2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [Ningauble77] // inc Radeon VII @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) macOS 10.15.1  

of  3
  RSS

DaMafiaGamer
(@damafiagamer)

@itsage

Hi guys sorry to revive this thread,

I seem to be in the same position as @tsygna where I have a sonnet breakaway box 550w but I have an rtx 2080 ti and the i9 edition of the MacBook Pro. I can get the egpu working on the external display only, extended of course, but never on the internal display (which is what I bought it for lol).

I have windows 1903 installed, which seems the most friendly with egpu setups compared to 1909 which used the amd gpu for everything regardless of the egpu. I have changed Nvidia settings to use the rtx 2080 ti for OpenGL. Need to check the PhysX option which I'll get done after work.

Is there anyway I can just use a HDMI dummy plug, attach it to the gpu and use the internal screen only? At the moment with an actual display attached I can't make it primary, the option is blanked out. It either says use display 1 or display 2, extend or duplicate. When I choose display 2 the egpu works perfectly on an external screen as the DGPU is cut out of the equation. Why can't apple make it easy and disable the dgpu and enable the igpu with egpu detection. Working with intel graphics is like bread and butter for me.

I just want it working lol, I went through the effort of putting liquid metal on the MacBook Pro 3 hours after getting it (fairly easy to disassemble, tutorial would be on NBR forums soon) and liquid metalling the rtx 2080 ti, as well as doing tdp mods and vbios mods on it to make the bottleneck literally unnoticeable with the amount of overclock I'm doing.

Edit: Even with high performance selected in Windows graphics options the internal display still utilises the Radeon 5500M instead of the 2080 ti

I saw your gtx 1080 ti setup with the MacBook and was quite impressed to say the least. 

Sorry for the long post, I hope I can get the problem across.

This post was modified 2 years ago

MacBook Pro 16'' - i9 9880H, 16GB DDR4 2666MHz, 1TB SSD, AMD RX 5500M + RTX 2080 Ti (Sonnet Breakaway eGPU enclosure)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@damafiagamer The only possibility to accelerate the internal display with eGPU is through Windows Hybrid graphics. This is done by going to Graphics settings then manually assign the High performance GPU to the game EXE.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DaMafiaGamer
(@damafiagamer)

[Please login to see this]

Thanks for replying quickly,

Yep I did that but the Radeon GPU is still utilised on the internal display. I tried 3dmark, unigine, furmark and a couple of games. All set to high performance whilst the display is shown to be extended and NOT mirrored. I’ve reinstalled Nvidia drivers too, I don’t know what I’m doing wrong... 

If I go into display settings and choose only display 2 the external gpu works completely fine and the internal goes black (as it should). 

Maybe the laptop isn’t compatible with the rtx 2080 ti? Or there must be some driver settings I haven’t messed with yet.

MacBook Pro 16'' - i9 9880H, 16GB DDR4 2666MHz, 1TB SSD, AMD RX 5500M + RTX 2080 Ti (Sonnet Breakaway eGPU enclosure)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@damafiagamer

If you render using eGPU on to a display not connected to it (such as internal display) then there will be activity on both GPUs - the eGPU as well as the GPU connected to the display (data is copied across GPU framebuffers). Is your issue that the RTX is not utilized at all on internal display after setting high performance?

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tsygna
(@tsygna)

@damafiagamer

@DaMafiaGamer

Hey brother maybe this info will help even though it’s basic and you sound like you know what you’re doing. For me the problems were all basic Windows settings and easy to fix but because this is my first eGPU took me a while to realize.

Software wise I used bootcamp to auto-install the most recent version of Windows, then updated Windows. I also downloaded the newest drivers from NVIDIA. So all the software is what is straightforward and the newest. I didn’t download any specific versions. Hardware wise I have to have my eGPU turned on, but not connected to my MBP until Windows is booted up. Then I connect and it is recognized properly. Next I went to display options. I chose to extend displays. Then I went back to the top where both displays are labeled as 1 and 2, clicked the display I wanted to be primary - click it so it is highlighted. Then I scrolled back down and marked the box that says use as primary. Everything then worked fine, and as a second measure, in graphics settings I do manually add each program .exe file for the programs I want, and choose the max performance setting.

It should work for you too since now we both have almost the same setup as I took back my base model MBP and got an i9 version like you, and we both have 2080 but yours is a ti and I have a super. For me it was just user error and lack of knowledge since this is my first eGPU.

Hope this helps sorry if I misunderstood your question.

16" MBP 2019: i7 6-cores, dGPU Radeon 5300M, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Gigabyte Nvidia 2080 Super enclosed in Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DaMafiaGamer
(@damafiagamer)

@tsygna

@itsage

Thank you both for your help, I got it working in the end but the bottleneck was so severe, talking a 40% loss in performance, that I just went out and bought a used 4k 28'' monitor off gumtree.

I have that connected and I've got to say I'm impressed by Samsungs 4k display's, calibrated it can get close to even the MacBook Pro screen! Well I guess I now have the portability factor and the gaming factor too.

@Mac_editor

You are 100% correct and this gpu frame buffer issue is what causes the performance loss. I wish apple could make a 16'' MacBook with just the i9 cpu without dedicated graphics, that as an option alone would automatically allocate the CPU more wattage and higher clock speeds, making it a true productivity laptop. Something that could get close to the 9900k like my HP Omen 17'' with the same i9 cpu as the MacBook.

Here's my final setup, slightly cramped but will do. Damn I love this new monitor lol

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @damafiagamer

You are 100% correct and this gpu frame buffer issue is what causes the performance loss.

Your decision to get an external display was a good one.

The reason for performance loss is actually thunderbolt latency (which comes up due to the framebuffer copy in this scenario). Memory copy across framebuffers is actually generally fine (NVIDIA Optimus does this), but when doing the copy over two GPUs connected via Thunderbolt (as here), the latency is simply too great (back and forth communication).

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DaMafiaGamer
(@damafiagamer)

@mac_editor

The CPU now runs cooler too as the internal GPU isn't utilised as much when the external display is active. I can get around 10-15w more out of the CPU so games should run smoother too. 

An external display was the best option to be honest. Thanks for your help bro.

ReplyQuote
antar3s
(@antar3s)

Hey there. Sorry for resurrecting this thread. I am also planning to buy into an eGPU with my new 16-inch MacBook Pro and the setup I had in mind is quite similar to the OP's (just one eGPU - Core X Chroma - with an Nvidia card - GTX 2070/2080). The main purpose for the eGPU would be gaming under bootcamp on an external monitor and I do not need the eGPU under macOS.

I was wondering if it is possible to close the MacBook while running Windows under bootcamp on an external display?! My ideal setup would then just consist of the MacBook connected to the eGPU via TB3. The eGPU would then run the external display via DP or HDMI, not using the internal display. Whenever I switch to macOS I would connect the display directly to the MacBook via USB-C.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

Yes, all you need to do is go to power options->additional power settings->choose what closing the lid does, and on ac power tell it to do nothing.  You also may want to disable sleep on ac power, I've had minor issues with this setup after wakeup (may have to do with the secondary enclosure with the disabled gpu tho).

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 20H2 // inc Radeon VII & 4xGPU concurrent benchmarks [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  3