2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004  

RSS

Hyun Kim
(@hyun_kim)

I've been itching to try out this new egpu implementation and monitoring the builds and reviews from this community for a year.

Recently I pulled the trigger on 2019 macbook pro 16'', and I wanted contribute my experience for others who are searching for more build info. 

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

2019 16" Macbook Pro

i9-9880H

Radeon Pro 5500M dGPU/32GB RAM/ 1TB SSD

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party  TB3 cable , any custom mods)

Razer Core X + GTX 1660Ti + Razer included 0.5m Thunderbolt 3 Cable

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. Or can link from say  http://imgur.com   BUT post the .jpg/.png image file rather than a link to it)

I will add some pics once I get more post history..

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Setting up was a smooth experience.

• Install Win10 through bootcamp [MacOS]
    • 2004 version 
  • Install drivers that came with the bootcamp installation [Win]
  • Restart computer and wait for the log-in screen (not connecting egpu yet) [Win] 
  • Unplug the laptop power brick (I didn't like the idea of 2 power connections)
  • Plug the egpu tb3 connector (when egpu is active, razer core will supply the power to laptop as well)
  • Power on thet razer core
  • Everything works with internal display using 5500M, external  monitor using 1660ti.

Boot instruction

Always power down razer core when the laptop is going to power cycle (ie. reboot). 

Cold plug does not work.

Benchmarks (Include a  CUDA-Z  or  AIDA64  bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

CUDA-Z Report
=============
Version: 0.10.251 64 bit http://cuda-z.sf.net/
OS Version: Windows x86 6.2.9200
Driver Version: 441.66
Driver Dll Version: 10.20 (26.21.14.4166)
Runtime Dll Version: 6.50

Core Information
----------------
Name: GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Compute Capability: 7.5
Clock Rate: 1830 MHz
PCI Location: 0:11:0
Multiprocessors: 24
Threads Per Multiproc.: 1024
Warp Size: 32
Regs Per Block: 65536
Threads Per Block: 1024
Threads Dimensions: 1024 x 1024 x 64
Grid Dimensions: 2147483647 x 65535 x 65535
Watchdog Enabled: Yes
Integrated GPU: No
Concurrent Kernels: Yes
Compute Mode: Default
Stream Priorities: Yes

Memory Information
------------------
Total Global: 6144 MiB
Bus Width: 192 bits
Clock Rate: 6001 MHz
Error Correction: No
L2 Cache Size: 48 KiB
Shared Per Block: 48 KiB
Pitch: 2048 MiB
Total Constant: 64 KiB
Texture Alignment: 512 B
Texture 1D Size: 131072
Texture 2D Size: 131072 x 65536
Texture 3D Size: 16384 x 16384 x 16384
GPU Overlap: Yes
Map Host Memory: Yes
Unified Addressing: Yes
Async Engine: No

Performance Information
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 1953.79 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 1416.54 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 2315.35 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 1653.17 MiB/s
Device to Device: 105.56 GiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 6015.23 Gflop/s
Double-precision Float: 161.399 Gflop/s
64-bit Integer: 1416.43 Giop/s
32-bit Integer: 5868.6 Giop/s
24-bit Integer: 2098.08 Giop/s

Generated: Sat Aug 29 01:27:03 2020

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

I'm expecting AMD gpu card to replace my old 1660 ti. Once it comes in, I will try another build with it.

Here are some issues and weird things I faced during my egpu journey. Note: this was only the issues for Win10, as GTX1660ti is not recognized in MacOS. hence no egpu on MacOS for now...

• I use a cheap thunderbolt 3 hub with 1x RJ45 connector, 3x USB 3.0 ports connected to 1 external ssd, keyboard and mouse.
    When the hub is connected, booting into bootcamp takes twice longer and the laptop sometimes doesn't recognize some or all of the ports after reboot.
    My guess is because of the thunderbolt 3 hub driver, but I am still investigating on this.
  • Audio driver is sometimes not loaded when egpu is hot plugged, however, this is solved by disabling -> enabling the audio driver from device manager

• Sleep mode:
     This is the most painful part of my current setup that I really want to resolve.
    Everytime I leave the machine for a long time, it enters a sleep mode, which is normal and expected.
    But whenever it wakes up from a long sleep mode, it always reboots to the apple logo -> OS selection [if I press the opt key in the right time].
    I've checked the system event log and found out that ACPI bios error [BSOD] shows up during the sleep, and the machine just restarts.

After some online searching, I've realized this is either because of two things.
    1. Thunderbolt 3 hub driver is old or incompatible with bootcamp
    2. AMD driver version/NVIDIA driver version

For #1, I think I can test out with different thunderbolt 3 hubs and see if the issue persists
    For #2, I am a bit scared to try different versions of AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers as the website states that internal display might not work. Is there any recommended version of AMD driver that is stable for internal display?

• Briefly tried PUBG with this setup and I'm happy with the performance. 1080p 60fps at high-ultra! [Temperature update: 50-56C throughout 30min session]

Overall, I had a lot of fun throughout the whole purchase, installation and testing.

I want to thank everyone who posted in this forum for such wonderful guides and information.

[UPDATE 31st Aug. 2020]

Thanks to @lazyplanter, the sleep issue I had was from hibernate option. When I disabled the hibernate from advanced power options, the sleep mode became stable.

[UPDATE#2] Two more newly found issues. Solved one of them.

Occasionally, there is BSOD caused by Broadcom bluetooth driver from dev. mgmt system especially during the reboot process.

There is a boot sequence to reject this error with high success rate, which I also found in this forum.

I don't reboot often, but if I have to, I found powering down the EGPU from task bar, disabling the Broadcom UART driver and un-plugging the USB devices from other thunderbolt 3 ports helps the speed of boot process and also the  stability.

Upon successful boot-up, I power on the egpu, connect the USB hub then enable the Broadcom UART to complete the boot sequence. This has given me the most stable W10 environment with only 1 remaining issue.

AMD library load error 87. I believe this is the AMD driver related issue. I will update more as I find solution for this one.

This topic was modified 1 month ago

2019 macbook pro 16'' 5500M (9th,8C,H) egpu-ed with gtx 1660 ti

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
lazyplanter
(@lazyplanter)

@hyun_kim, Regarding your sleep issue, have you disabled hibernation? I haven't faced this issue with my MacBook Pro 16 + 2070 Super. But I disabled hibernation a long time ago.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Hyun Kim
(@hyun_kim)

@lazyplanter, Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this!

2019 macbook pro 16'' 5500M (9th,8C,H) egpu-ed with gtx 1660 ti

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
PJBill
(@pjbill)

Have you tried disabling bluetooth altogether in bootcamp?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Parsa Tehrani
(@parsa_tehrani)

Posted by: @lazyplanter

@hyun_kim, Regarding your sleep issue, have you disabled hibernation? I haven't faced this issue with my MacBook Pro 16 + 2070 Super. But I disabled hibernation a long time ago.

Hey! Just wondering how was the process with installing a 2070? I’m very new to this and wondering if your process was similar to the op?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote