2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 // almost unattended boot  

of  2
  RSS

Alejandro Torres
(@alejandro_torres)

System specs 

2019 16" MacBook Pro (i9-9880H, 16GB RAM)

• iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • dGPU: Radeon Pro 5500M
  • MacOS 10.15.7
  • Windows 10 Pro

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps 

MacOS: Like many others found. MacOS was just a matter of plug & play.

Windows: I installed this before BUT had a problem with Windows and deleted the partition and started from 0 again so, based on the experience adquired the first time I did this simple steps just to try doing it faster. Lucky for me it worked. The first time I did not post the setup because I tried so many things I couldn't put all them written.

1. Do a clean Windows install with Bootcamp Assistant
  2. Disconnect the eGPU
  3. Once you start in Windows download the latest red driver pack from bootcampdrivers.com
  4. Disable the dGPU from devices administrator
  5. Execute DDU (just once, no need to execute it from safe mode) that comes with the downloaded drivers
  6. Connect the eGPU (Windows will install generic drivers, don't matter about that)
  7. Install the bootcampdrivers
  8. Optional (If you want to use just the external screen with the notebook lid closed) go to "advanced display settings" and disable the notebook screen (it is something like "show only in 1" or "show only in 2")  and set lid close action to "do nothing" in Power Options
  9. Restart

That's all. I did not touch anything related to uefi, neither had to execute DDU on safe mode, nor have to disconnect and connect again cables or patch pci.sys. I did all of this the first time and converted booting in windows a ritual of "turn off - disconnect eGPU - open notebook - turn on - presst alt key and select Windows - wait the special boot64.efi load - wait windows start loading - connect eGPU - close lid ...". Now I just select Bootcamp partition from the startup disk menu in MacOS, restart and it works, just have to wait a little for all USB periferals to work in Windows but must be the time it took me before summing all the actions I had to do before closing the mbp lid.

Benchmarks 

Comments

I bought all this to play COD MW which I can play at 90-110fps (maximun screen refresh rate I can set on my screen) but with an external fan to cool the CPU. As MBP heat disipation has a lot to do with the aluminum case I found this solution to maintain a much more stable CPU performance. You must take in account that even if Macbook Pros CPUs are powerful they are not designed to intensive gaming use. I have played this game with & without eGPU for 8 months almost daily and the days I forgot to turn on the air cooler the the CPU started to slow down and game crashed after a few mutiplayer games. If the air cooler is on the CPU stays cool enough to play at near 110fps (1920x1080 with high settings) as the GPU is at the same fps throughtput. If I had the 5700 or more powerful I think I could play at 3440x1440 at the same fps.

I use that big air cooler just because I had it, something smaller can work but just "aim" to the back/bottom side of the mbp. Prefer to put it with the air vents to the top (I have it the other way because of a cable length problem). When I touch it after hours of play it is just a little warm, if I do not turn the air cooler on it is hot as hell in a couple of minutes.

Prefer using DisplayPort over HDMI. At least for gaming I had frame drops with HDMI on the screen even when fps numbers were showing ok. I had noise instead of image when trying to play at 3440x1440 so I think it has to do with HDMI bandwith.

Use CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) on Windows to overclock resolution/screen refresh. On MacOS you can use SwitchResX.

This has nothing to do with the eGPU but discovered while learning about all of this: If you use an external monitor and it has a higher refresh rate than you are using, even if you use it just to work, try to use it at the top refresh rate. For me it makes me feel a smoother experience in general.

UPDATE:

I can boot between Windows and MacOS without touching anything (do not know how, the first weeks after the install sometimes I had to open the lid and press the power button). Looks like somehow Windows 'gets used' to the eGPU XD. NEVER change the cable connections as I did before this reinstall. That made Windows unrecoverable after trying to boot a couple of times and running the self repair tool.

CYBERPUNK 2077

I can run the game at 30-50fps on high (not ultra) settings on 1080p. It is good enough for me to enjoy the game 😉

This topic was modified 4 months ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 // almost unattended boot [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
karant
(@karant)

Thank you for the build details, @alejandro_torres.  I have a 2020 MBP 16 (i9 9980HK 8 core 2.4 Ghz @ 3.5ghz, 5500M 8GB, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD) on the way that I am planning to connect to my existing Razer Core X Chroma + Radeon RX 5700 XT and hoping that I can follow the same steps as you did.  Which exact version of Windows 10 did you install?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.1.0 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alejandro Torres
(@alejandro_torres)

@karant, I just downloaded the latest windows 10 iso from the microsoft download site. I did not take any care to choose or search a different version.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 // almost unattended boot [build link]  

ReplyQuote
karant
(@karant)

@alejandro_torres, can you please check your Windows 10 version via Start button > Settings > System > About and let me know?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.1.0 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alejandro Torres
(@alejandro_torres)

sure @karant, 19042.631

ReplyQuote
Guma
 Guma
(@guma)

Thx for this post, i have nowhope that amd cards can be used in win as well. What about this setup with internal display? Is it working with good results?

one hint for the cpu temperatures, try to set cpu to 99% usage only, this will cause turbo boost turning off. I believe the clamshell mode position is upsidedown as the hot air outlets are now bottom, i would put them up..

thanks

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500XT) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
karant
(@karant)

@alejandro_torres, do you have your TB3 cable plugged into back left port?  There seems to be some conflicting information on the forum on what is the best TB3 port to use on 2019/2020 MBP 16...

ReplyQuote
Alejandro Torres
(@alejandro_torres)

@karant yes, on that port. I forgot to mention that

@guma, thank you. As I mentioned the notebook is "upside down" because I have length problems with the ubs cables

ReplyQuote
ageekinthecity
(@ageekinthecity)

@alejandro_torres, hey could you please clarify when you install the Apple Bootcamp drivers, if at all? 

thanks 🙏🏻 

Also, if you don't mind, how do you disable the dGPU? When I simply click on disable driver on Device Manager, somehow it ends up being automatically re-enabled.

PS. I’m trying this setup with my new 6800XT... 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Alejandro Torres
(@alejandro_torres)

@ageekinthecity, 6800XT... omg you HAVE to make it work! The Apple bootcamp drivers are installed automatically on the first boot, that is unnatended. After that disable (not uninstall, just disable) the dGPU (in my case the 5500M) and then you have to run the DDU that comes with Adrenalin bootcamdrivers (from bootcampdrivers.com). After that run the new drivers installer. Tell me how it works!

ReplyQuote
 of  2