2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th, 6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th, 6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [VoliCrank]  

RSS

VoliCrank
(@volicrank)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system which eGPU is being used)

MacBook Pro 16" (2019)

LG Ultrafine 23.7 inch 4K (2nd gen I think) from Apple

Intel 9th gen i7

Radeon 5300M

Win10

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable , any custom mods)

Razer Core X

Nvidia RTX 3070

Moshi Display Port to USB-C

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for "attach files" button to appear. Or can link from say http://imgur.com   BUT post the .jpg/.png image file rather than a link to it)

later..

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Seeing that there weren't many posts with LG Ultrafine, I decided to contribute my build (completed today!)

I naively thought I could plug and play with Ultrafine -> MBP <- EGPU, but I was very wrong. I tried to make it work by activating iGPU (with efi sth sth but never really succeeded so I gave up). The solution was pretty nice; I only needed to buy a bidirectional display port to usb-c cable (Moshi works from Apple's website but I think bidirectional cables should generally work).  So now my setup is as follows Ultrafine -> EGPU (via Moshi) -> MBP (via thunderbolt 3 cable from Razer Core X).

The only caveat is I have to unplug everything from my LG Ultrafine (ie keyboard, mouse and SSD) and connect them directly to my MacBook because the moshi cable cannot do it apparently. I thought of connecting my Macbook to the LG UltraFine and use it as a USB Hub, but it doesn't work either. The setup took a lot of digging because not many people use LG Ultrafine from Apple here (which is good! I regret so much buying that overpriced screen; it's only nice if you use it the way Apple intended you to ie not in Windows). So I hope this build helps those of you with LG Ultrafine from Apple.

As for installing the EGPU, it's just plug and play. I usually try to hot-plug it (during Windows loading screen) or just boot with EGPU on. Both ways work consistently and I didn't have to uninstall dGPU which was nice. In essence the dGPU and EGPU work nicely together and I never really encountered error 12. 

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

Didn't do any, but I played Overwatch with highest settings with ~210 FPS.

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th, 6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Thank you for your build. We love seeing pictures of eGPU hardware so feel free to insert or link (eg: imgur.com).

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

While my Ultrafine has been a constant pain I am still yet to find a monitor that matches it so do still love it (have ordered an EVE but not sure if that will ever really become reality).

IIRC there are some VR cables that will cary the USB ports to the MacBook, USB C one end and display port and USB A the other so you plug a display port into the GPU and the USB A into the MacBook with the USB C going to the monitor. Google is coming up blank so I may be wrong but hopefully someone smarter will chime in and correct/point in the right direction.

And yeah, would love to see some set up pics!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
VoliCrank
(@volicrank)

@eightarmedpet, Hi yes I think VR cables work! But I'd still have to plug in the VR usb-A (there are 2 usb-A when I googled Huawei VR cable) every time compared to plugging in my keyboard and SSD, so still not great (I decided to leave my mouse plugged in to my Mac perpetually). I guess I will have to live with that now, but I'm sure eventually my laziness will get to me and I will think of a better solution.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th, 6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Connection methods that include USB: Belkin Charge and Sync cable, Wacom Link Plus, etc.
https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/does-a-usb-c-monitor-support-displayport-input-over-a-usb-c-to-displayport-cable/paged/4/#post-79127

Club-3D CAC-1332 is an HDMI to USB-C adapter which can work if you don't have DisplayPort. It supports USB 2.0 data for USB features of display (audio, USB hub, camera, brightness control, presets, etc.) even though they don't advertise that feature.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote