2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer C...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004  

of  3
  RSS

eGangsterProcessingUnit
(@egangsterprocessingunit)
Eminent Member

@ctrkodiak

When on BootCamp you should always connect your monitor to your eGPU. I'm sure your GPU has a USB-C port that can be used to connect to your monitor. If you connect your monitor to your MacBook you well get a lot less performance.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

CTRKodiaK liked
ReplyQuote
CTRKodiaK
(@ctrkodiak)

@egangsterprocessingunit, Thanks again, I followed your procedure today with great success! External monitor in use and gaming working very well in Windows with the egpu. Did you have any issues when you booted back into Mac OS, when I returned to the Mac side my computer was lagging badly and the graphics were a bit glitchy. Do you think that uninstalling the AMD  drivers in Windows could possibly have any effect on the Mac OS?

2019 MacBook Pro 16" core i9 32 GB AMD 5500M , Razer Core X, RTX2080 super, LG Ultra fine 4K

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@ctrkodiak

I had no issues at all with Mac OS. Uninstalling AMD drivers in windows will not uninstall the AMD drivers in Mac OS. When switching between OS, you should shutdown your computer and unplug the eGPU then press the power button whilst holding option allowing you to select which OS you want. Restarting into Mac OS or Windows 10 may cause problems so you should always boot from a shutdown with eGPU unplugged.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
CTRKodiaK
(@ctrkodiak)

@egangsterprocessingunit, again thank you!

2019 MacBook Pro 16" core i9 32 GB AMD 5500M , Razer Core X, RTX2080 super, LG Ultra fine 4K

ReplyQuote
Zerong Yang
(@zerong_yang)

@egangsterprocessingunit.

Hi Smile Thanks for your instructions. I have two questions:

Do you have to uninstall the AMD drivers? I saw some one installed the Nvidia driver without deleting AMD driver, and it was working fine.

If you delete the AMD driver, is the AMD dGPU still working without using the Nvidia eGPU in bootcamp?

Thank you so much

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

Hi @zerong_yang

Bootcamp also runs smooth with the AMD drivers however I strongly recommend uninstalling them. From my experience I have found many problems running an eGPU with AMD drivers such as Bluetooth not working and causing the computer to BSOD when turned on, instability in games, not being able to use the touchbar on certain occasions and many other problems. In addition, when you cold-plug the eGPU whilst having AMD drivers it causes the computer to hang then crash when booting up and also inserting the eGPU once fully booted (hot-plug) up has a much higher possibility of the computer crashing as opposed to not having AMD drivers.

ReplyQuote
-spark0-
(@spark0)

@egangsterprocessingunit -- thank you so much for these instructions. I followed them on my 2019 16" MBP with Razer Core X Chroma and the EVGA RTX 2070 Super and got all the drivers working smoothly. But, I am having one issue: while most applications clearly work through the eGPU (as noted by the nVidia Control Panel), nothing that runs over Steam does, even when I add the local .exe file via the nVidia Control Panel or nVidia GeForce Experience. Any advice on what might be happening here? I have an external monitor plugged in, and my MBP next to it with extended desktop. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@spark0

This problem is due to your internal display being the primary display. If your internal display is the primary display, which isn't running off the egpu, it will start most applications without using the egpu to run off it. To solve this problem you can go into settings, display and then instead of using 'Extended Display' select 'show only on 2'. This solution will unfortunately limit you to using your external monitor only but it should solve your problem with steam not using the egpu.

Another solution that has been mentioned before allows the use of two screens: Go to Nvidia control panel/settings, set up multiple displays then keep spamming the box where it says 'Drag the icons to match your display configurations'. There should only be one box with the number 1 in it. After dragging it around and spam clicking it an option will appear at the bottom saying 'apply'. Press that and now your computer should now only be using your eGPU to run the external display (Your external monitor should be your primary display).

ReplyQuote
-spark0-
(@spark0)

@egangsterprocessingunit -- you are 100% right. Changing the primary display did it. Thanks!

I'd love to buy you a coffee sometime for your help (you saved me a lot of time and headache!). If you have a link for some type of tip please PM me! Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
eGangsterProcessingUnit
Eminent Member

@spark0, Im happy you have found my solutions useful!  Best wishes Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  3