2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [Ningauble77] // inc Radeon VII @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) macOS 10.15.1  

of  3
  RSS

antar3s
(@antar3s)

@ningauble77

Many thanks for your reply! It's going to be my first try at an eGPU build and I have been lurking here for some time to get a feeling for how complicated it is. Seems doable with Nvidia and Bootcamp only. Hope to report my own build in a few weeks 😊 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Jiiiiice
(@jiiiiice)

@antar3s, hi, have you built it? Happy? I have mbp 2019 16” with 5500m 8gb and still wondering if I should go with egpu 2080 or 2070 super vs spending more money (double) and buy gaming pc. I only play VR on rift S for now, and hopefully on some kind of valve index 2 or so in a year?

2019 MBP-i9-32GB ram-5500m 8gb-Bootcamp Windows 10 - Rift S.
Looking at RTX eGPU with Razer Chroma x

ReplyQuote
antar3s
(@antar3s)

@jiiiiice, Yes, indeed I built the setup MBP 2019 16 inch + Core X Chroma + 2070 Super. The system was essentially plug&play for me under bootcamp. I should say that I exclusively use an external monitor and already had the AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com installed before for the internal GPU (for whatever that's worth) and upon first plugging the eGPU in, I installed the nvidia drivers regularly (no problems there, too). After installing the nvidia drivers, the external monitor automatically lit up, and I just changed the Win10 settings so that the internal monitor is always off. Since that initial setup my startup sequence has 100% success rate: Boot into Windows with the eGPU unplugged. Hot plug the eGPU when the login screen appears, wait until the internal screen turns itself off and the external monitor lights up. Then I close the MacBook and proceed with the login to Win10. From there everything works as expected, never had issues with Bluetooth or other devices. Performance is great, as expected I get a few frames less that a regular desktop tower with similar hardware (perhaps 20-30% less fps compared to the typical benchmarks I find).

For the moment, I would perhaps hold off buying a RTX 20** card as the 30** cards are most likely going to show up sometime during next month. 😉 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  3