

mazumba
(@mazumba)

System specs

Backstory

I got into eGPUs when I bought a mid-2015 maxed out Macbook Pro with TB2 connectors. Thats when I found this forum and got my RX580 working under Windows using automate-eGPU EFI with dGPU disabled.

So I thought "well, the 2019 MBP is the last intel Mac, and it has TB3, so this should be even easier!". Oh boy, was I wrong. The Error 12 drove me mad for at least a week, having worked on a solution after work until late. I tried them all: aa15032261's Error 12 fix, Benkenoefsen's Build with the left-right-left dance, HackFlags 0x600 fix .

I also started reading everything I could about the error 12 issue and why it is so hard to find a solution. I found a comment suggesting to disable the PCIe (x16) and PCIe (x8) controller in the device manager. Of course it did not work like a charm, but this was the last piece I needed to finish the puzzle.

Hopefully this guide will help another frustrated soul with their error 12 nightmare.

Installation steps

! Important ! (I think): Only use the top left TB3 (farthest away from you) for the eGPU!

STEP 1 (The part where there is no magic):

Install the latest Win10 Pro via Bootcamp and let Windows install its updates.

In Windows:

• Download the official AMD driver for your eGPU (for the RX580 card it was the Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL) from October 2021)
  • Download the latest DDU and extract the files

In Mac

Now you have all the pieces you need!

STEP 2 (Get to work):

In Windows:

DDU time:

• Reboot Windows in "Safe Mode"
  • Under options select everything for AMD and check the very last checkbox that prevents Windows to download new driver
  • Run DDU for GPU->AMD with "CLEAN and do NOT restart" 2-3 times
  • Shutdown and plug in your eGPU in the top left TB3 slot

(you dont need to remove the driver anymore. I think this step messed with some .dll files and corrupted my windows. I could not install steam for example due to "failed to load steamui.dll")

Driver time:

• Boot into Windows. Some popups should appear, saying they install a VGA card and an audio device. Thats ok.
  • Under "Device Manager" you should now see two "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" devices (the 5500M and the RX580), one having the dreadful yellow warning sign on it. Thats your eGPU.
  • Extract the AMD driver. It should extract files to C:\AMD and then either say something like "ERROR no GPU detected" or wanting to install RX580 drivers.
    For consistency of the guide, cancel the installation in both cases.
  • Select your eGPU device in the Device Manager and "Update driver". Select "Browse my computer for drivers" and point to the C:\AMD\Radeon-something\Packages\Drivers folder. Install driver and dont restart.

PCI disable time:

• In the Device Manager, go to "System devices" and disable the PCIe Controller (x16) 1901. That is where the dGPU is connected to.

You are done in Windows for now. Select the "Restart in macOS..." option in the Boot Camp tray icon to set macOS to the default boot system.

STEP 3 (Magic):

• It might take a while for Windows to start. Log in. The Device Manager should now show your iGPU as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and your eGPU as "Radeon RX580 series" with a yellow bang.

Magic time:

• Unplug your eGPU and wait (!) until you hear the "disconnect"-sound windows makes. It should take about 10 seconds. I realised that waiting for that sound works every time. I think this is the sound device being disabled on a delay.
  • Reconnect your eGPU on the same far left TB3 slot. You should hear several "connect"-sounds and the external display from the eGPU should work!
  • Important: Disable the iGPU from Windows driver installer! The internal display will only work, with the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver. Windows will try to install the intel driver, which will result in a black screen. Just follow this guide for the iGPU device.

For your next bootups, I recommend to cold-plug your eGPU and in the login screen do the 10 second unplug -> hot-plug step. This way when logging in, your eGPU is fully working and should be recognized better by your software (I had some problems with steam games thinking no graphics card is being used)

Final Thoughts

Some users mentioned, that since the 5500M is newer compared to the RX580, and is built with a different architecture, both cards can never share the same driver. I think that is the reason, why the bootcampdrivers never worked for me. It is also sad, that the iGPU is not working properly, so the internal display has a very bad refresh rate.

What I really like about this build is, that you can update your Windows without problems (so far). If for some reason (maybe a boot camp update) the drivers get replaced, just repeat the DDU step and reinstall the official driver from AMD for your card.

This topic was modified 7 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 21H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@tim_stacker)

Just as a second confirmation:

I got my 16inch Macbook Pro with the i7 and 5500m working on both Windows 10 (19H1) and 11 (21H2) with a Razer Core X (not Chroma) and a GTX 980.
Error 12 drove me nuts, but with the help of the boot64.efi it worked. It might work without it, but after endless driver reinstalls I have a running system now which I do not want to change.

It works most of the time without the left-right-left port dance, but sometimes it won't recognize the GPU, but I had similar issues with my HP G2 Dock, so I guess its some sort of built in error the macbook has with its TB3 ports on Windows.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 980 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 19H1 & Win11 21H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mazumba
(@mazumba)

I found another hickup, I stumbled upon just after finishing this build: Windows automatically detected the iGPU and installed a driver for it, thus resulting in a black screen on the internal display.

I had to blacklist the device from letting windows installing updates and remove the intel drivers to fix this.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 21H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote