2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer C...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004  

of  4
  RSS

eGangsterProcessingUnit
(@egangsterprocessingunit)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone,

I'll get straight to the point. This combination of components is fantastic and works well consistently boot after boot. I thought I'd share my setup process and experiences so that people who are interested in investing in an eGPU-MacBook build can have an in-depth tutorial and possibly get excited to dig into the world of gaming on MacBooks. So here it is.

Hardware and software specifications:

Basic points:

• This process is very simple, easy to follow and has critical steps that are key to maximising performance and preventing damage to your computer and graphics card. Do not deviate from the steps as you may do something that can negatively impact your outcome. I have done this process in many different ways and encountered all sorts of problems (as well as tips and tricks) resulting in re-installing windows 5 times and doing it all again. I have found the perfect way now.
  • It is possible that you may fail to successfully get your eGPU working as everyone's computer can act differently. However, I can ensure you that there is a solution to every problem you encounter, it just takes patience.
  • This build tutorial is focused on Nvidia cards ONLY. AMD cards have a much more complicated and tedious process and this tutorial will not work for those cards. I strongly recommend getting Nvidia cards if you are focussed solely on gaming on Bootcamp and do not care about needing extra performance in Mac OS.
  • It is very important to not carelessly insert and take out your eGPU thunderbolt cable from your MacBook as this may cause file corruption, BSODs and other nasty business. Keep your eGPU thunderbolt cable plugged out of your MacBook until I say.

Installation steps:

1. Down load the latest version of Windows 10 from Microsoft's website (Windows 10 2004 19041.329)
  2. Create a Bootcamp disk partition using Bootcamp Assistant and select the ISO file you have just downloaded.
  3. Computer will now restart and install windows 10. I recommend going for the Pro version of windows 10 as it will give you access to gpedit and allows further modification but you can choose whatever version you want as this is not important.
  4. Once you have finished the installation of windows, there should be a window (Bootcamp drivers) already open that will prompt you to download files that will allow you to use your touchbar and other Apple hardware. Go through this and then your computer will restart.
  5. Once your computer has booted back up, go to bootcampdrivers.com and download any edition of the AMD drivers. We will not actually be using the drivers themselves but the Display Driver Uninstaller that comes packaged with it that works consistently well.
  6. Go into the AMD Driver file you have just downloaded and double click the file that says DDU v18.0.2.3 and then press extract. You must check that the files have been successfully extracted as sometimes they may not. If they have not extracted just double click it and extract again.
  7. Afterwards, press start, then power, then hold shift and press restart whilst still holding shift.
  8. A blue screen should appear. Press troubleshoot, then press advanced options and then start-up settings. Press restart. Computer will restart and then ask what start-up option you want. Press the number 4 on your keyboard to select safe mode.
  9. Once in safe mode. Go and find your DDU v18.0.2.3 file that has been extracted and select Display Driver Uninstaller.exe. Make sure you tick all the boxes in the AMD section including the box that says 'Not Recommended'.
  10. Select GPU and AMD from the drop down settings in device type and device select.
  11. Press 'Clean and DO NOT restart'. Your AMD drivers will now be deleted. Run the 'Clean and DO NOT restart' process two more times then press 'Clean and restart'.
  12. Once your computer has booted up wait 2 minutes for it to fully setup and get ready for eGPU insertion. Make sure there is no external stuff connected to your laptop such as keyboard, mouse, storage...
  13. Make sure your eGPU is powered up and is connected to an external monitor. Insert the eGPU thunderbolt cable to the TOP LEFT thunderbolt 3 port of your laptop (the port on your left that is closest to your screen). Your computer should make a noise indication something has connected.
  14. You must now wait until something happens such as your screen flickering, your external monitor turning on or maybe something else. Most likely there will be notifications saying that something has connected. If nothing appears to be happening, go to device manager and expand Display adapters to see if there is more than 1 display adapter listed. If there is only one display adapter (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) SHUTDOWN your computer, disconnect eGPU, boot up windows, wait couple minutes then insert eGPU again.
  15. Go to device Manager and then expand Display adapters. There should be 2 Microsoft Basic Display Adapters listed or if your lucky it should say your Nvidia graphics card name and a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
  16. If your graphics card does show, press properties and then drivers and check the date the driver was released. Most likely it is old so it will need to be updated by downloading latest drivers for your graphics card from Nvidia.
  17. If your graphics card doesn't show up in device manager, that is okay so don't worry about it. All you have to do is download the latest official drivers from Nvidia for your card.
  18. Once you have downloaded the driver package it should say something like checking system requirements first. This will install new drivers that will make your eGPU happy and ready to rumble.
  19. Once the drivers have been installed check device manager to see if your graphics card is now there (if it wasn't there before) and if it is there press properties then drivers and see the release date of those driver to see if they have been updated. 
  20. You should now SHUTDOWN your computer, unplug your eGPU cable and boot your computer into windows. Wait for around 2 minutes (this is very important as sometimes your computer is still setting up and randomly slapping a GPU into its face can cause it to BSOD). After around 2 minutes, insert your eGPU (insert it always in the TOP LEFT port). Do nothing now and just wait because it takes sometime for the computer to recognize and use the eGPU. Your monitor should eventually turn and you may have an extended display. 
  21. Enjoy gaming on your MacBook 😉

Comments:

• So that's basically it. Sorry if I haven't gone into too much detail and left you confused but Nvidia cards are pretty straight-forward; install windows, delete AMD drivers and install new Nvidia drivers.
  • I have explored how to maximise performance from my GPU (and CPU) using MSI Afterburner and MacsFanControl. So far I am extremely happy and I actually really enjoyed exploring how I could get the eGPU to work in the best possible way.
  • Feel free to ask anything. There are options in Nvidia control Panel that allow you to increase performance by quite a bit. If you want to know anything regarding my GPU fan setting, MacBook fan setting and also how to overclock please just say so.
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

nando4 and CTRKodiaK liked
ReplyQuote
EugeneKR
(@eugenekr)

Hi). Thank you for the instructions. I also bought the latest Masvook Pro 16 + Razer Core X Chroma and also I bought a Nvidia RTX Titan video card to figure out what
this video card is not supported by Razer EGPU ((But I saw that one guy connected the same bundle to MAcbook pro 2018 and it worked on bootcamp. That’s why I believed that it can work. I’ve been suffering for a month and can’t find a way to start all this ((Do you think your instruction will help to earn all this?

Macbook Pro 16 (2019) Full, Razer Core x Chroma, Nvidia RTX Titan

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

Hi @eugenekr,

Even though the RTX Titan doesn't appear to be supported on Razer's website I'm sure it can be used with the latest MacBook 16 using that enclosure. My instructions should most likely allow you to use your eGPU given that you follow it exactly. I have read his build and he does not mention removing the drivers for the dGPU at all which I have seen myself to cause many problems when using an eGPU. It isn't as simple as just plugging in the Nvidia eGPU and expecting it to work as some people have described. 

Could you tell me what version of windows you are using? I can confirm 100% that Windows 10 Pro version 2004 build 19041.329 (latest update) works perfectly with Nvidia cards after the removal of the AMD drivers. Other versions may work but I haven't tried yet.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
EugeneKR
(@eugenekr)

@egangsterprocessingunit, that OS - Windows 10.0.18363.778 Version 1909 (updated April 2020) - MSDN 

Macbook Pro 16 (2019) Full, Razer Core x Chroma, Nvidia RTX Titan

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@eugenekr,

That version should work.

Once you have followed my instructions for the setup you should follow these instruction to force your eGPU to be recognised and used only for external display. 

• Launch windows and wait 2 minutes then insert eGPU cable into top left port. Your computer may or may not recognise it as a RTX Titan card.
  • Install MSI Afterburner
  • Launch Afterburner. It should show that Microsoft Basic Display Adapter as the only visible GPU.
  • Close MSI Afterburner then open it again. Your RTX Titan should now be recognised as available GPUs to be modified.
  • If your GPU has been successfully recognised in MSI Afterburner then go to settings system, display then select "show only on 2". Hopefully your internal screen will shut off and your external screen will now be your primary display utilising only your eGPU.
  • Sometimes the resolution may not be the native resolution of your external monitor (as it may still be using the iGPU). Go to Nvidia control panel/settings, set up multiple displays then keep spamming the box where it says 'Drag the icons to match your display configurations'. There should only be one box with the number 1 in it. After dragging it around and spam clicking it an option will appear at the bottom saying 'apply'. Press that and now your computer should be using only eGPU to output to the external display.

Hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
Piupiupiu
(@piupiupiu)

Hi,

I followed every step, after I uninstalled the AMD driver and rebooted, the device manager does not show my card. I tried to install the latest Nvidia graphics driver, but the installation shows "This nvidia driver Windows version is not compatible, this graphics program can not find compatible graphics hardware."Does this mean that my Windows version does not support my graphics card? 

My hardware and software:

2019 MacBook Pro 16inch i7-9750H 5500M 16G 1T

Razer core x

GTX 1070

Windows 10 Pro (2004)

Alienware AW2518HF monitor 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@piupiupiu

The latest windows version does support it, most versions do. I experienced that problem too and what I did was delete the Nvidia drivers that is just downloaded, restart computer, insert eGPU when booted up then download and install the drivers again.

ReplyQuote
CTRKodiaK
(@ctrkodiak)

@egangsterprocessingunit, Thank you for this setup guide. I have a question about the external monitor setup. You have a TB3 cable from your egpu to the upper left side port on your MBP, but what type of connection are using from your graphics card to your monitor? Do you also connect your monitor to your MBP

2019 MacBook Pro 16" core i9 32 GB AMD 5500M , Razer Core X, RTX2080 super, LG Ultra fine 4K

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

Hey @ctrkodiak

I use a display port cable from my eGPU to my monitor. You get the maximum possible performance this way.

ReplyQuote
CTRKodiaK
(@ctrkodiak)

@egangsterprocessingunit, Thank you! Do you need a cable form your external monitor to your MBP in boot camp when you are using your egpu?  I know this seems redundant but I couldn't get my external monitor working after I followed your guide.(I have a TB3 cable from my MBP to my monitor when running Mac OS and of course I'm not using the EGPU on the Mac side).  I will try again tomorrow. 

2019 MacBook Pro 16" core i9 32 GB AMD 5500M , Razer Core X, RTX2080 super, LG Ultra fine 4K

ReplyQuote
 of  4